Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why solve quadratics?

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    I'm going back and relearning algebra, geometry, and trig so I can learn calculus. Right now I'm on quadratic equations.

It sometimes helps to know why we learn something. Can someone give me an example when you would need to actually solve a quadratic equation in practical use?

tex

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2016 #2
  4. Mar 29, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Too many throughout Physics and Engineering. Buffer and other weak acid-base situations for Chemistry.

5. Mar 29, 2016 #4
    I taught myself how to solve quadratics a few years before we learned about it at school, so I could solve ray-sphere and ray-cylinder intersections, as I wanted to write a ray tracer.

6. Mar 29, 2016 #5

Ssnow

Gold Member

Differential equations that involve the second derivative can be solved using a characteristic polynomial of second degree .... If you don't know what are differential equations now it is sufficient to you know that they are models for different Natural phenomena ...

7. Mar 29, 2016 #6
    Of all the material I learned in grade 11 math, solving quadratics and finding roots of other polynomials has probably been the most useful.

8. Mar 29, 2016 #7
    Nice to know, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted