Why 't = 0' here in this equation in the case below?

• Thread starter Indranil
  • Start date
In summary: I used that the acceleration is positive in the negative direction of the y-axis.##y_f-y_i=u_y(t_f-t_i)-\frac{1}{2}g(t_f-t_i)^2##. If you draw the diagram you will see that:##0 - h=-\frac{1}{2}g(T)^2## Note that ##t_f-t_i=T## is the duration of the process.##T=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}##In summary, when a body is projected horizontally with an initial velocity that has only a horizontal component, the
Indranil

Homework Statement

As we know, If a body is projected horizontally from a height h with velocity u and time taken by the body to reach the ground is T, then h = 0 + (1/2)gT2 (for vertical motion)
T = √2h/g
Why here 'ut' I mean t = 0, 'u (initial velocity should be zero but why "t = 0"? Could you explain, please

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

h = ut + (1/2)gT^2 where u = initial velocity, g = acceleration, t = initial time, T = finial time

Physics news on Phys.org
Indranil said:
Why here 'ut' I mean t = 0, 'u (initial velocity should be zero but why "t = 0"?
What makes you think t = 0?

Indranil said:

Homework Statement

As we know, If a body is projected horizontally from a height h with velocity u and time taken by the body to reach the ground is T, then h = 0 + (1/2)gT2 (for vertical motion)
T = √2h/g
Why here 'ut' I mean t = 0, 'u (initial velocity should be zero but why "t = 0"? Could you explain, please

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

h = ut + (1/2)gT^2 where u = initial velocity, g = acceleration, t = initial time, T = finial time

The equation you wrote is not correct. The initial and final time part of the equation make no sense. In two experiments where the initial time is set differently with the same time duration of the experiment we get different results using your formula. You need to draw a coordinate system and look up equations of motion to see what is going on. You have not said it clearly but the initial velocity should have only the horizontal component (x-axis) and no vertical component (y-axis). If you look up the equation of motion you will see why the first part equals 0. Your first thought was that if ##vt=0## then ##t=0## since ##u## is non-zero from your point of view. That is not so as you will see by drawing the coordinate system and learning a little bit more about the projectile motion.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/3-4-projectile-motion/

Indranil said:
As diredragon points out, this is incorrect. It should be: ##h = u t + (1/2) g t^2##, where t is the final time. Since the initial velocity is horizontal, u = 0, thus ##h = (1/2) g t^2##.

Likes CWatters and diredragon
Doc Al said:
As diredragon points out, this is incorrect. It should be: ##h = u t + (1/2) g t^2##, where t is the final time. Since the initial velocity is horizontal, u = 0, thus ##h = (1/2) g t^2##.

In the original post ##u## was used as just the initial velocity, so i suggest using ##u_y## to point out the direction so as to not confuse the OP who doesn't seem to take into account the vector decomposition of the problem.

So, ##u_x=u## and ##u_y=0##

Likes Doc Al
Good points!

Doc Al said:
Good points!
Now let me clear in the equation below which one is initial and which one is the final time? 't or T'
h = ut + (1/2)gT^2

diredragon said:
In the original post ##u## was used as just the initial velocity, so i suggest using ##u_y## to point out the direction so as to not confuse the OP who doesn't seem to take into account the vector decomposition of the problem.

So, ##u_x=u## and ##u_y=0##
Could you explain please why 'Uy' = 0 here?

Indranil said:
Could you explain please why 'Uy' = 0 here?
because
Indranil said:
body is projected horizontally

haruspex said:
because
Do you mean to say 'as the body projected horizontally, so, the vertical velocity is zero I mean Uy = 0'?

Indranil said:
Do you mean to say 'as the body projected horizontally, so, the vertical velocity is zero I mean Uy = 0'?
Yes, the initial vertical component of velocity is zero.

Indranil said:
Now let me clear in the equation below which one is initial and which one is the final time? 't or T'
h = ut + (1/2)gT^2

The object is moving with the initial velocity ##u## which has only a horizontal projection, in a ##x-y## plane under the influence of gravitational attraction on the y-axis.

The equation of motion which tells us the height of the object is: ##y=u_yt - \frac{1}{2}gt^2##. I used that the acceleration is positive in the negative direction of the y-axis.

##y_f-y_i=u_y(t_f-t_i)-\frac{1}{2}g(t_f-t_i)^2##. If you draw the diagram you will see that:
##0 - h=-\frac{1}{2}g(T)^2## Note that ##t_f-t_i=T## is the duration of the process.
##T=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}##

Indranil said:
h = ut + (1/2)gT^2
As has been explained several times, this equation is incorrect. The correct equation (see above post) only has the final time.

diredragon said:
The object is moving with the initial velocity ##u## which has only a horizontal projection, in a ##x-y## plane under the influence of gravitational attraction on the y-axis.

The equation of motion which tells us the height of the object is: ##y=u_yt - \frac{1}{2}gt^2##. I used that the acceleration is positive in the negative direction of the y-axis.

##y_f-y_i=u_y(t_f-t_i)-\frac{1}{2}g(t_f-t_i)^2##. If you draw the diagram you will see that:
##0 - h=-\frac{1}{2}g(T)^2## Note that ##t_f-t_i=T## is the duration of the process.
##T=\sqrt{\frac{2h}{g}}##
From the equation given above, still i have two question
1. Why 'yf = 0'?
and
2. why Uy (tf - ti ) = 0? Could you explain please?

Indranil said:
From the equation given above, still i have two question
1. Why 'yf = 0'?
Measured from the ground, the final position is at y = 0.

Indranil said:
and
2. why Uy (tf - ti ) = 0?
Because Uy = 0. (Initial velocity was horizontal.)

Indranil said:
h = ut + (1/2)gT^2

Neither.

The equation should be written like this...

h = ut + (1/2)gt2

Both t are the same t. The equation gives you the height at _any_ time = t.

So to find the height after say 3 seconds, replace _both_ t with 3...

h = 3u + (1/2)g32

Assume u=0 and g = -10m/s/s

h = -(1/2)(10)32
= -45m

On the other hand if you are given h = -45m and asked to find t then you have to solve a quadratic for which there are TWO solutions. Only one solution will normally make sense (for example the other might be negative).

To solve a quadratic rearrange the equation to the general form ...

ax2 + bt + c = 0
or
(1/2)gt2 + ut -h = 0

Then note that

a = (1/2)g = -5 m/s/s
b = u
c = -h = 45m

Then use the general solution for a quadratic.

t = {-b +/- (Sqrt(b2 - 4ac)}/2a

Lets say we want to know how long it takes to fall 45m. The height at time t will be -45m. Putting values into the equation we get..

t = +/- Sqrt(4*5*45) / -10
= +/- 30/-10
= +/- 3

The correct solution is +3 seconds.

1. Why is 't = 0' used in this equation?

The value of 't = 0' is used to represent the starting point or initial condition in the equation. It serves as a reference point for measuring the changes in the variables.

2. What does 't = 0' signify in this equation?

In this equation, 't = 0' signifies the point at which the experiment or process begins. It is the point at which the initial conditions are set and from which the changes in the variables are measured.

3. Can 't = 0' be replaced with any other value in this equation?

No, 't = 0' cannot be replaced with any other value in this equation. It is a specific value that represents the starting point and changing it would alter the interpretation of the equation.

4. How does 't = 0' affect the overall result of the equation?

't = 0' does not affect the overall result of the equation. It simply serves as a reference point for measuring the changes in the variables. The result of the equation will depend on the values of the other variables and the mathematical operations involved.

5. Is 't = 0' always used in equations?

No, 't = 0' is not always used in equations. It is only used when there is a need to represent a starting point or initial condition in the equation. In some cases, the initial condition may be represented by other values or variables in the equation.