Why the modulus signs when integrating f'(x)/f(x)?

In summary, when integrating f'(x)/f(x), the accepted form is ln|f(x)|+c instead of lnf(x)+c. This is because logarithms are only defined for positive arguments, and when taking the derivative of ln(-x), the chain rule gives a result of 1/x. However, the anti-derivative for ln(x) is properly ln|x|+c, accounting for the absolute value. This is often forgotten because it usually doesn't matter, but it is important when dealing with negative arguments.
Cheman
I am able to proove to myself, through generalised substitution, that the integral of f'(x)/f(x) is lnf(x)+c, but where do the modulus signs come from? ie - The accepted integral is ln|f(x)|+c, not lnf(x)+c

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot be specific in my answer, but I know that a negative argument will not work with the natural logarithm function, therefore I guess the magnitude of the answer is the argument that is valid.

logarithms are only defined for positive arguments: loga(x) is the inverse to ax and (for a positive) ax is always positive.

But d(ln(x))/dx= 1/x for x positive, and using the chain rule, d(ln(-x))/dx= (1/(-x))(-1)= 1/x with x negative. Thus: the anti-derivative for ln(x) is properly ln|x|+ C rather than ln(x)+ C.

I will confess that I always forget the "| |" myself. Most of the time it doesn't matter: [itex]\int_a^b (1/x)dx= ln b- ln a[/itex] if a and b are both positive,
ln(|b|)- ln(|a|)= ln(-b)- ln(-a) if a and b are both negative so you can just 'ignore' the negative signs. Of course, 1/x is not defined for x= 0 and the integral is not defined if a is negative and b positive.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why do we use modulus signs when integrating f'(x)/f(x)?

The modulus signs are used to account for the possibility of negative values in the denominator of the fraction. Since integration is a continuous process, we need to ensure that the function remains defined for all values of x, including when the denominator is negative.

2. Can we skip using modulus signs when integrating f'(x)/f(x) if the denominator is always positive?

Yes, if the denominator is always positive, then the modulus signs are not necessary. However, it is good practice to include them in case the function changes or is used in a different context where the denominator may be negative.

3. Do the modulus signs affect the result of the integration?

Yes, using modulus signs will affect the result of the integration. It will change the domain of the function and may result in a different value for the integral. Therefore, it is important to include them when necessary.

4. Can we use absolute value instead of modulus signs when integrating f'(x)/f(x)?

Yes, the absolute value function can also be used instead of modulus signs for the same purpose. However, make sure to use the correct notation for absolute value, which is |x|, instead of ||x||.

5. Are there any other situations where modulus signs are used in integration?

Yes, modulus signs are commonly used when integrating fractional functions or functions with absolute value. They are also used when dealing with complex numbers in integration.