What Does the Term Singular Mean in Relation to Square Matrices?

• Thread starter es
  • Start date
In summary, the term "singular" is used to describe a square matrix that is nonsingular, meaning it has a unique solution for a homogeneous system, or singular, meaning it has infinitely many solutions. This term is not related to the word "single" and is derived from the concept of a mathematical singularity, where division by zero occurs. A singular matrix is not invertible and is considered to be out of the ordinary or peculiar in the realm of matrix operations.
es
Why the name "singular"?

The textbook I am currently reading gives the following definition:
"A square matrix is nonsingular if it is the matrix of coefficients of a homogeneous system with a unique solution. It is singular otherwise."

As I understand it a homogeneous system will either have one or
infinitely many solutions and I assumed this is where the choice of
the word singular came from. But if this is the case then the definition
seems backwards. Because the use of the word singular is consistent
in the book I think the definition is not backwards, just my understanding
of the word singular is.

So I went online to try to figure out what singular is describing.
Unfortunately the vast majority of the hits where related to determinates
and matrix inverses. Topics which I have not yet covered.

From the reading I did do I believe an inverse is roughly, a way to get back
to where you came from. So a matrix that can be applied but not unapplied is also singular. This seems like it is probably the significant fact but I am missing the connection to the word singular.

Could someone please explain what the word "singular" is describing?

Physics news on Phys.org
singular means not invertible. it has nothing to do with the word "single" as in a "single" solution.

A point where division by zero occurs is called a singularity, and the value at that point is typically not nice. If you're solving the linear system Ax = b to get x = A^-1*b, then if A is singular (non-invertible), you cannot solve it, because you cannot "divide" by A. A is not actually zero and you're not actually dividing by A, but that's how I like to think of singular to help it make sense.

I see now. I was basing my ideas and net searches on the word singular and I should have been using singularity. After making the switch I quickly found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_singularity
and coupled with the information provided by Matt and LeBrad I think I understand.

Because there are many solutions to the homogenous system the matrix is not invertible which creates a mathematical singularity. Hence the word singular.

Thanks for the help guys!

merriam webster says:

singular:

3 : being out of the ordinary : UNUSUAL <on the way home we had a singular adventure>
4 : departing from general usage or expectation : PECULIAR, ODD <the air had a singular chill>
5 a of a matrix : having a determinant equal to zero b of a linear transformation : having the property that the matrix of coefficients of the new variables has a determninant equal to zero.

i.e. it just means something special. i.e. the implication is that the general matrix is invertible.

What does the term "singular" mean in the context of science?

In science, the term "singular" often refers to something that is unique or one-of-a-kind. It can also be used to describe a specific point or event that stands out from others.

Why do scientists use the term "singular" in their research?

Scientists may use the term "singular" to describe a phenomenon or concept that cannot be easily explained or understood. It can also be used to emphasize the importance or significance of a particular finding or discovery.

Does the term "singular" have different meanings in different fields of science?

Yes, the term "singular" can have different meanings in different fields of science. For example, in mathematics, it may refer to a point at which a function or equation is undefined, while in physics, it may refer to a point of infinite density, such as a black hole.

What is an example of a "singular" event or object in science?

A classic example of a "singular" event in science is the Big Bang, which is believed to be the beginning of the universe. Another example is a singularity in a black hole, which is a point of infinite density and gravity.

How is the term "singular" related to the concept of "uniqueness" in science?

The term "singular" is often used to describe something that is unique or one-of-a-kind in science. This can refer to a rare or unusual occurrence, or to a fundamental and unexplainable aspect of the natural world.