Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why slow wave so important?

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    I am studying the surface wave in certain guided wave structures, found a lot of papers talking about the surface wave. But I do not know what is the advantages of surface waves and its disadvantages. could somebody who knows this field well tell me? thank you very much!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I can give you an example.

In particle accelerators, sometime there are travelling wave structures that are used as accelerating structures. Usually RF fields are fed into such structures. One needs to make sure the RF field gets slowed down enough so that it is almost as fast (slow?) as the particles being accelerated. If not, the particles will lag and if they lag far enough, may end up at the wrong phase of the RF field and may even get slowed down.

So the speed of the surface wave on the structure is extremely important in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?