1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why should the kinematics equations be taught in a regular high school physics course?

1. Mar 31, 2016 #1
    So, my thread title was too long, here is the full title: Why should the kinematics equations be taught in a regular high school physics course?

< Mentor Note -- thread title fixed (we can lengthen titles) >

Let me explain my situation. I will teach physics in a different country next year as the only physics teacher in the school. I have, for the past couple years, taught the kinematics equations to my regular physics classes (spending around 6-8 weeks doing so), and i will not be doing that in my new school. What i will do is define velocity and acceleration, and pretty much that is it. However, i am trying to convince my colleagues at the school i am at now to do the same. They do not seem to be as convinced as i am.

What are your best reasons why the kinematics equations should be taught in a regular physics class in high school?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2016 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because one can. It's a rather basic subject that should be taught as early as possible. It's basic physics, like addition, subtraction and multiplication are basic mathematics. Kinematics is complementary with algebra.

Why wait until high school. Physics should be taught as early as possible.

These days there is so much to learn, and the earlier one starts the better.

4. Apr 1, 2016 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

From a conceptual standpoint, it might be better to do as you suggest and reduce the emphasis on kinematics and get to concepts like force and energy more quickly. What reasons do you have for urging your colleagues to not spend a lot of time on kinematics?

5. Apr 2, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Kinematics is too fundamental a part of basic Physics, that Hlud MUST do as he says he wants. The high school Physics course would be absolutely poor without Kinematics.

6. Apr 2, 2016 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Hlud is trying to convince his colleagues to not spend much time on kinematics.

7. Apr 2, 2016 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe that was what he meant. Let me adjust what I want to say:

Kinematics is too fundamental a part of basic Physics,. The high school Physics course would be absolutely poor without Kinematics. How much time is given to Kinematics instruction is up to you and your department as long as the topic is covered fully enough for the best instruction at the high school level.

8. Apr 2, 2016 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From a pedagogical pespective, perhaps the question should be "what is the optimal approach for introducing students to classical mechanics?"

I think the usual approach is to start with time and position/distance, then introduce velocity (v = dx/dt) and acceleration (a = dv/dt = d2x/dt2), which is kinematics. What is the proper context for teaching kinematics - when to consider mass/force, and when is it not necessary?

Mass and momentum are then introduced, then force, and one can discuss statics and dynamics.

9. Apr 2, 2016 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I agree. For a high school class, is it better to spend more time laying a good conceptual foundation while sacrificing some problem-solving aspects of physics, which they'll see in AP physics or in college anyway? Does the student get much out of knowing how to calculate how much time a ball spends in the air or how far away it lands, or would the time that's usually devoted to those aspects of intro physics be better spent on developing a better understanding of, say, modern physics?

10. Apr 2, 2016 #9
    I think a worthy goal would be to ensure that every student knows how to differentiate between position, velocity and acceleration.

Lillian McDermott has several articles on the issue of conceptual understanding.

Investigation of student understanding of the concept of velocity in one dimension
    Investigation of student understanding of the concept of acceleration in one dimension

A review from 1984, http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/37/7/10.1063/1.2916318 [Broken]

I was astonished when I learned about the fact that people mix up position and velocity. In retrospect it did explain some discussions I had over the years.
    I think that would be one motivation to treat kinematics with the caveat that the teacher should be very aware of this problem.

A cool idea would be to incorporate questions like the one in this post to keep students motivated[1]. This isn't helpful for conceptual understanding though.

[1] There are some things missing, like a measure for reaction speed. Then the student can argue about the (im)possibility of the answer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Apr 3, 2016 #10
    I took high school physics in 1973 so the physics curricula may have changed but this is what I remember. We spent a lot of time understanding ballistic trajectories under constant gravity (these are not the term they used, of course). I know I (I suppose others) I say how velocity, position, acceleration related for freely falling bodies, and I (and presumably others) saw how the equations could be manipulated.
    Many other chapters in the book, stated (but did not develop or motivate the equations), and proposed homework problems that were plug and chug. I expect even today, most equations cannot be developed in a single high school course in physics for a broad audience, as completely as the ballistic equations. (How do you motivate Schrodinger's equation in high school. The best you can do in modern physics (e.g. the Bohr atom), is to present the equation). Severely reducing the ballistic equations in a course may lead one to believe, physics is not about method, but it is all plug and chug.

12. Apr 4, 2016 #11

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Abstractly, kinematics should be taught in high school because kinematics is a foundational element of science.

Concretely, you've left out some important information- what have your new students been prepared for already? What science and math classes have they already taken (or should have already taken)? Similarly, what are you preparing your students for- is this a senior-year college prep class? Is this a 9th grade 'physical science class'? Administratively, what are your state course content requirements?

13. Apr 4, 2016 #12

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Kinematics was covered in the first unit in my physics class--it was like the basis of everything! Physics shouldn't just be about definitions: “what is velocity?” or “what is acceleration?” That’s important, but, seriously, kinematics ties all of those things together into real applications. For one thing, learning basic kinematics helped me improve the skill of manipulating equations to find information needed. Additionally, how can you possibly go about teaching velocity and acceleration problems without kinematic equations? How to find initial and final velocities, height of projectiles, distance, range, speed, and acceleration of objects all have something to do with kinematics!

14. Apr 4, 2016 #13

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a mistake IMO to just cover a few definitions in kinematics and then skip to some other topic in physics. Don't be surprised if your students are confused by the lack of a complete development of a topic. You don't have to make complex kinematic calculations to illustrate the topic, but you should show some work on the basics, otherwise physics just becomes another vocabulary-building course.

15. Apr 4, 2016 #14
    I'll echo SteamKing here. I think depth is often desirable over breadth if you are aiming for understanding.

16. Apr 4, 2016 #15

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Ostensibly, there is some exposure to science from earlier grades, and possibly some chemistry, and requisite math possibly up through Algebra II.

I don't think anyone has suggested providing formulas and teaching students to 'plug and chug', but rather, it is helpful to understand the concepts/definitions of position/distance (in 1, 2 and 3 dimensions), time, and then velocity/speed, and acceleration, . . . and so on.

Of course, one could use an approach like Feynman did with The Feynman Lectures on Physics, Volume I (mainly mechanics, radiation, and heat).
    http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_toc.html

I'd be curious to know if Feynman's approach would inspire students, or turn them off.

17. Apr 5, 2016 #16
    Yes, i agree that kinematics is too fundamental to ignore. I plan on teaching kinematics without ever teaching one of the four kinematics equations that we usually teach. I can teach kinematics in three or four blocks without doing the graphing or algebra. I am trying to convince my colleagues to do the same. They will argue that the equations are really important. I am just trying to see why you all think it is important to teach the algebra and graphing.

18. Apr 5, 2016 #17
    I fail to see how this would be the case. My first year teaching, i adopted the course that the school (and pretty much the county) had taught for umpteen years. My students hated the course, because it was only plug and chug. You go from the kinematics equations, and plug and chug there. Then you move onto force, and plug and chug there. Then momentum, and energy, and so on and so forth. Sure, there was a method: the method leading you to be able to plug and chug.

19. Apr 5, 2016 #18
    Sorry, i did leave off information. This is a regular physics course that i am talking about. My AP courses will continue to do the kinematics equations. My regular kids are either in algebra or precalculus for the most part. Regardless, their algebra skills are lacking (so we take a lot of time not doing physics, but just manipulating equations). While they will all have taken chemistry and biology, they do not have sufficient lab skills either (because those are not explicitly written in the standards in my state).

This is the first year i personally sacrificed more time just doing the 'method' in favor of definitions and concepts. Personally, because of the improvements i see with my students, i am convinced on sacrificing more time doing the 'method'.

I might add the purpose for doing as i am suggesting. When you spend so much time doing the method (which no teacher believes to be just plug and chug, but it really is not more than just isolation of a single variable), as we do in my school, then you cannot branch into much other than mechanics. Traditionally, we spend 3 quarters teaching mechanics (kinematics, forces, momentum, and energy, with no rotation or waves), and that last quarter teaching electrostatics and circuits. If i were to be honest with myself, we are spending about 3 quarters teaching isolation of a variable in equations that look different, and 1/2 quarter teaching graphing, and the last 1/2 teaching the concepts associated with those equations. If they were to reduce their teaching of algebra in equations that look different, they will be able to discuss briefly (which is fine in a regular physics course) topics such as optics.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  20. Apr 5, 2016 #19

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks, that was very helpful. For what it's worth, my colleagues and I struggle with exactly the same issues you do- the students lag in math facility, so we often face the choice of spending class time teaching math instead of teaching physics. Some of us have rebelled: it goes by a lot of names, the current label is 'flipped classroom'. I now require students to learn whatever math they need- I'm talking about prerequisite-type stuff- on their own.

One idea for you to consider: work with the math teacher(s) to better synchronize the content. For example, we created a 'problem-based learning' module for precalc students that treats kinematics as an application of quadratic functions- the module is based on a double-play in baseball. Similarly, we created a module presenting sound and music as an application of trigonometry. There are tons of pre-developed modules out there:

http://bie.org/project_search/resul...category=330&&338&ps_first=330&ps_second=338/
    http://archive.pbl-online.org/

One of the (unsurprising) results we have learned is that the more time students spend engaged with the material: not homework, but groupwork outside of class, peer teaching outside of class, etc. etc., the more material they learn. Sounds simple, but very difficult to implement.

21. Apr 5, 2016 #20

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my experience with the intro courses (non-physics majors), that approach turns most students off. For whatever reason, in the context of a intro physics class, most students equate successful plug-n-chug with learning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted