Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why surface area of sphere differ when find in two ways using the same approximation?

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    i have found the area of sphere in two ways using the same approximation.but i get two different answers ;one the correct value 4∏R^2?how does this happen?
    i'm attaching the solution below?please refer to the attachments and give a solution?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Why surface area of sphere differ when find in two ways using the same approximat

Your mistake is where "transform the frustrum to a cylinder". You don't actually do a "tranformation" you just assume frustrum is equal to the cylinder and that is not true.

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  5. Mar 24, 2012 #4
    Re: Why surface area of sphere differ when find in two ways using the same approximat

You write dA = 2Pirh and h = rsin(theta)dtheta, but then you write dA = 2Pir^2 sin^2(theta) dtheta. Where does the extra sin(theta) come from?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook