Why that guy is not on the voting list?

In summary: I don't know, I just thought it was interesting.Good ! Now I can start that thread titled "Poli Sci is all bu!$#it" that I've been waiting so long for. :devil:
Moses
Yeah, say i am nosy, but i do want to know:
What is the hidden principle [at least from me] that the Vote-list "putter" follow in order to chose the names of the guys/girls there...

was it on or more than one who chose the names...
I said that before somewhere on General Discussion ,i guess my vote is really important, and i do not want to vote in a non-clean voting process :briggin:

BTW: Vote Kerry, hahaha

Physics news on Phys.org
Moses said:
Yeah, say i am nosy, but i do want to know:
What is the hidden principle [at least from me] that the Vote-list "putter" follow in order to chose the names of the guys/girls there...

was it on or more than one who chose the names...

I believe the Mentors and Admins "got together" and decided the nominees.

Gokul43201 said:
I believe the Mentors and Admins "got together" and decided the nominees.
That is correct. For each category we were asked to submit nominees based on knowledge, participation, and a willingness to help others. This was based on personal observations as well as feedback received from forum members over the past year.

The final decision rests with the forum members.

Evo said:
That is correct. For each category we were asked to submit nominees based on knowledge, participation, and a willingness to help others. This was based on personal observations as well as feedback received from forum members over the past year.

The final decision rests with the forum members.

Aww, I feel loved now.

Evo said:
That is correct. For each category we were asked to submit nominees based on knowledge, participation, and a willingness to help others.

Ah, I wish these criteria were thrown out there for us members too. I wanted mention before, that we don't really know what we're voting for...and members might be basing their choices on different criteria.

The word "Guru" is suggestive of one with knowledge, so if I am to vote for an XYZ Guru, I'm voting for who I think has the most knowledge in XYZ, irrespective of participation or willingness to help. Guess that's not what I'm "supposed" to vote on, is it ?

gu·ru ** *P***Pronunciation Key**(gr, g-r)
n. pl. gu·rus
1.Hinduism & Tibetan Buddhism. A personal spiritual teacher.

2 a.A teacher and guide in spiritual and philosophical matters.
b. A trusted counselor and adviser; a mentor.

3. a. A recognized leader in a field: the guru of high finance.
b. An acknowledged and influential advocate, as of a movement or idea: “In a culture that worships slimness, he was the Guru of Lean” (Erica Abeel).

I'm surprised there's no politics guru award

check said:
I'm surprised there's no politics guru award

That might have made for an interesting campaign, a bunch of people really into politics. Though, do we really have political experts here? I may have missed someone, but I thought mostly it was a lot of non-experts with lots of opinions (including myself) discussing politics. Not that folks here are ignorant about politics, but just that I'm not sure there is anyone with, for example, a political science degree. Is there someone I don't know about who could be a poli sci expert?

Moonbear said:

Yeah, I know what a guru really means (helps that I have not forgotten all the Sanskrit I learned so many years ago)...but its popular usage is often synonymous to "aficionado", is it not ?

Perhaps I'm mistaken...so how do you use the word 'guru' ?

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That might have made for an interesting campaign, a bunch of people really into politics. Though, do we really have political experts here? I may have missed someone, but I thought mostly it was a lot of non-experts with lots of opinions (including myself) discussing politics. Not that folks here are ignorant about politics, but just that I'm not sure there is anyone with, for example, a political science degree. Is there someone I don't know about who could be a poli sci expert?
I will be in a few years :rolleyes:

Smurf said:
I will be in a few years :rolleyes:

Good ! Now I can start that thread titled "Poli Sci is all bu!$#it" that I've been waiting so long for. :devil:

Gokul43201 said:
Yeah, I know what a guru really means (helps that I have not forgotten all the Sanskrit I learned so many years ago)...but its popular usage is often synonymous to "aficionado", is it not ?

Perhaps I'm mistaken...so how do you use the word 'guru' ?

I thought you were using it according to definition 3a. I posted the definition because it sounds like the voting is according to a combination of 2b and 3 a, b.

I guess that's how I think about it, not just an expert, but an expert who is also a teacher.

I didn't post that because I really knew a priori what the precise definition was, but because I went to look it up after you commented on it and found there were more definitions than I expected.

aaaha! and now my skull start knowing what is going around!
So i can go to sleep, sure about what i am goind to vote based on...

But i am still thinking about those innocenet people who vote and did not know on what base they vote "from"... :cry:

If you vote just based on who you think is the most knowledgeable, that is fine.

haha
Evo, some people here had a skull with "very knowledge" in science, but still lack the knowledge in dealing with modest people like me, by rudely offended peopl who disagree with, I am generalizing at all, PF has greart & cool members, but some foxes are moving around, and i can't deny that, personally...

If i vote for them as "the best helpers" it will not work.

P.S: Gokul43201, as a whisper: I might have a double major in physics and politics, after dropping electrical engineering. I think we need more skulls in politics than in science now adays. at least to make scientists survive and not doing mass distruction weapons too much, these weapons boring and they will take "steal" a lot of time. [:biggrin:]

Moonbear said:
... do we really have political experts here? I may have missed someone, but I thought mostly it was a lot of non-experts with lots of opinions (including myself) discussing politics. ... Is there someone I don't know about who could be a poli sci expert?

One man's politicial expert is another's propagandist. What about an award based just on contributions to political discussion? I would have voted for Burnsys whose experience, perceptiveness and intelligence made for some of the most cogent contributions to the politics section. Marks deducted for grammar & spelling though :grumpy:

1. Why is my name missing from the voting list?

There could be several reasons for your name being missing from the voting list. It could be a clerical error, you may not have registered to vote, or you may have been removed from the list due to inactivity. It is important to contact your local election office to determine the exact reason.

2. Can I still vote if my name is not on the voting list?

If your name is not on the voting list, you may still be able to vote through a provisional ballot. This ballot allows you to vote and your eligibility will be verified later. It is important to check with your local election office for their specific rules and procedures regarding provisional ballots.

3. How often is the voting list updated?

The voting list is typically updated at least once a year. However, it can also be updated throughout the year as new voters register or others are removed due to inactivity or changes in residency. It is important to regularly check your voter registration status to ensure that your information is up to date.

4. Can I check my voting status online?

Yes, many states have online voter registration and verification systems. You can use these systems to check your voting status and make any necessary updates. It is important to note that each state may have different procedures for updating voter information, so be sure to follow the guidelines for your specific state.

5. What should I do if I believe my name was intentionally left off the voting list?

If you believe that your name was intentionally left off the voting list, you should contact your local election office and file a complaint. They will investigate the situation and take appropriate action if necessary. It is important to provide any evidence or documentation to support your claim.