Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why strings?

1. Nov 20, 2003 #1

I don't know to much about the string theory or loop theory really. I have read a few books on it, but I want to know: Why do scientists think any extra dimensions take the form of strings? Is it that the formula say that is what the strings are, or is it just a way to explain why we can't see the extra dimensions.
    Thanks for any responses...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

Sorry, posted in the wrong area, but if some one could still tell me that would be great..
  4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    Strings aren't dimensions. Strings move around within dimensions, just like anything else does.

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you assume that the elementary constituents of matter are strings, then more than three space dimensions must exist in order for the quantum theory of strings to be self-consistent. Then people usually postulate that the extra dimensions are curled up small to explain why we can't see them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?