What happened to Fattah Elsheik in the Green Zone?

• News
  • Thread starter Bilal
  • Start date
In summary, an Iraqi lawmaker named Fattah Elsheik was stopped by American soldiers while on his way to a Parliament meeting. He claims that one of the soldiers hit him with a gun and mocked the Parliament. The Parliament demanded an apology from the U.S. Embassy and the prosecution of the soldier involved. However, there are conflicting reports about the incident and the Iraqi government has not officially asked for an apology. Some believe that the lawmaker's party has links to Iraqi terrorist Muqtada al-Sadr.
Bilal
Please see attached picture!

Ten millions of people in ME watched this man crying on tv! so what his story?

This man is called Fattah Elsheik. He was elected in the new Iraqi parliament. On 19/04/2005, he went to the ‘’Green zone’’ to join Parliament meeting. The American soldiers stopped his car. After he show them his ‘’diplomatic passport’’, one of soldiers started to hit him by his gun on his neck and made him fall down … his ‘’diplomatic colloquies’’ shouted on the soldiers and told them that this is ‘’member in our Parliament’’. One of soldiers replied in Arabic: ((F**k your Parliament, you should know we are American ...) :yuck:

Fattah arrived the parliament crying from pains after he lost his sound for more than hour … which forced the Parliament to quit the meeting as protest because of hitting their collogue and to wait till he get his sound again and stop crying. :rofl:
The American army confirmed the fighting between the solider and diplomatic Iraqi, and promised to investigate about this accident.

No comments! :wink:

Attachments

• 546966550.jpg
    546966550.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 393
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wtf is so funny?

The promised democracy of GWB! it became joke ...

cronxeh said:
wtf is so funny?

U.S. military says regrets incident with Iraq lawmaker
According to an initial investigation, Sheikh's car had pulled out of a line of traffic, crossed the median and drove up to a checkpoint in the opposite lane, the U.S. military said.

The lawmaker then got out of the car and a "verbal and physical altercation" erupted between him and the U.S. troops' interpreter, it said.

U.S. soldiers separated the pair and one of them held Sheikh briefly. A soldier also barred a member of his party from leaving the car, it said.
the other side of the story...

Last edited:
Seems like american politicians and stars aren't the only ones who suffer from the "Do you know who I am??" syndrome.

In fact the Iraqi parliament asked the American ambassador to apologies, but he did not do that till know according to my knowledge.

Foreign solider who suppose to be guest should be respectful ... also if they treat the elected leaders in this manner, how they treat the normal Iraqi people?

Its all about Iraqi dignity, we get it. No country wants to have foreign boots on their ground - and trust me, most American soldiers don't want to be there either. They are following their orders - every single one of them, after all you don't see GWB on Iraqi soil.

I think you are horribly twisting the truth here.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/nation/0504/20/A05-155820.htm

First of all, you have only the shiek's word as to whether he was handcuffed or not. Just because he is saying it doesn't mean it is true.

Secondly the altercation was between the shiek and the troops' INTERPRETER, not the SOLDIERS.

Thirdly, the Shiek's party has suspected links with the Iraqi terrorist Muqtada al-Sadr.

And Lastly, the Iraqi government HAS NOT asked for an apology from the US. Can you point me to a source which says so?

IMO, it is incredibly biased of you to make a topic of everything that might potray US in a negative light while you keep silent of all the crimes that the Iraqi terrorists have inflicted upon the Iraqis and the US military.

as much I'm sorry for this guy he should know better as to who rules Iraq.not some stupid iraqi puppets in parliament but american soldiers.

First: There is no reason not to believe the lawmaker who cries in front of the Camera, and to believe the supporters of GWB who confirmed 1 thousand times that Iraq producing chemical-biological and nuclear weapons, so he can destroy them!.

Second: Translators work as soldiers also.

Third: Muqtada is not a terrorist. He lost his brothers, father and most of his family after they declared several revolutions on Saddam since 1980. May be you call him terrorist because he does not support GWB, but surely he is just man who defend his country against the invaders and dictators (Anglo-American and Saddam). Anyway, this man is protected diplomatically for being member in parliament and lawmaker.

Finally, I said the Iraqi Parliament (not government) who asks for apology.
I heard the story in details in Arab tvs, and here what I found on American sources ... they typed the same article with different titles ...

http://justworldnews.org/archives/001234.html
IRAQ: PARLIAMENTARIAN HUMILIATED BY US SOLDIERS

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/world/iraq/20050419-1256-iraq.html
Iraq's new parliament demands apology after legislator says he was roughed up at American checkpoint

((But in the National Assembly, lawmaker Fattah al-Sheik stood and cried as he described being stopped at a checkpoint on the way to work Tuesday. He claimed an American soldier kicked his car, mocked the legislature, handcuffed him and held him by the neck.))

((During a one-hour adjournment to protest al-Sheik's treatment, lawmaker Salam al-Maliki read an assembly statement demanding an apology from the U.S. Embassy and the prosecution of the soldier who allegedly mistreated the legislator.))

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/ap/story.asp?AP_ID=D89IUU880
Iraqi Lawmakers Demand Apology From U.S.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002246736_iraq20.html

sid_galt said:
I think you are horribly twisting the truth here.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/nation/0504/20/A05-155820.htm

First of all, you have only the shiek's word as to whether he was handcuffed or not. Just because he is saying it doesn't mean it is true.

Secondly the altercation was between the shiek and the troops' INTERPRETER, not the SOLDIERS.

Thirdly, the Shiek's party has suspected links with the Iraqi terrorist Muqtada al-Sadr.

And Lastly, the Iraqi government HAS NOT asked for an apology from the US. Can you point me to a source which says so?

IMO, it is incredibly biased of you to make a topic of everything that might potray US in a negative light while you keep silent of all the crimes that the Iraqi terrorists have inflicted upon the Iraqis and the US military.

This is the point, currently who rules Iraq? Puppet regime or the American soldiers?

stoned said:
as much I'm sorry for this guy he should know better as to who rules Iraq.not some stupid iraqi puppets in parliament but american soldiers.

So Bilal, let me guess.

Everyone in your neighborhood has an anti-American/English sentiment, and essentially would take a shot at a GI if they got the chance?

You do realize you could kill thousands of Americans, but in the end you will never succeed. You can nuke East and West coasts and Texas and Midwest and even our labour supply - Mexico, as well as our healthcare provider - Canada, and you still will never succeed?

According to an initial investigation, Sheikh's car had pulled out of a line of traffic, crossed the median and drove up to a checkpoint in the opposite lane, the U.S. military said.
considering American soldiers are supposedly so trigger happy, I find it amazing that with this type of erratic driving at a checkpoint...he or his driver wasn't shot.
This is a typical "Do you know who I am?!" type of action that I'd condemn no matter what race or what country the politician is from. IF it's the choice of believing a POLITICIAN or a SOLDIER doing his duty, damn straight I'd take the word of the soldier first...
I mean...how many of you have yourselves said on these very forums "Politicians are liars?" or some such similar thing.
Give me a break Bilal, this isn't an American-Iraq thing, this is a big whig politican who thinks he had greater rights then those other people standing in line and then got pissed off when others didn't see it that way. I've read similar happenings with movie stars and politicians in the U.S. a million times.

You are completely wrong. Your claims are considered as insult. :frown:
I really do not know on what basis you made these conclusions?

If we have anti American feelings, we will not discuss with you. We believe always that American/English politician who is responsible about their crimes, not their nations.

There are many American/Jews come to visit Palestine and they are welcomed. I do not deny that the problem of Iraq gave bad image about American, but we really respect the American as nation. I am researcher and I collaborate with American and Israeli researchers to solve scientific problems without care about nationality, race or religion.

Canada and Europe in have a lot of respect in ME, even among the extremists groups.

I admit we have extremists, but they are the same as KKK in USA or neo Nazi in Europe. They are rejected by most of people, so they doing random terrorists attack Saudi Arabia, USA, Turkey, Indonesia, and Morocco …. Because they know that nobody wants them. Their victims re not just American, they are from different religions and nationalities.

Anyway, I am offend by your comments, and it remind by extremists Zionist who murdering the Palestinian everyday and claim that we are Jews haters or anti Semite. It is could tactic to scatter the discussion by such claims.

I wish the best for you
Take care

cronxeh said:
So Bilal, let me guess.

Everyone in your neighborhood has an anti-American/English sentiment, and essentially would take a shot at a GI if they got the chance?

You do realize you could kill thousands of Americans, but in the end you will never succeed. You can nuke East and West coasts and Texas and Midwest and even our labour supply - Mexico, as well as our healthcare provider - Canada, and you still will never succeed?

If he did that on checkpoint, they surely will kill him ... so I doubt about their story.

I said for one millions time, I am not anti American or anti Jews. I am almost ''humanist'' who believe that all human have the rights to live as free people whatever their religion or their race.

I have student who lost his life to save Jews child in Galilee Lake in 2000 and I am proud of him.

I care about the American right to live in peace and safe more than Ann Coulter..Also I wish we can live in peace with Jews after all these conflicts. But, we should discuss frankly instead to hide our heads in sand.

If people do not like to hear what I say, I will leave this forum.

Take care
I wish the best for you and your family

kat said:
considering American soldiers are supposedly so trigger happy, I find it amazing that with this type of erratic driving at a checkpoint...he or his driver wasn't shot.
This is a typical "Do you know who I am?!" type of action that I'd condemn no matter what race or what country the politician is from. IF it's the choice of believing a POLITICIAN or a SOLDIER doing his duty, damn straight I'd take the word of the soldier first...
I mean...how many of you have yourselves said on these very forums "Politicians are liars?" or some such similar thing.
Give me a break Bilal, this isn't an American-Iraq thing, this is a big whig politican who thinks he had greater rights then those other people standing in line and then got pissed off when others didn't see it that way. I've read similar happenings with movie stars and politicians in the U.S. a million times.

if there were more people like you, this war would have never happened

Bilal said:
If he did that on checkpoint, they surely will kill him ... so I doubt about their story.
Well you see...I was being sarcastic and you've just affirmed the prejudicial veiw I thought you held. Knowing that the soldiers who guard the specific checkpoints are dealing with many high ranking politicians who are apt to act in certain manners (because they DO believe they are privilaged) I'm very sure they are extremely well trained on procedure. Particularly trained not to be "trigger happy". Knowing this, I"m again going to repeat that I am very sure this is a Politician who thought he was privelaged and should be allowed to cut in front of others and not wait in line acting belligerant and outraged to find that ...no, he's not so special after all.

I said for one millions time, I am not anti American or anti Jews. I am almost ''humanist'' who believe that all human have the rights to live as free people whatever their religion or their race.
I didn't say you were Anti- anything..but several people who are known to be very even handed in their responses have suggested to you that you are VERY biased in your views. This might be a good indication that it's time for you to take a good look at your own responses and beliefs. Particularly where you seem so eager to jump on these soldiers.

I have student who lost his life to save Jews child in Galilee Lake in 2000 and I am proud of him.
They very fact that you have to say it was a jewish child...and they way you've said it suggest to me that it should be read..."In spite of it being a jewish child". The fact that it's noted what race the child is COULD be taken as rascist. Not saying it is...but it's certainly indicative.

I care about the American right to live in peace and safe more than Ann Coulter..Also I wish we can live in peace with Jews after all these conflicts. But, we should discuss frankly instead to hide our heads in sand.
I agree it should be discussed frankly..after all the best way to peace is good dialogue IMO. I don't believe that your realistic in how Jews would be treated in an Arab dominated country. I think your views of how they were treated in the past are distorted and dishonest.

If people do not like to hear what I say, I will leave this forum.

Take care
I wish the best for you and your family
I wish the best to you as well, but I think it's childish to take your toys and go just because people aren't agreeing with you and might be pointing out some bias in your views. *shrug*.

kat said:
They very fact that you have to say it was a jewish child...and they way you've said it suggest to me that it should be read..."In spite of it being a jewish child". The fact that it's noted what race the child is COULD be taken as rascist. Not saying it is...but it's certainly indicative.

The point could have been made with greater sensitivity, but Bilal is obviously not adept at the use of English, so I would be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt here. And yes, you might say it's racist to bring something like that up, but let's not kid ourself, that area of the world is very much polarised by race/religion/history/culture (call it what you will), so there's nothing to be gained by burying the issues in PC-language.

I would like to ask Bilal something : "would an *immediate*, *complete* withdrawal of all American and "allied" troops from Iraq satisfy you ? Would it satisfy most Iraqis ?" Because I think it's high time a proper referendum was held to establish how the Iraqi people feel about a continued American presence on their soil. Noone likes foreign boots on their soil, it is true, and no one should be forced to suffer this for longer than is absolutely necessary.

I understand that the Americans are going on and on about "rebuilding" Iraq. Fair enough, that is an ostensibly noble motive on the face of things. But if a large majority of the indigenous population simply doesn't want you there then you become an unwelcome invading force.

So hold the referendum, and respect the outcome. Bug out of there immediately if the people want you to. If the country collapses into civil war, then it's just too bad, it's what the people wanted. America doesn't have to kick itself over that eventuality, you can't (or at least shouldn't) be expected to bear all the burdens of the world.

What about the much hyped "terrorist"/"insurgent" problem that is feared to rise again if America gets out of that place ? Frankly I don't see much evidence at all that an American presence in the region has done anything of value to lessen the threat of global terrorism, in fact, the reverse may be the case, because there are a lot of young people who became instant America haters after what is widely perceived as an unwarranted act of aggression by America against Iraq over oil/religious interests. The terrorists may actually have a larger pool of new willing recruits to choose from, therein lies the tragic irony.

This dubious "war on terror" seems to have lost all focus after the invasion of Iraq. Why hasn't the money trail leading so clearly into Saudi Arabia been prosecuted ? If anything, that is where things should have begun.

If indeed the terrorist menace does "rise again" after an American withdrawal from Iraq (doubt it), then deal with it as the situation demands. If you can't adequately defend your country's security from within your own borders, there's something seriously wrong with your defence policy. I'm not advocating complete isolationism for America on the global theatre, simply that the administration pick its battles, and embark upon them for justifiable reasons.

In short, hold a referendum in Iraq, and get out of there if the people want you gone. It's that simple. Otherwise, the people that are ascribing ulterior motives to the continued presence of Americans in Iraq may be onto something after all.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
So hold the referendum, and respect the outcome. Bug out of there immediately if the people want you to. If the country collapses into civil war, then it's just too bad, it's what the people wanted. America doesn't have to kick itself over that eventuality, you can't (or at least shouldn't) be expected to bear all the burdens of the world.

America can't allow the majority in Iraq to control what happens to the minority. The minority opinion is just as important as the majority opinion.

Curious3141 said:
What about the much hyped "terrorist"/"insurgent" problem that is feared to rise again if America gets out of that place ? Frankly I don't see much evidence at all that an American presence in the region has done anything of value to lessen the threat of global terrorism, in fact, the reverse may be the case, because there are a lot of young people who became instant America haters after what is widely perceived as an unwarranted act of aggression by America against Iraq over oil/religious interests.

Saddam hated America. Al-Qaeda hated America.

IMO, there was a VERY good opportunity for alliance between the two if it wasn't already there.

Curious3141 said:
This dubious "war on terror" seems to have lost all focus after the invasion of Iraq. Why hasn't the money trail leading so clearly into Saudi Arabia been prosecuted ? If anything, that is where things should have begun.

Money trail to Saudi Arabia? What do you mean?

personally I am against all wars, or better said, against war it self.

sometimes war are inevitable, and then, is when the rules change. I am no way justifying these soldiers, what I mean is that the US uses it's power to not have to give apologies to the "Iraqui" (american controlled 100%) parliament. did those soldiers get expeled or something? probably dummy bush even gave them an honour medal, and this would be the reason "for defending our country, constitution, peace, liberty and democracy, I condecorate these soldiers for the grace of my flag, my self, and of god!" and you would probably hear some background "geatfull" orchestra music, and americans "BUSH! BUSH!" etz... Although I have no wright in attacking american's stupidity in voting (sorry to those americans that are reading this, it is only a generalization, which I hate to do, but are needed to have arguments) because my contrie's (spain) population stipidity is even greater, voting in favor of such a retard as the actualy president, and him demostrating more stupidity, and cowardy, removing Spanish troops from Irak, and actually our army was only in humanitary subjects!

sid_galt said:
America can't allow the majority in Iraq to control what happens to the minority. The minority opinion is just as important as the majority opinion.
The Bush regime, I mean administration, cannot allow Iraq to fall into civil war because they rallied America to the cry of spreading freedom and peace throughout the region and world. If Iraq fails to become a democracy in the American image, it will mean Bush is the clueless leader that he really is.
sid_galt said:
Saddam hated America. Al-Qaeda hated America.

IMO, there was a VERY good opportunity for alliance between the two if it wasn't already there.
Middle East experts will tell you the big differences in agenda, philosophy, etc. between Saddam (power hungry, self-absorbed dictator) versus Al Qeada (very religious anti Western encroachment). Even the Iraqi insurgents and Al Qeada are only loosely, and temporarily allied. Americans have so little understanding of the Middle East.

sid_galt said:

Applying that stellar logic to the American "democracy", the incumbent American President shouldn't have been elected in the first (if the opinion of a sane minority had prevailed), which would probably have been for the best because we wouldn't have found ourself in this pickle with any other President in charge.

Saddam hated America. Al-Qaeda hated America. IMO, there was a VERY good opportunity for alliance between the two if it wasn't already there.

A dog has 4 legs and a tail. A cat has 4 legs and a tail. Therefore a cat is a dog. Flawed syllogism, anybody ?

There are plenty of compelling reasons to dismiss the "SH in league with OBL" flight of fancy. OBL hated SH for being a lecherous apostatic degenerate, for one thing. "America hating" is hardly that much of a unifying factor, there are *plenty* of people who detest American policies, even more so of late, given your President's performance.

Money trail to Saudi Arabia? What do you mean?

Oil money. The one that your President and his cronies have been guilty of wallowing in in the past (and probably the present). Where do you think the inexhaustible wellspring of funding Arab terrorists are enjoying comes from ? Goodwill and kittens ?

If the iraqi dude had the "do you know who i am" syndrome, then he got what he should, if not then the soldier should get what's coming to him. I am in no possition to judge any of them, none of us are. Just chill it, you could say we did him a favor, you know they saying "pain is weakness leaving the body", don;t you? who wants to be weak? not me, i beat myself on a regular basis

Fibonacci

No, not really :wink:

1 said:
If the iraqi dude had the "do you know who i am" syndrome, then he got what he should, if not then the soldier should get what's coming to him. I am in no possition to judge any of them, none of us are. Just chill it, you could say we did him a favor, you know they saying "pain is weakness leaving the body", don;t you? who wants to be weak? not me, i beat myself on a regular basis

Forget about this one guy, he may be a crybaby, and I'm not shedding any tears over his "mistreatment". I'm looking at the glaring larger picture. If a majority of the Iraqi populace wants America gone, then it should just be gone. The major pretext used to justify the Iraqi invasion, that of finding the vaunted WMDs stashed away all over the country, has now officially fallen flat.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050426/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_weapons_hunt_6

So hold a plebiscite, and if the people want you to, leave. It's that simple.

1. What is the Green Zone?

The Green Zone is a heavily fortified area in Baghdad, Iraq, that was established by the United States and coalition forces after the 2003 invasion of Iraq. It is also known as the International Zone and is home to government buildings, embassies, and military bases.

2. Who is Fattah Elsheik?

Fattah Elsheik is a scientist and researcher who was working in the Green Zone on projects related to sustainability and renewable energy. He was known for his expertise in environmental engineering and his passion for creating a more sustainable future.

3. What happened to Fattah Elsheik in the Green Zone?

There are conflicting reports about what happened to Fattah Elsheik in the Green Zone. Some sources claim that he was killed in a bombing, while others say he was captured by terrorists. There is currently no confirmed information about his fate.

4. Was Fattah Elsheik targeted because of his work in sustainability?

It is unclear if Fattah Elsheik was specifically targeted because of his work in sustainability. However, it is possible that his work and beliefs may have made him a target for those who oppose progress towards a more environmentally friendly world.

5. Has there been any progress in finding out what happened to Fattah Elsheik?

Unfortunately, there has not been any significant progress in finding out what happened to Fattah Elsheik. The situation in the Green Zone is still volatile and dangerous, making it difficult for investigations to take place. However, efforts are ongoing to gather more information and hopefully shed light on his fate.