Why the bias against materialism?

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias
In summary, the debate between materialism and idealism has been ongoing for centuries, with the focus being on the uniqueness of life and mind. Some anti-materialists may have a tendency to be preachers, leading to aggressive attacks on those who disagree with their beliefs. However, it is natural for humans to have differing opinions. Science, while a valuable tool, has limitations and does not encompass all aspects of life and the universe. There is still much to be discovered and understood about consciousness and thought, which science has not yet been able to fully explain.
Heres more...

http://magazines.enews.com/easterbrook.mhtml?pid=717

90% OF THE UNIVERSE ISN'T REALLY MISSING, JUST MISPLACED: Today is the first day of a University of Chicago conference at which cosmologists are mapping out plans to attempt to locate "dark matter" and "dark energy." I don't wish to alarm you, but at least 90 percent of the universe is missing. Astronomers hope to find it.

When cosmologists measure the gravitational attraction on heavenly bodies, at least two-thirds of the matter in the cosmos appears to be missing; that is, stars move as if acted upon by much more gravity than can be accounted for by observed amounts of normal matter. For years this has led to speculation that there is "dark matter" or "missing mass" throughout the firmament--perhaps as strange forms of subatomic particles not present in this solar system, perhaps as huge numbers of black holes, perhaps as huge numbers of almost-stars hard to see because they don't shine. There are other theories. Searching for the missing mass has for several decades been an obsession of astrophysics.

Then, a few years ago, astronomers made the unexpected discovery that not only are the galaxies rushing away from each other, they are speeding up. It had been assumed that the Big Bang provided the impetus for the movement of the galaxies, and across the eons, momentum from the Big Bang would wear off, causing the galaxies to slow down. Instead they're speeding up: the evidence looks solid. Cosmic acceleration cannot be happening unless something is pushing on the galaxies, that is, adding energy to them. Hence, dark energy.

The new betting line among scientists is that the luminous, observable forms of energy in the universe--shining stars, natural radio waves and X-rays and so on--actually constitutes only a small share of total energy. Something much more potent, dark energy, carries most of the power in creation; dark energy has so much power that it's speeding up unfathomable numbers of galaxies across unfathomable distances. The existence of dark energy would answer the riddle of why gravity does not cause everything in creation to crush together: Dark energy is repelling the components of the universe at the same time that gravity attracts them. And it's looking like dark energy is stronger than gravity--stronger, perhaps, by orders of magnitude.

Here's the rub. While there are theories about what dark matter might be, no one has the slightest clue what dark energy is. No instrument can detect it. No one knows where it comes from or how it works. Dark energy appears strong enough to push the entire universe, and yet science can't locate it.

Bear this in mind when you're tempted to think Homo sapiens already understands the physical world, or even has the slightest idea what's going on. Combining missing dark matter and missing dark energy, science can't so much as locate 90 percent of the universe! Bear this in mind, as well, when you're tempted to think we "know" there is no nonmaterial world. An energy strong enough to push the entire universe is pulsing through your body right now; you can't feel it, and science has no idea how it works or where it originates. How many other nonmaterial forces might there be?

As for the University of Chicago conference, you won't want to miss the session: "APEX-SZ, a Millimeter-wavelength galaxy cluster survey using the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich Effect."

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Mentat
Here's why: every time you mention a process that occurs in the brain, as a result of the processing functions of the brain, and call it (this new process, which is an effect of the brain's electrochemical processes) "consciousness", you introduce the idea of a "mind's eye".

OK, I think I see the problem we're having. The problem we seem to be having is with the phrase "processes of the brain". You define them as all being on the same level and I do not. The processes that you are referring to are the processes dealing with neurons etc etc. I'm claiming that the processes of neurons are themselves made up of less complex physical processes. So if I agree that consciousness is exactly the same thing as the process of neurons working in the brain, then I can claim that consciousness is caused by those simpler processes. Perhaps you wouldn't even call these simpler processes "processes of the brain" but it would be a small matter to clear up if you don't.

Going back to the automobile analogy, you claim that an "automobile" is not the result of the "process of the engine on wheels". It "IS" the "process of the engine on wheels". I am not claiming that the "process of the engine on wheels" produces this non-physical thing called the automobile. I am agreeing that they are one and the same thing. But I then am going further to say that the "process of the engine on wheels" or the "automobile" is the result of less complex physical processes (fuel consumption, shock absorption etc.)

Do you follow this? I'm going in a different direction from you. I'm not projecting anything new as a result of processes. I am simpler stepping back in the heiarchy of processes and assigning labels. This is all so semantic it's almost funny.

Oh. I agree that we should just assume that consciousness is nothing but a physical process, but I don't think that we have quite the same vision. In my (currently Materialistic) concept, there are no thoughts at all, merely the question/answer "game" of the different neurons and sets thereof in the brain.
OK and I'm agreeing with this and now asking the question "Isn't the process of thought, the question/answer game, made up of even simpler physical processes? I realize this is dependent on how you define process but, again, this is merely semantics and surely we can overcome that.
So, basically, my concept of "consciousness as nothing but a physical process" is: Look at the brain, see the neurons and synapses, there is nothing else.
I ask again for emphasis, what is the science behind the workings of neurons and synapses? There should be some more fundamental process within this process.

In many senses, it is. However, I can attempt to simplify it for you: Materialist belief on philosophies of the mind = there are electrochemical activities involving synapses and neurons, and, in order for this to become conscious it also requires...nothing. It doesn't require anything, because those synaptic activities are consciousness.
It requires nothing but the processes that make up the synaptic process.

What?? I never said an Idealist believe there is nothing physical. I said a Solipsist believes there is nothing physical. An Idealist believes that there is something non-physical (the amount of things that are non-physical is greater than or equal to 1).

How is this distinction relevant? The point I'm trying to make is that the choices for an idealists are not just 1) the physical and non-physical exist together or 2)I am the only mind.

Actually, it is. If there are no physical realities, and yet I'm still conscious of something, then my mind must exist, while nothing else does.

So you're saying that if nothing physical exists, then 2 or more non-physical minds cannot exists? Please connect the dots for me.

Originally posted by Fliption
OK, I think I see the problem we're having. The problem we seem to be having is with the phrase "processes of the brain". You define them as all being on the same level and I do not. The processes that you are referring to are the processes dealing with neurons etc etc. I'm claiming that the processes of neurons are themselves made up of less complex physical processes. So if I agree that consciousness is exactly the same thing as the process of neurons working in the brain, then I can claim that consciousness is caused by those simpler processes. Perhaps you wouldn't even call these simpler processes "processes of the brain" but it would be a small matter to clear up if you don't.

Whoah, whoah, wait a minute. What simpler processes? You mean the typical cell division, or the currents of electricity in the axons, or the releasing of chemicals across the synaptic space? What exactly are you talking about?

Going back to the automobile analogy, you claim that an "automobile" is not the result of the "process of the engine on wheels". It "IS" the "process of the engine on wheels". I am not claiming that the "process of the engine on wheels" produces this non-physical thing called the automobile. I am agreeing that they are one and the same thing. But I then am going further to say that the "process of the engine on wheels" or the "automobile" is the result of less complex physical processes (fuel consumption, shock absorption etc.)

Do you follow this? I'm going in a different direction from you. I'm not projecting anything new as a result of processes. I am simpler stepping back in the heiarchy of processes and assigning labels. This is all so semantic it's almost funny.

What about it though? You can use reductionism on a car if you want, that has no bearing whatsoever on brain functions. The functions of the brain are those of any other cell, except that which occurs in the axons and dendrits or across the synaptic space. How are the "simpler processes" relevant at all?

OK and I'm agreeing with this and now asking the question "Isn't the process of thought, the question/answer game, made up of even simpler physical processes? I realize this is dependent on how you define process but, again, this is merely semantics and surely we can overcome that.

I ask again for emphasis, what is the science behind the workings of neurons and synapses? There should be some more fundamental process within this process.

I've already listed the "more fundamental" processes, but they are not, on their own, even brain functions, since brain functions require all of them to work together (electricity has to be conducted along axons, which have to stimulate packets of sodium ions to travel across the small synaptic space...these processes on their own are irrelevant, but the sum product is a very adaptable being).

It requires nothing but the processes that make up the synaptic process.

What processes?!?

I re-iterate that which you must already know, but have stored somewhere in the far reaches of your memory (no offense), an atom is the simplest form of matter which still retains the properties of the element. Therefore, if you try to get any simpler than the sodium ions propogated across the synaptic space, you have left the realm of philosophies of the mind.

How is this distinction relevant? The point I'm trying to make is that the choices for an idealists are not just 1) the physical and non-physical exist together or 2)I am the only mind.

Their only choices are 1) the physical and the non-physical exist together; or 2) there is only the non-physical.

So you're saying that if nothing physical exists, then 2 or more non-physical minds cannot exists? Please connect the dots for me.

Spacetime is physical, Fliption. If I am a Solipsist, then I believe that there is nothing physical, and that includes space...which means, of course, that there can be no "other people" since those would be separated from me by space. And you can't get around that by saying that "they could be separated by 'something else'" or some other such rebuttal, since Relativity dictates that there is really no such thing as "space or time" independent of reference points; thus, if there are two beings, there are two reference points, and there is thus space.

Originally posted by Mentat
Whoah, whoah, wait a minute. What simpler processes? You mean the typical cell division, or the currents of electricity in the axons, or the releasing of chemicals across the synaptic space? What exactly are you talking about?

I'm saying that the brain is no different from an automobile in that the process that you call consciousness is made up of less complex processes. It is not so relevant to my point exactly what these processes are, only that they exists. Those that you mentioned may qualify.

If I can get you to agree to this very simple idea then I will explain why it is relevant. I don't want to do that now because I feel I need to move slowly due to the amount of resistance I'm getting on every single step.

Their only choices are 1) the physical and the non-physical exist together; or 2) there is only the non-physical.
Agreed. But neither of these necessarily mean solipsism.

Spacetime is physical, Fliption. If I am a Solipsist, then I believe that there is nothing physical, and that includes space...which means, of course, that there can be no "other people" since those would be separated from me by space. And you can't get around that by saying that "they could be separated by 'something else'" or some other such rebuttal, since Relativity dictates that there is really no such thing as "space or time" independent of reference points; thus, if there are two beings, there are two reference points, and there is thus space.

I can't believe you're claiming that an idealist can't believe in the existence of 2 non-physical minds in a non-physical world. The 2 minds don't need to be separated by space to be separate minds. Space is meaningless to immaterial entities. They just need to have 2 different senses of being. We're not talking about "people", as you put it, with bodies and heads. We're talking about "minds" as an idealist might define it.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Fliption
I'm saying that the brain is no different from an automobile in that the process that you call consciousness is made up of less complex processes. It is not so relevant to my point exactly what these processes are, only that they exists. Those that you mentioned may qualify.

Yes, of course. The process of consciousness is a process that involves many different parts of the brain, each of which is composed of neurons and synapses.

If I can get you to agree to this very simple idea then I will explain why it is relevant. I don't want to do that now because I feel I need to move slowly due to the amount of resistance I'm getting on every single step.

Sorry ...this seems to be deeply ingrained in me.

Agreed. But neither of these necessarily mean solipsism.

Correct.

I can't believe you're claiming that an idealist can't believe in the existence of 2 non-physical minds in a non-physical world. The 2 minds don't need to be separated by space to be separate minds. Space is meaningless to immaterial entities. They just need to have 2 different senses of being. We're not talking about "people", as you put it, with bodies and heads. We're talking about "minds" as an idealist might define it.

Alright, let me clarify: The statement "All things exist in my mind" (the statement that the Solipsist makes) requires the statement "All things are non-physical", however the inverse is not true.