Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Why sign-out twice?

1. Feb 13, 2009 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why must I sign out twice in order to sign out?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2009 #2
    I find that IE does not clear the cookies properly. Firefox seems to always log me out first try.

4. Feb 13, 2009 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I use IE and all I do is hit "Log Out" and a pop up asks me if I am sure I want to log out, and I click ok and I'm logged out. I don't have to log out twice.

5. Feb 13, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Bernhardt, thanks for having and telling some awareness about this. The log-out-twice usage occurs through IE both 6 and 7. IE6 in XP, and IE7 in Vista.

6. Feb 13, 2009 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The current version of IE from windows is IE 8 I believe. When I click to sign out I only need to do it once. If you want to continue using IE consider upgrading to IE 8.

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I use Safari. No problem with logging out. It asks for confirmation, then whether I want to return to the previous page or go to the index, then I'm out.

8. Feb 21, 2009 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Um I can't seem to log out from my personal laptop. I'm using IE7 on Win Vista home premium. Not that it matters much though.

9. Jul 15, 2009 #8

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

keywords: cannot log out of forum, can't log out, will not log out, won't log out, forum logout fails.

symbolipoint, and anyone else who is having this problem: I was experiencing a similar problem on one computer, but not the other computer, in Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11 and 3.5 (although I don't think the exact version matters). The only way I could log out of the forum was to log out, log back in, then log out twice. After a long time, I finally found a fix for the problem. Try the following.

(1) Close all physicsforums.com (PF) windows, and go to a non-PF web site. Go to your browser menus > Tools > Options > Privacy, and remove your physicsforums.com cookie. (Do this only once, as a permanent fix.) Exit and restart your browser, and see if this resolves the problem. Let us know if this step resolves your problem. If not, try the following step.

(2) Right-click the bookmark(s) or icon(s) you normally use to navigate to the PF forum, and select Properties. If the url Location field begins with "https://www.physicsforums.com/...", [Broken] change this url prefix to "http://[color=blue]www[/color].physicsforums.com/...". [Broken] See if this resolves the problem. Let us know if this step resolves your problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jul 16, 2009 #9
    I don't think I can log out at all by using the log out button. I don't know how many times I would have to click it an answer ok. The reason why my browsers shows me that I'm logged in cannot be because the browser isn't doing its job right, because I can even write posts here after attempting to log out. (This conclusion relies on an assumption, that the forum software is supposed to know who are logged in and who are not. Perhaps that's not the way it works?)

The logging out happens automatically, if I wait long enough, anyway, so I've given up using the log out button.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook