Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why that guy is not on the voting list?

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    Yeah, say i am nosy, but i do wanna know:
    What is the hidden principle [at least from me] that the Vote-list "putter" follow in order to chose the names of the guys/girls there...

was it on or more than one who chose the names....
    I said that before somewhere on General Discussion ,i guess my vote is really important, and i do not want to vote in a non-clean voting process :briggin:

BTW: Vote Kerry, hahaha

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe the Mentors and Admins "got together" and decided the nominees.

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That is correct. For each category we were asked to submit nominees based on knowledge, participation, and a willingness to help others. This was based on personal observations as well as feedback received from forum members over the past year.

The final decision rests with the forum members.

5. Nov 30, 2004 #4

Aww, I feel loved now.

6. Nov 30, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I wish these criteria were thrown out there for us members too. I wanted mention before, that we don't really know what we're voting for...and members might be basing their choices on different criteria.

The word "Guru" is suggestive of one with knowledge, so if I am to vote for an XYZ Guru, I'm voting for who I think has the most knowledge in XYZ, irrespective of participation or willingness to help. Guess that's not what I'm "supposed" to vote on, is it ?

7. Nov 30, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 30, 2004 #7
    I'm surprised there's no politics guru award

9. Nov 30, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That might have made for an interesting campaign, a bunch of people really into politics. Though, do we really have political experts here? I may have missed someone, but I thought mostly it was a lot of non-experts with lots of opinions (including myself) discussing politics. Not that folks here are ignorant about politics, but just that I'm not sure there is anyone with, for example, a political science degree. Is there someone I don't know about who could be a poli sci expert?

10. Nov 30, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I know what a guru really means (helps that I have not forgotten all the Sanskrit I learned so many years ago)...but its popular usage is often synonymous to "aficionado", is it not ?

Perhaps I'm mistaken...so how do you use the word 'guru' ?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  11. Nov 30, 2004 #10
    I will be in a few years :rolleyes:

12. Nov 30, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good ! Now I can start that thread titled "Poli Sci is all bu!!$#it" that I've been waiting so long for. :devil:

13. Nov 30, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought you were using it according to definition 3a. I posted the definition because it sounds like the voting is according to a combination of 2b and 3 a, b.

I guess that's how I think about it, not just an expert, but an expert who is also a teacher.

I didn't post that because I really knew a priori what the precise definition was, but because I went to look it up after you commented on it and found there were more definitions than I expected.

14. Nov 30, 2004 #13
    aaaha! and now my skull start knowing what is going around!
    So i can go to sleep, sure about what i am goind to vote based on...

But i am still thinking about those innocenet people who vote and did not know on what base they vote "from"... :cry:

15. Nov 30, 2004 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If you vote just based on who you think is the most knowledgeable, that is fine.

16. Dec 2, 2004 #15
    haha
    Evo, some people here had a skull with "very knowledge" in science, but still lack the knowledge in dealing with modest people like me, by rudely offended peopl who disagree with, I am generalizing at all, PF has greart & cool members, but some foxes are moving around, and i cant deny that, personally.....

If i vote for them as "the best helpers" it will not work.

P.S: Gokul43201, as a whisper: I might have a double major in physics and politics, after dropping electrical engineering. I think we need more skulls in politics than in science now adays. at least to make scientists survive and not doing mass distruction weapons too much, these weapons boring and they will take "steal" a lot of time. [:biggrin:]

17. Dec 2, 2004 #16
    One man's politicial expert is another's propagandist. What about an award based just on contributions to political discussion? I would have voted for Burnsys whose experience, perceptiveness and intelligence made for some of the most cogent contributions to the politics section. Marks deducted for grammar & spelling though :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?