Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why save endangered animals?

1. Jun 11, 2006 #1
    It may be a stupid question, but it's real, and I can't come up with any good reasons to why should we save endangered animals. Any ideas?

F.ex, Would anything important happen if there were no grizzly bears?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We should save all the species that we, as humans, have made endangered either directly (hunting / detroying habitat) or indirectly(upsetting ecosystem). All others (very small number) we should allow nature to take its course.

4. Jun 11, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How do we know nature is only accounting for a small number? What are the percentages?

5. Jun 11, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, I would imagine it to be a very small number. I think penguins are one of the only species we have not had an effect on :tongue2: ; although there is still time...

6. Jun 11, 2006 #5
    Yes, but seriously, Hootenanny, do you have a good reason to why save?
    And wait, let me ask you another silly question? What's the importance of animals in our environment?

7. Jun 11, 2006 #6

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well for one, if we have endagered their species, surely it is upto as a humans to do whatever we can to sustain their species? And for two all animals (except insects and arachnids) are beautiful and magestic. I for one would be sad to see them go. Do you have a good reason for not saving these species?

8. Jun 11, 2006 #7
    Well, some beautiful ones tend to be quite killy as well, large cats, etc.

9. Jun 11, 2006 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All lifeforms are integral to our enviroment as a whole. You remove / add one species and that could unbalance an entire ecosystem. The point was emphisied when rabbits were introduced into austrailia.

10. Jun 11, 2006 #9

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I still would rather save them than see them disappear from the face of the earth.

11. Jun 11, 2006 #10
    I'll see whether I have good reasons for why not to save them if I get the good reason for saving them because as of now, my knowledge of environmental science isn't too high, and the reason I'm thinking about may be just empty piece of words without truth in itself.
    OK, so your reason is beauty and their unique existance?

12. Jun 11, 2006 #11

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And RE post number 8, every lifeform is integral to an ecosystem. But surely beauty alone is a sufficent reason as any.

13. Jun 11, 2006 #12
    Ok, let me ask another question, which animals do you think are not beautiful?

14. Jun 11, 2006 #13

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Because it's the right thing to do! That's good enough for me. :cool:

15. Jun 11, 2006 #14

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a said before, arachnids, as I have arachnidphobia and certain insects.

16. Jun 11, 2006 #15
    and how do you know saving them is a right thing to do? :tongue2:

17. Jun 11, 2006 #16
    Because many ecosystems will break down if certain animals become extinct...isn't that enough?

...and the golden rule #2 of course: Treat animals as you would want to be treated. ;)

18. Jun 11, 2006 #17
    Animals such as tigers and owls are intelligent, living things like you and I and thus some would argue that to kill them unnecessarily is evil. It would follow that if your people had a part in almost annihilating that animal's entire species then it would only be right to at least make an attempt to reverse the damages you've caused. If a species is naturally dying out (i.e. without human intervention) then I suppose the only reason someone would want to save them would be just for the sake of having them around. There may also be repercussions having to do with the food chain etc. but you'd have to ask a biologist about that since I'm not very familiar with the subject.

19. Jun 11, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Because I am part of the interdependent web of all existence. It is a matter of stewardship.

20. Jun 11, 2006 #19
    OK, but don't you think that once 90% (more or less) of girls become really beautiful, all of them somehow lose their beauty on its own and become ordinary girls, and their look starts too be judged not after beauty anymore but after ugliness? I think similar is with animals, when most of them are beautiful, they aren't somehow special, and rather the importance to the environment should be the criteria and not the beauty. Because how would it change the environment if every arachnid were substituted with a lion?

Yes, but if the species are already endangered, and the environment still exists, then total extinction of a species, wouldn't further break the environment (only I think). And again as above, how would the environment break down, if there were no grizzly bears or sea cows?

21. Jun 11, 2006 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How boring would this planet be with just humans!?

That's good enough for me.

Your question is similiar to asking why stop if a pedestrian starts to walk across the road? It won't affect us if that person dies. Might as well not stop and just hit the person.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?