Why there are infinite ways to balance this Redox equation?

In summary: And, as I mentioned earlier, this example should NEVER be used in the intro level book (where you find it) as it is very misleading. It is better to show a list of possible reactions for H2O2 decomposition and Cl2O7 reactions with OH- and explain how the final reaction is a sum of these two.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Balance :-
$${Cl_2O_7} + {H_2O_2} {\longrightarrow} {ClO_2^-} +{O_2} + {H^+}$$
Medium :- basic

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$${\stackrel{+7}{Cl_2}\stackrel{-2}{O_7}} + {\stackrel{-1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} {\longrightarrow} {\stackrel{+3}{Cl}\stackrel{-2}{O_2^-}} +{\stackrel{0}{O_2}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H^+}}$$

Since both Oxygen and Chlorine reduces, but Oxygen also oxidizes in equation,

$${(1/2)\stackrel{+7}{Cl_2}\stackrel{-2}{O_7}} + {\stackrel{-1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} + 3{\stackrel{-1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} {\longrightarrow} {\stackrel{+3}{Cl}\stackrel{0}{O_2^-}} +{3\stackrel{-2}{O_2}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H^+}}$$

After that i balanced Oxygen and Hydrogen to get
$${Cl_2O_7} + {8H_2O_2} + 2OH^- {\longrightarrow} {2ClO_2^-} +{6O_2} + {9H^2O}$$

$$
\begin{array}{c|c|c|}

\text{Element} & \text{RHS} & \text{LHS}\\
Cl & 2 & 2\\
\hline
H & 18 & 18\\
\hline
O & 25 & 25\\

\end{array}$$

But given answer is something else,
$${Cl_2O_7} + {4H_2O_2} + 2OH^- {\longrightarrow} {2ClO_2^-} +{4O_2} + {5H^2O}$$

$$
\begin{array}{c|c|c|}

\text{Element} & \text{RHS} & \text{LHS}\\
Cl & 2 & 2\\
\hline
H & 10 & 10\\
\hline
O & 17 & 17\\
\end{array}$$

Both equations seems balanced but i don't understand why ?
Also http://www.webqc.org/balance.php says there are infinite ways to balance this equation.

So how can I get the second equation instead of mine with Oxidation Number method ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Problem is (as it often happens with the hydrogen peroxide reactions), you have two reactions taking place in parallel. One is the reaction between Cl2O7 and H2O2, the other is the reaction of the H2O2 decomposition. Any linear combination of both is still a correctly balanced reaction.

See http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=balancing-failure for more examples.

Borek said:
Problem is (as it often happens with the hydrogen peroxide reactions), you have two reactions taking place in parallel. One is the reaction between Cl2O7 and H2O2, the other is the reaction of the H2O2 decomposition. Any linear combination of both is still a correctly balanced reaction.

See http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=balancing-stoichiometry&right=balancing-failure for more examples.

What should I change in my approach to get the equation in the book's solution ?
I don't know what should I change. If i change the order of steps I get an unbalanced equation. :(

What you wrote is difficult to follow, as some of the oxidation numbers are wrong (oxygen in O2 is not -2, hydrogen in H2O2 is not -1) - thus it is hard to check what is going on and why you get this particular solution.

These are often difficult problems and the stoichiometry is best checked through the experiment, as it depends on the details of the reaction mechanism (impossible to predict just by looking at the reaction equation). Note that you can wrote two separate reaction equations:

Cl2O7 + 2OH- → 2ClO2- + 2O2 + H2O

and

2H2O2 → 2H2O + O2

In general, every linear combination (that is, multiply the first equation by any number and add the second equation multiplied by any number) of these will produce a correctly balanced equation.

Check that both equations you listed can be produced this way.

Borek said:
What you wrote is difficult to follow, as some of the oxidation numbers are wrong (oxygen in O2 is not -2, hydrogen in H2O2 is not -1) - thus it is hard to check what is going on and why you get this particular solution.

Sorry I was not familiar with these Latex commands and, I also copy-pasted some lines which caused the problem.

I did this :-

##{\stackrel{+7}{Cl_2}\stackrel{-2}{O_7}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} {\longrightarrow} {\stackrel{+3}{Cl}\stackrel{-2}{O_2^-}} +{\stackrel{0}{O_2}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H^+}}##

Then I balanced the increase and decrease in oxidation numbers.
##{(1/2)\stackrel{+7}{Cl_2}\stackrel{-2}{O_7}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} + 3{\stackrel{+1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}} {\longrightarrow} {\stackrel{+3}{Cl}\stackrel{-2}{O_2^-}} +{3\stackrel{0}{O_2}} + {\stackrel{+1}{H^+}}##

I multiplied ##\stackrel{+7}{Cl_2}\stackrel{-2}{O_7}## by 1/2 to balance the number of Cl on both sides.
I took two ##{\stackrel{+1}{H_2}\stackrel{-1}{O_2}}## as Oxygen is both reduced and oxidised.

After that I balanced oxygen and hydrogen by adding ##H_2O## and ##OH^-##.
I got ##{Cl_2O_7} + {8H_2O_2} + 2OH^- {\longrightarrow} {2ClO_2^-} +{6O_2} + {9H^2O}##

Is this correct ?

Why do you think oxygen gets both oxidized and reduced?

What would you get if you assume it gets only oxidized?

You are all the time concentrating on finding "how to balance the reaction to get the answer given in the book" instead of understanding that "the picture here is more complicated and the answer given in the book doesn't have to be correct". Won't get you far in general.

This example should be never used in the intro level book, as it is misleading.

Likes Buffu
Borek said:
Why do you think oxygen gets both oxidized and reduced?

Oxygen get reduced because its oxidation number decrease from -1 ##H_2O_2## to -2 in ##ClO_2^-## . It get oxidized because it increases from -1 ##H_2O_2## and -2 in ##Cl_2O_7## to 0 in ##O_2##.

Buffu said:
Oxygen get reduced because its oxidation number decrease from -1 ##H_2O_2## to -2 in ##ClO_2^-## .

Why do you assume oxygen "moved" from H2O2 to the chlorine containing molecule? Cl2O7 already contains enough "own" oxygen atoms to produce 2ClO2- without a need for additional oxygen:

Cl2O7 → 2ClO2-

(this is not balanced, but if you do the counting you will find there are 3 excess oxygen atoms on the left, no need to add more of them).

And that's why you got a different result - you added unnecessary molecules of water peroxide. Then you balanced the equation with water and oxygen - trick is you can add ANY number of additional H2O2 molecules on the left and still balance the reaction with water and oxygen, that's because you are just adding more hydrogen peroxide decomposition "reactions".

But: just because you will not add excess hydrogen peroxide doesn't mean you will get a CORRECT answer. As you have seen the "final" equation depends on whether you put more or less hydrogen peroxide molecules on the LHS. You can as well don't use them at all and get the reaction I already posted earlier:

Cl2O7 + 2OH- → 2ClO2- + 2O2 + H2O

And I will repeat myself: the only sure way to tell which of these reactions is a correct one is to check the stoichiometry by experiment.

Borek said:
Why do you assume oxygen "moved" from H2O2 to the chlorine containing molecule? Cl2O7 already contains enough "own" oxygen atoms to produce 2ClO2- without a need for additional oxygen:

Yes you are right. Thanks for clarifying.

1. Why can't the Redox equation be balanced with just one method?

The Redox equation cannot be balanced with just one method because there are an infinite number of possible combinations of reactants and products that can be used to balance the equation. Each combination may require a different approach to balance the equation correctly.

2. How is the balancing of a Redox equation different from other types of equations?

The balancing of a Redox equation is different from other types of equations because it involves the transfer of electrons between reactants and products. This makes the process more complex and requires additional steps to ensure that the equation is balanced correctly.

3. Why is it important to balance a Redox equation?

Balancing a Redox equation is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass and the law of conservation of charge are both satisfied. This means that the number of atoms and the net charge on both sides of the equation are equal, which is essential for accurate calculations and predictions.

4. Can any Redox equation be balanced using the same method?

No, not all Redox equations can be balanced using the same method. The method used to balance the equation depends on the specific reactants and products involved. There are various methods, such as the half-reaction method and the oxidation number method, which can be used depending on the nature of the equation.

5. Is it possible to have more than one correct way to balance a Redox equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one correct way to balance a Redox equation. This is because there are multiple combinations of coefficients that can satisfy the law of conservation of mass and the law of conservation of charge. However, the most commonly used method is the one that results in the simplest and most balanced equation.