Total KE = Sum of Translational & Rotational KE: Proving the Equation

In summary, the KE of a rolling object is the sum of its translational and rotational kinetic energies.
Afo
Homework Statement
Why is total kinetic energy always equal to the sum of rotational and translational kinetic energies?
Relevant Equations
1/2 I W^2
KE = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 I W^2
Why is the total energy energy equal to the sum of translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy? I understand the derivation KE = 1/2 I w^2 for a rigid object rotating around an axis:

sum 0.5 * m_n * (v_T)^2 = sum 0.5 * m_n * (wr_n)^2 = 0.5 * w^2 * sum m_n r_n^2 = 0.5 * I * w^2

But I don't understand how the KE of a rolling without slipping object is simply the addition of them. I think the proof is pretty complicated since the tangential velocity and translational velocity makes an angle which varies.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From an arithmetic point of view, translational KE, rotational KE and PE are what's used for simple kinematics exercises.

Conservation of Energy principle is the "proof".

Example of a ball coming down a ramp:
1) for a non-frictionless interaction, the PE at the top of the ramp is equal to the translational KE at the bottom ; translational only, since there is no rotation.
2) for a rolling ball, the PE at the top of the ramp is equal to the added KE's at the bottom.

The ball in the second example will not have as high a translational velocity as the first, when they hit the bottom of the ramp, but will of course have a higher rotational velocity.

My apologies if this is too simplistic an explanation.

Write the total kinetic energy as an integral over the mass distribution. Then split the position vector into the center of mass vector and the displacement from the center of mass. Then start simplifying. The cross terms between the center of mass and displacement will cancel out and leave the center of mass translational energy and the rotational energy relative to the center of mass.

It is important that the rotational energy is relative to the center of mass or the statement is not necessarily true.
hmmm27 said:
Conservation of Energy principle is the "proof".
No, it is not.

Likes PeroK
Afo said:
Homework Statement:: Why is total kinetic energy always equal to the sum of rotational and translational kinetic energies?
Relevant Equations:: 1/2 I W^2
KE = 1/2 m v^2 + 1/2 I W^2

Why is the total energy energy equal to the sum of translational kinetic energy and rotational kinetic energy? I understand the derivation KE = 1/2 I w^2 for a rigid object rotating around an axis:

sum 0.5 * m_n * (v_T)^2 = sum 0.5 * m_n * (wr_n)^2 = 0.5 * w^2 * sum m_n r_n^2 = 0.5 * I * w^2

But I don't understand how the KE of a rolling without slipping object is simply the addition of them. I think the proof is pretty complicated since the tangential velocity and translational velocity makes an angle which varies.
It's clearly true in the centre of mass frame. What happens when you add the same linear velocity to every point mass? That transforms to a reference frame where the centre of mass has that velocity.

Hint: using the definition of centre of mass should cause some terms in the equation to vanish.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks I got it.

1. What is the equation for total kinetic energy?

The equation for total kinetic energy is Total KE = Translational KE + Rotational KE.

2. How is translational kinetic energy calculated?

Translational kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying half of the mass of an object by its velocity squared.

3. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

Rotational kinetic energy is calculated by multiplying half of the moment of inertia of an object by its angular velocity squared.

4. Why is it important to consider both translational and rotational kinetic energy?

It is important to consider both translational and rotational kinetic energy because an object's total kinetic energy is the sum of both types of energy. Neglecting one type of kinetic energy would result in an inaccurate calculation of the object's total kinetic energy.

5. How can the equation for total kinetic energy be proven?

The equation for total kinetic energy can be proven by using the principles of energy conservation and the definitions of translational and rotational kinetic energy. By setting the initial and final energies equal to each other and substituting in the equations for translational and rotational kinetic energy, the equation for total kinetic energy can be derived.