Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why use autoionizing states?

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    In terms of stationary states we have bound states and free(plane wave or Coulomb) states
    Autoionizing states are free(E>0), e.g. continuum, but localized states(resonances). Hence
    wavepackets consisting of a band of plane or Coulomb waves. I understand they may be long-lived, longer than the experiment and that ionization may occur by a bound state acquiring some energy, staying localized for a while in an autoionizing state. But why do we need to include them and not use the simpler bound+free(plane or Coulomb ) basis? After all autoionizing states should be nothing more than a linear combination of plane or Coulomb waves

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    I think because the plane wave states are simply not valid solutions in the neighborhood of, say, a hydrogen nucleus. How can they be when they are the solutions for free space?

To put it more clearly, the free state solutions can be re-expressed in terms of spherical Bessel functions rather than plane waves. Now add a proton to the center of the coordinate systems. Do you not think the Bessel functions will be distorted?

4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    I don't think that's right. Coulomb waves have the correct asymptotic behavior, but the point is that this is merely a basis; you can use any basis you want to represent the states and clearly bound states +say Coulomb waves is a complete basis. What's the point of non-stationary autoionizing states?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook