Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the formula for derivatives

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    The formula for finding a derivative for x^n is nx^(n-1) and the anti derivative is 1/(n+1) x^(n+1)
    Why is this the formula?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    If you take the derivative of a function using the (derivative) power rule, then you can always reverse it using the antiderivative power rule, its mainly just a reverse of it.

Like if you were to take the derivative of [tex]x^2[/tex], then using the power rule it would be [tex]2x^1[/tex] or just 2x. If you were to find the antiderivative of that using [tex]\frac{x^n+1}{n+1}[/tex] (agh supposed to be x^(n+1) not (x^n)+1) then it would be [tex]x^2[/tex] again.

If you're asking how it works, the derivative power rule derives itself from the limit of [tex]\frac{f(x+h) - f(h)}{h}[/tex] as h approaches 0. The antiderivative is a little more complicated and doesn't work in all instances (like when n=-1) so some other methods like natural logarithms need to be used.
  4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    [tex]\frac{d}{dx}x^{n}=nx^{n-1} \Rightarrow \int{x^{n-1}dx}=\frac{x^{n}}{n}[/tex]
  5. Mar 16, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The general rule of

[tex] (x^{z})'=z x^{z-1},z\in \mathbb{C} [/tex]

is proven using the definition & generalized binomial formula (the one with Gamma Euler/Pochhammer symbols).

Once u've proven the Leibniz rule & implicitely the part integration mechanism,u can use the latter to

[tex] \int x^{z} \ dx = x^{z}\cdot x-\int (x^{z})'\cdot x \ dx =x^{z+1}-z\int x^{z} \ dx\Rightarrow \int x^{z} \ dx =\frac{1}{z+1} x^{z+1} +C ,z\neq -1

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  6. Mar 16, 2005 #5
    Why is

integral(1/x dx)=ln(x) ?

I can't find the derivation of this in google, afgh.

7. Mar 16, 2005 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I've proven the general case for a complex exp.other than "-1".For this singular case,i'm using the FTC which says

[tex] \int f(x) \ dx=F(x)+C \Rightarrow \frac{dF(x)}{dx}=f(x) [/tex]

Then i know that

[tex] \frac{d\ln x}{dx} =\frac{1}{x} [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{1}{x} \ dx=\ln x+C [/tex]

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int_1^x \frac{1}{t}dt = \ln(x)[/tex]
    is used as the definition for [itex]\ln x[/itex].

Otherwise, you can use implicit differentiation:

[tex]y=\ln x \iff x = e^y \Rightarrow 1=e^y \frac{dy}{dx} \iff \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{e^y}=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

and apply the FTC.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?