Why should life have a meaning ?

• Thread starter Langbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "meaning" and whether or not life should have a meaning. Some argue that it is a natural human inclination to seek meaning, while others question the importance of having a meaning at all. Nietzsche, an atheist, believed in the concept of existentialism, where individuals create their own meaning in life through their actions. However, the question arises as to why Nietzsche, and others, have such a strong desire for meaning if it is not inherently necessary. This raises the question of whether or not meaning is something that is simply a product of the human mind.
Langbein said:
Some people ask about "the meaning of life".

But what does it then mean that one's life or "anything" has a "meaning" ?

But what is then the meaning of the meaning, and why is meaning such a good thing to have ? Why isn't the condition of "no meaning at all" bether than the condition of "having a meaning" ?

What is then meaning ?

Nietzche speaks about the new meaning about everything and why values have to be reorientated and rechoosed or reevaluated, but I can not see that he give any arguments why there should be a meaning at all ?

What is "meaning" and why is "meaning" such a good thing, and why is not "meaningsless" or "freedom from meaning" a more preferable condition ?

If "meaning" should be something importent or preferable is it then a good idea to live ones life without knowing what meaning is, or why it is important ?

The simplest of answer is that Life must have a meaning because a meaningless life is simply not worth living. Try to think and act senselessly or non-directionally and you'll probably appreciate precisely what I am getting at here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not read the rest of the posts, but I will post about this:

Langbein said:
Could the answer to this question:
"Why is a part of the the human nature to ask for a meaning ?"

Well, my friend, you are asking about... what?
I mean: it is natural to you to ask about the meaning of life?
You are a human, right?
You may deny that you have interest in the meaning of life, but anyways you are speaking about it. As you are human, I assume, then probably it is natural to all humans to be concerned about it.
Your answer to this question may differ from mine, but I think it is a trully interesting topic for all us humans.
Me, I don´t think much about it, because it is long ago I found what I want. So I just do things, which involves to think about things and to comunicate my thinking to others.

I agree with WhatIf... in this:

WhatIf...? said:
Why should life have a meaning ?
Life has a meaning because without the thought of having a purpose or a part of a giant scheme would send some people into chaos they would say that i have no purpose in life i should just kill my self

Except, you can delete "Life has a meaning because".

--------------------------------
If you like this post, try my blog: http://southern-central.blogspot.com; and please post some comments: I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
hi.
I wanted this to be my first post on the forum because i feel it is where I can best be of assisstance.
The purpose of your life is to induce change.
The meaning is irrelevant.
It is so because the meaning is derived from the change in the world(taking that step out of bed at that exact time) can lable giving "you"(as a being) a definition.
And something defined has meaning:Mathematical Theorems, labels from the physical and spiritual world,...all the way to vague ideals like "good" and "evil". Give the person (your name here) a meaning/definition.

Mr.6Lived said:
The purpose of your life is to induce change.

That may be your purpose, but life itself has none, it just is.
You can make of it what you will.

Well it does because that is the only thing different from you and the stuff the computer your at is made of. You are able to induce change it is not.

Mr.6Lived said:
Well it does because that is the only thing different from you and the stuff the computer your at is made of. You are able to induce change it is not.

You're going to have to define 'induce change' because my computer used to crash all the time, and that had nothing to do with anything I intended to 'induce', and the 'change' was pretty abrupt.

Human ego is of course much more proficient.

Life has no meaning beyond itself. If we need a purpose or menaing to live we will never be free. Each one can give or find a personal meaning or purpose, however, they will be ALWAYS enclosed within the limits of life itself.
That is one of the major problems of human beings. We cannot live life (although some do) without looking desperately for a meaning. Being able to see and accept the fact that life has no meaning is too painful for our ego.
The idea or necessity that life have to have a meaning may have a genetic root. Life has no meaning and we should be totally comfortable with this fact.

Mmmm... I think that when you guys are saying "life has no meaning" is just a justification for you saying "I will do whatever I want, without considering consequences". I mean, there is some Ethics all around this discusion.
I think we always give ourselves a meaning, at least some objectives, like "enjoying life". It is poor, but it is an objectif and a meaning after all.

Tattva said:
Mmmm... I think that when you guys are saying "life has no meaning" is just a justification for you saying "I will do whatever I want, without considering consequences". QUOTE]

I don't see the conection betweent the statement that "life has no meaning" with living that life without considering the consequences of our acts. You can accept the fact that this is a meaningless life and act ethically and being happy. That is exactly my point, life doens't have to have a meaning for us to act and feel that way.

Tattva, giving a personal meaning to our own life doesn't indicate that life itself has any meaning. We create a subjective meaning or purpose in order to better deal with the fact that we will die some day and that our existence is absolutly meaningless.

Meaning is direction. No direction leads to anomie, which brings confusion and a dreadful sense of loss after one thinks on death. People need to feel the pull of a direction to keep motivated. The logic is that if our actions mean nothing in the end, why go on through times of tremendous hardship? Why not just end it? It's a terrifying notion because we all have deeply rooted feelings of self-preservation. If it will have "all been worth it," because our lives became worth more than the sum of their parts and so have been preserved past death. The ultimate idea would be that we are all immortal.

This is why religion is so pervasive. People fear that the religion might be true and so because of this find themselves at the will of whoever created the religion. This is also how many destructive cults are formed (which is what most religions are to begin with). Some people will even go so far as to kill themselves if they believe it will preserve themselves.

To illustrate: If you are cutting steaks and you cut your finger off by accident and it could not be reattached, every time you look at where your finger once was you will feel ashamed and regret it. What was the point of the sacrifice? It was for nothing. If you saved someone's life who was nearly cleaved in two by a giant meteor consisting of jagged metalic rocks, but all you lost was your finger and you became an instant celebrity for it, then millions of dollars poured in from people from around the country in sympathy, you will probably look upon your knub later with a sense of pride and a sense of wonder at the awesome phenomenon. You achieved something worthwhile (because you believe the value of your finger was much lower then the end result, which was the life of another saved and heaps of useful money and glory). The same holds true with life. If you can see your hardships and then finally the loss of your life as paling in comparison to the awesomeness of your purpose, then you won't be so terrified to die. It will all have been worth it.

I am unsure how much of this phenomenon is taught and how much manifests itself innately.

However, I don't think it's necessary to trick yourself into feeling comforted by such things as cults, spirituality, quack nonsense, or religion. I think a person can develop meaning for their lives and to exist onward in the lives in others, even after death. One must realize that they will leave their mark upon the constantly changing surface that is the world of the living. In this sense, one lives on past their death and it will have all been "worth it," if they did something they felt was worthwhile, such as help others. To get through, day to day, a person needs to be motivated to at least get up and live in order to be happy. Ambition, motivation, and capability then determine whether a person feels happy. The higher the ambition, the more need for motivation and capability in order to feel as though, "it will all be worth it," to get through and be happy for doing so. Some cling to material goods, some cling to "riches in heaven," still others cling to their pride, some by bolstering it through helping others, which is a commonly repeated theme of how one becomes a "better person." (Not to say that every seeming selfless action is actually selfish. I think people being happy simply because others are happy and sad simply because others are sad is an indication that our motivations are not always purely selfish. I think humans want others to be happy and the resulting happiness that one feels around others who are happy isn't the motivation for that. It is something inate and unadulterated by thought and motivation, it is a reaction.)

Last edited:
Great post BNL.

As stated by Joseph Campbell, it should not be the goal of humans to search for the meaning of life (e.g., what is the meaning of the ant, the bird, the tree, etc ?), but instead it should be the goal of humans (e.g., Homo sapiens), each and every day, to strive to experience the rapture of being alive.

Hi
I think the question is "Why do we live ?", "Why do we exist ?", "Why ...", "What are we doing ?", "What do we mean ?" ...

the meaning of life

we feel the need o discover why we are here. but who sa's that it is a self discovery thing, orthat once we find(if we havn't already) that anyone important in the world of philosphy of importance like the pope will acept and have many people acept it? it could be so it is a bound and gagged so we find it, all find nothing to do, kill ourselves, and it turns out there isn't one.

quantum4577 said:
we feel the need o discover why we are here. but who sa's that it is a self discovery thing, orthat once we find(if we havn't already) that anyone important in the world of philosphy of importance like the pope will acept and have many people acept it? it could be so it is a bound and gagged so we find it, all find nothing to do, kill ourselves, and it turns out there isn't one.
Obviously English is not your first language, but your posts make no sense.

If it's really that English is not your first language, rather than you're a severely inebriated English speaker, I would warn you that you probably almost never want to include the phrase "bound and gagged" in a sentence. And actually, severely inebriated English speakers should avoid that too.

We are biological survival mechanisms for our genes are we not? In other words, our aim is to replicate, is it not?

I think it is quite easy to confuse "meaning of life" with "meaning in life".

out of whack said:
For a lot of people but probably not all, either meaning or purpose are just a way to ask for a reason to get up in the morning. It can be merely a sign of disinterest or depression from people looking for motivation, for a pep talk that rejuvenates them and gives them new energy to carry on. When "what's the point" can be given a satisfying answer then life becomes interesting again, people are happier and become more productive. The answer doesn't even have to be correct or relevant, it only needs to be acceptable by the one who asks the question in order to produce the desired effect. That's one reason why religion works so well for so many people.

So why should life have a meaning? Not out of metaphysical necessity, just to be happy.
Excellent post. I know many of my religious friends find it difficult to understand why people who do not believe in any ultimate meaning (purpose) to life are not all suicidal.

True happiness (for me) lies in finding happiness in life even though one accepts there is no ultimate purpose (meaning) to that life.

The past is history, the future a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why we call it the present. Enjoy it.

Last edited:
I think it depends who you ask to question to. If you spoke to a biologist he/she is most likely to say to reproduce, and pass your genes on to the next generation.

Langbein said:
Some people ask about "the meaning of life".

But what does it then mean that one's life or "anything" has a "meaning" ?

But what is then the meaning of the meaning, and why is meaning such a good thing to have ? Why isn't the condition of "no meaning at all" bether than the condition of "having a meaning" ?

What is then meaning ?

Nietzche speaks about the new meaning about everything and why values have to be reorientated and rechoosed or reevaluated, but I can not see that he give any arguments why there should be a meaning at all ?

What is "meaning" and why is "meaning" such a good thing, and why is not "meaningsless" or "freedom from meaning" a more preferable condition ?

If "meaning" should be something importent or preferable is it then a good idea to live ones life without knowing what meaning is, or why it is important ?

Its a subjective question with a subjective answer. One person's meaning is another's "whatever". So the word and definition of "meaning' is only relative to one person at a time. Everyone pretends its a universal term but when you break down each person's idea of what a "meaning" is, you are going to get a wide variety of definitions and answers.

In the end the question should be posed like... 'what does your life mean to you?" And then collect individual answers that are relative to the life of each person.

One would say the meaning of their life was that they could eat the best pizza all the time.

One would say something about discovering cold fusion.

One would say the meaning of their life was how it afforded them so many experiences.

One might say the meaning of their life was to go to war and keep the flag out of the mud.

One might say the meaning of their life was that they were able to explain the meaning of their life.

And, like the differences in snowflakes, each answer would only resemble the next because... it was an answer to a question.

Alright want a simple answer?
The meaning of life is whatever you want it to be. like honestly, think about it. none the less i myself have never sought after an answer to that question. Except my meaning is to be a better person for no reason at all, and anyways I enjoy making others happy. No one's meaning can possibly be the same alltogether. kind of like religious people. You don't find the same beliefs in all of them some of them think of it slightly different or some may think very different and some do think the same. But life means life itself and life applies to everyone. So therefore you should think about yourself and what you want your meaning to be. Unless you enjoy others telling ou what your going to do.