Why SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1)?

• B
  • Thread starter cube137
  • Start date
Hence, from the perspective of phase transitions, SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) would be the result of a broken higher symmetry, due to the Universe entering an "ice-like" state after 13.82 billion years.
After that amount of time? It would be early in the Universe's history. Extrapolation of the Standard Model's coupling constants with increasing interaction energy reveals that they meet at around 2*1016 GeV.

But the overall principle is correct, I think, and a variety of higher-symmetry Grand Unified Theories have been proposed.

arivero
Gold Member
Others think that U(1) is because of the Complex numbers, SU(2) is due to the quaternions, and SU(3) is due to the octonians. Although, I don't think this is completely worked out yet. And more effort needs to be done to resolve it.
Is this the kind of iteration you were thinking about in the thread about Furey's models?

Is this the kind of iteration you were thinking about in the thread about Furey's models?
That's classified:wink:. Actually, it's a little too involved to state here. I don't know how to summarize without sounding speculative as defined in these forums. If you're interested PM me.