Sudden Increase in Reverse Saturation Current: Exploring Breakdown Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses the sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage in a PN junction. The context is related to a question about describing a PN junction and its ampere volt characteristics, and the possible reason for this sudden increase is discussed. The person asking the question is preparing for an exam and is seeking an answer to this question.
aliz_khanz
why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?...

Physics news on Phys.org

aliz_khanz said:
why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?...

Of what? Of a diode? What kind of diode? What is the context of your question? Is this schoolwork?

i am sorry i didnt type the full question. I thought it didnt have anything to do with this. This is not a schoolwork. I was going through this topic for my exam and saw this question in past papers as well but I am unable to find its answer .

Q. Describe a PN junction ? Discuss its ampere volt characteristics.Why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?.

aliz_khanz said:
i am sorry i didnt type the full question. I thought it didnt have anything to do with this. This is not a schoolwork. I was going through this topic for my exam and saw this question in past papers as well but I am unable to find its answer .

Q. Describe a PN junction ? Discuss its ampere volt characteristics.Why there is sudden increase in the small reverse saturation current at the breakdown voltage?.

What are your thoughts? Can you answer the first part of the question? And what happens at reverse breakdown... What is breaking down? Is anything avalanching yet...?

yes sir , . as my petite idea is concerned a pn junction is combination of the n type material and p type material .No need to say about the abundance of electrons in the n type and holes in the p type .

breakdown voltage occurs in reverse biasing.i am not sure if we are to reduce or increase the deplition region at the junction. And if so , then how ? voltage?

aliz_khanz said:
yes sir , . as my petite idea is concerned a pn junction is combination of the n type material and p type material .No need to say about the abundance of electrons in the n type and holes in the p type .

breakdown voltage occurs in reverse biasing.

i am not sure if we are to reduce or increase the deplition region at the junction. And if so , then how ? voltage?

This intro page for diodes should help you out. Let us know if you have specific questions about the article after you read it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

I Am still not convinced after reading all that. anyone to answer please?

1. What is reverse saturation current?

Reverse saturation current is the small current that flows in the opposite direction of the forward-biased current in a diode when it is at its maximum allowable reverse voltage. It is caused by minority carriers being swept across the depletion region of the diode.

2. What causes a sudden increase in reverse saturation current?

A sudden increase in reverse saturation current can be caused by a breakdown in the diode, which occurs when the reverse voltage exceeds the diode's breakdown voltage. This can happen due to high temperatures, excessive forward current, or defects in the diode's structure.

3. What is breakdown voltage?

Breakdown voltage is the reverse voltage at which a diode experiences a sudden increase in reverse saturation current and loses its ability to block current in the reverse direction. It is an important parameter to consider in diode design and can vary depending on the type of diode and its construction.

4. How does a sudden increase in reverse saturation current affect diode performance?

A sudden increase in reverse saturation current can lead to a breakdown in the diode, causing it to no longer function as intended. This can result in a loss of efficiency and potentially damage to the diode or other components in the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the breakdown voltage when choosing a diode for a specific application.

5. How can the breakdown voltage of a diode be determined?

The breakdown voltage of a diode can be determined through testing and experimentation. This can involve gradually increasing the reverse voltage applied to the diode while monitoring the reverse saturation current. The breakdown voltage is typically defined as the voltage at which the reverse saturation current increases significantly, usually by several orders of magnitude.