Why Some Nations have Dual Views About Democracy?

• News
  • Thread starter Ethanol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual
In summary, Britain's desire for democracy in other countries seems contradictory considering they have a queen who is essentially just a figurehead. The queen has no real political power and is mainly supported by tradition and tourism. The parliament holds the true power in England, while Iraq was under a military dictatorship. The British public has mixed opinions on the role and importance of the queen, with some feeling she adds stability and tradition to the government while others see her as insignificant.
Ethanol
I don't know why Britain wants democracy everywhere especially in commonwealth countries, since they have got a queen of their own. Is that democracy? The invaded Iraq to free it from a dictator who had his own parliment. The queen has got a parliment shouldn't she be thrown off.
It says in a newspaper that the queen once arrived in a five star hotel in Durbanwith one meagre piece of baggage but two tons of luggage arrived later and the staff had already been forwarded a six page document, detailing everything from right type of notepaper for her desk to how her bed should be made- sheets and blankets,not duvets, turned down to exactly 9 inchesbelow the eiderdown. Mauve blooms and carnations were royally banished from bouquets:TVs in the bedroom,bloody meat, and spicy food were all ruled out, and she would only drink Malvern mineral water-her own supply.

Aren't those ways of soveriegn Saddam himself who had ( as far as I know), 11 castle to his name.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethanol said:
I don't know why Britain wants democracy everywhere especially in commonwealth countries, since they have got a queen of their own. Is that democracy?
The queen is basically no more than a figurehead. She has no more political power than any other person who is one of the richest in the world.

The Queen can only make suggestions and discuss things with the politicians, but has no power herself. They once calculated what would cost more money to the people, a republic or a monarchy: they don't differ that much :)

I DO think the royal family should be paying taxes though! :grumpy:

England is a parliamentary democracy. The queen is queen in name only. Iraq, on the other hand, was a military dictatorship. The parliament was a parliament in name only.

I don't believe the Queen even has the right to vote. Is that right, Brits?

Why is the figurehead placed then. I know the real powers lie with the parliment but as far as i know the queen is paid or something. And if she has any other means of earning a living what are those? What's with the showing off by the way? And i think as a british national the queen may have right to vote the candidate she favours.

The British just love their tradition, maybe we need a new batch of rebellious bands like the Sex Pistols to express hatred for the Queen and insight a revolution against the royal family.

Ethanol said:
Why is the figurehead placed then. I know the real powers lie with the parliment but as far as i know the queen is paid or something. And if she has any other means of earning a living what are those? What's with the showing off by the way? And i think as a british national the queen may have right to vote the candidate she favours.

The amount of money paid to the royal famiy falls far short ofthe tourist dollars spend while taking pictures of the palaces, or buying the tabloids with william's latest flind.
That and it's tradition.

We need a new batch of rebellious bands, regardless.

I think the Queen acts as a binding factor of the parliament, she has well rooted tradition and mediates in conflicts. She has good knowledge of history and the nation itself. She's an advisor.

I think she has as much importance to the government as the hood ornament on my car. (Come to think of it...)

1. Why do some nations have dual views about democracy?

There are several factors that can contribute to this phenomenon. One possible reason is cultural differences. Some societies may place a higher value on individualism and personal freedoms, while others prioritize collective well-being and stability. Additionally, historical experiences and current political climate can also shape a nation's perception of democracy.

2. What are the benefits of having dual views about democracy?

Having diverse perspectives on democracy can lead to a more robust and inclusive decision-making process. It allows for different opinions and ideas to be considered, leading to potentially better solutions and policies. It also promotes a healthy exchange of ideas and can prevent a mono-centric approach to governance.

3. What are the challenges of having dual views about democracy?

One challenge is that it can lead to political polarization and division within a nation. This can make it difficult to reach a consensus and make progress on important issues. It can also create social tension and undermine the unity of a country. Additionally, it may be challenging to find a balance between respecting different views while also upholding democratic principles.

4. Can dual views about democracy lead to instability?

In extreme cases, yes, it can contribute to political instability. When there is a deep divide between different groups with opposing views, it can lead to protests, civil unrest, and even violence. However, in most cases, dual views can coexist peacefully and even contribute to a healthy democracy as long as there is a strong foundation of democratic values and institutions in place.

5. How can a nation address and reconcile dual views about democracy?

One approach is promoting open and respectful dialogue between different groups with opposing views. This can help bridge the divide and foster understanding and compromise. Additionally, investing in education and promoting media literacy can help combat misinformation and promote a more informed citizenry. It is also essential for leaders to prioritize the common good and work towards finding common ground rather than amplifying divisions for their own gain.

Back