Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Why thrz sudden increse inthe smal reversesaturation current at the breakdown voltage

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1
    why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?......

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: why thrz sudden increse inthe smal reversesaturation current at the breakdown vol

Of what? Of a diode? What kind of diode? What is the context of your question? Is this schoolwork?

4. Feb 8, 2010 #3
    Re: why thrz sudden increse inthe smal reversesaturation current at the breakdown vol

i am sorry i didnt type the full question. I thought it didnt have anything to do with this. This is not a schoolwork. I was going through this topic for my exam and saw this question in past papers as well but I am unable to find its answer .

Q. Describe a PN junction ? Discuss its ampere volt characteristics.Why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?.

5. Feb 8, 2010 #4

berkeman

What are your thoughts? Can you answer the first part of the question? And what happens at reverse breakdown... What is breaking down? Is anything avalanching yet...?

6. Feb 8, 2010 #5

yes sir , . as my petite idea is concerned a pn junction is combination of the n type material and p type material .No need to say about the abundance of electrons in the n type and holes in the p type .

breakdown voltage occurs in reverse biasing.

i am not sure if we are to reduce or increase the deplition region at the junction. And if so , then how ? voltage?

7. Feb 8, 2010 #6

berkeman

This intro page for diodes should help you out. Let us know if you have specific questions about the article after you read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

8. Feb 14, 2010 #7

I Am still not convinced after reading all that. anyone to answer please?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook