Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why use the Legendre transform over back substitution

1. Aug 23, 2016 #1
    In thermodynamics we use a variation of the Legandere Legendre transform to move from one description of the system to another ( depending on what is the control variable...), but I don't understand why choose to use the Legandere Legendre transform over writing x in terms of s=dy/dx and back substituting to y=f(x), please refrain from using differential forms if you can, as much as I tried I just don't seem to have the foundations to understand them (being a physics student) and unfortunately I really don't have the time to try and cover everything needed to understand them.

Mod note: Fixed misspelling of Legendre.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted