Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the need to quantize?

1. Aug 21, 2008 #1
    May I know why is there a need to quantize photon? can't scientist single them out?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This is a very strange question.

You seem to forget history. We don't have the "need" to do anything. We only had to do something based on what Mother Nature tells us. Einstein just simply didn't wake up one day and said "I think, today, I'll just quantize photons for the hell of it".

I could easily ask you why do we need to describe light as a wave? Why do we need to quantize the electronic charge? Why do we need to have mass on fundamental particles, etc.. etc...

Zz.

4. Aug 21, 2008 #3
    Pardon me please, I'm just recently exposed to this module and have absolutely no background knowledge of physics at all. I'm really confused about these new terms(or scientific jargons).

So Einstein didn't need, then preferably I can rephrase my question to : Why did he say photon come in packets or quantized them?

5. Aug 21, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Because by doing that, which was inspired by Planck's Blackbody explanation, he could explain the photoelectric effect that could not be explained at that time via Maxwell Equations.

Zz.

6. Aug 21, 2008 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?