Sign Out Twice: Why Is It Necessary?

• Bug
  • Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, users of IE6 and IE7 are having trouble logging out, while users of Firefox and Safari do not have this problem. IE8 clears cookies properly, and the fix for the problem is to remove the physicsforums.com cookie.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Why must I sign out twice in order to sign out?

Physics news on Phys.org
symbolipoint said:
Why must I sign out twice in order to sign out?

I find that IE does not clear the cookies properly. Firefox seems to always log me out first try.

I use IE and all I do is hit "Log Out" and a pop up asks me if I am sure I want to log out, and I click ok and I'm logged out. I don't have to log out twice.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I find that IE does not clear the cookies properly. Firefox seems to always log me out first try.

Bernhardt, thanks for having and telling some awareness about this. The log-out-twice usage occurs through IE both 6 and 7. IE6 in XP, and IE7 in Vista.

The current version of IE from windows is IE 8 I believe. When I click to sign out I only need to do it once. If you want to continue using IE consider upgrading to IE 8.

I use Safari. No problem with logging out. It asks for confirmation, then whether I want to return to the previous page or go to the index, then I'm out.

Um I can't seem to log out from my personal laptop. I'm using IE7 on Win Vista home premium. Not that it matters much though.

keywords: cannot log out of forum, can't log out, will not log out, won't log out, forum logout fails.

symbolipoint, and anyone else who is having this problem: I was experiencing a similar problem on one computer, but not the other computer, in Mozilla Firefox 3.0.11 and 3.5 (although I don't think the exact version matters). The only way I could log out of the forum was to log out, log back in, then log out twice. After a long time, I finally found a fix for the problem. Try the following.

(1) Close all physicsforums.com (PF) windows, and go to a non-PF web site. Go to your browser menus > Tools > Options > Privacy, and remove your physicsforums.com cookie. (Do this only once, as a permanent fix.) Exit and restart your browser, and see if this resolves the problem. Let us know if this step resolves your problem. If not, try the following step.

(2) Right-click the bookmark(s) or icon(s) you normally use to navigate to the PF forum, and select Properties. If the url Location field begins with "https://www.physicsforums.com/...", change this url prefix to "http://[color=blue]www[/color].physicsforums.com/...". See if this resolves the problem. Let us know if this step resolves your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I can log out at all by using the log out button. I don't know how many times I would have to click it an answer ok. The reason why my browsers shows me that I'm logged in cannot be because the browser isn't doing its job right, because I can even write posts here after attempting to log out. (This conclusion relies on an assumption, that the forum software is supposed to know who are logged in and who are not. Perhaps that's not the way it works?)

The logging out happens automatically, if I wait long enough, anyway, so I've given up using the log out button.

Last edited:

1. Why do we need to sign out twice?

Signing out twice is necessary as a security measure to ensure that your account and personal information is fully protected. It adds an extra layer of security to prevent unauthorized access to your account.

2. Can't one sign out be enough?

While one sign out may seem sufficient, it is important to have multiple layers of security in place. Signing out twice is a simple but effective way to protect your personal information and prevent potential security breaches.

3. Is there any scientific reason behind signing out twice?

Yes, there is a scientific reason behind signing out twice. By signing out twice, you are essentially creating a two-factor authentication process, which is a widely accepted security measure in the scientific and technological community.

4. Is it necessary to sign out twice on all devices?

Yes, it is important to sign out twice on all devices, including computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. This ensures that your account is fully protected, regardless of the device you are using.

5. How does signing out twice protect my personal information?

Signing out twice adds an additional layer of security to your account by requiring you to confirm your identity twice. This makes it more difficult for hackers to access your personal information, keeping it safe from potential threats.