Why the projection of S on the xy plane cannot be used?

In summary, the problem with using the projection of S on the xy plane is that you don't know the value of ##z##.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Please see image
Relevant Equations
Please see image
Screenshot (260).png

Screenshot (261).png

I don't understand why we could not use the 1/4 of the circle lying on the xy plane as R. In the exercise it is not explained.

The idea would be taking the arc length. I know it is not easier than making your projection on the xz plane, but just wondering if this is possible. I guess it is not, but why...

EDIT

I've just realized there's a big issue if we select our infinitesimal patch of area to lie on the xy plane in this problem. Let's show it:

The unit normal vector is:

Screenshot (263).png

Then we'd get:
Screenshot (262).png

Note that nk yields zero, so this method is discarded.Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that giving ##x## and ##y## does not uniquely identify a point on the surface as they are necessarily related through ##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##. You need to use a parametrisation that is a 1-to-1 map to the surface you are integrating over.

Likes JD_PM
Orodruin said:
The point is that giving ##x## and ##y## does not uniquely identify a point on the surface as they are necessarily related through ##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##. You need to use a parametrisation that is a 1-to-1 map to the surface you are integrating over.

So do you mean that the reason is the following?

As the provided surface has no explicit value for z (##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##) then we cannot integrate through a region where z varies.

Indeed, in the provided solution, the region has a constant value for ##z##.

JD_PM said:
I don't understand why we could not use the 1/4 of the circle lying on the xy plane as R
Isn't it much simpler:
your ##\ A\ ## depends on ##z## so you somehow need to keep ##z## as integration variable
your ##\ A\cdot n\ ## does not depend on ##y## so you can afford to lose ##y##

Likes JD_PM
BvU said:
your ##\ A\ ## depends on ##z## so you somehow need to keep ##z## as integration variable
your ##\ A\cdot n\ ## does not depend on ##y## so you can afford to lose ##y##

I get that but actually I am still thinking why the projection of S on the xy plane cannot be used?...

JD_PM said:
So do you mean that the reason is the following?

As the provided surface has no explicit value for z (##R^2 = x^2 + y^2##) then we cannot integrate through a region where z varies.

No, that isn't what @Orodruin means.

Indeed, in the provided solution, the region has a constant value for ##z##.
No, it doesn't. ##z## varies for ##0## to ##5##. The fact that your normal vector is independent of ##z## doesn't mean that ##z## doesn't vary. You need to understand Orodruin's post #2. A parameterization of a surface requires two independent variables. Maybe it would help you to think of it this way. Given the equation of the surface, what additional information do you need to locate a point on the surface? I am thinking of a point on the surface and I tell you the ##x## and ##z## coordinates of the point. Can you figure it out? The answer is yes because you can get ##y## from the equation of the surface by knowing ##x##. But suppose I give you just the ##x## and ##y## coordinates. Then you can't tell me the coordinates of the point because you have no way of knowing ##z##. That is one reason you can't use just ##x## and ##y## for the parameterization of the surface.

• Informative
Likes JD_PM

1. Why is the projection of S on the xy plane not an accurate representation?

The projection of S on the xy plane is not an accurate representation because it only shows the two-dimensional view of a three-dimensional object. This means that important information about the object, such as depth and height, is lost in the projection.

2. Can the projection of S on the xy plane still be used for calculations?

Yes, the projection of S on the xy plane can still be used for certain calculations, such as determining the coordinates of points on the object's surface. However, it is important to keep in mind that the results may not accurately reflect the true dimensions of the object.

3. Why is it necessary to use multiple projections to fully understand an object?

Using multiple projections, such as the top, side, and front views, allows us to see the object from different angles and get a better understanding of its shape and dimensions. This is especially important for complex objects that cannot be accurately represented in just one projection.

4. How does the projection of S on the xy plane differ from a 3D model?

The projection of S on the xy plane is a simplified, two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional object. A 3D model, on the other hand, is a digital or physical representation that allows for a more accurate and detailed view of the object's shape and dimensions.

5. Are there any other limitations to using the projection of S on the xy plane?

Yes, there are other limitations to using the projection of S on the xy plane. For example, it cannot accurately represent curved surfaces, as they may appear distorted in the projection. Additionally, the projection may not accurately show the object's true orientation in space.