Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why was my IP address banned?

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

While I was traveling abroad I was not able to log in; an error message said my IP address was banned. Can anyone explain why that might have happened?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How were you accessing PF? It has come up before that IP addresses from open proxy servers are blocked from accessing PF, so it could be that during your travels, you were using something that was an open proxy or that someone had reported as being one. That, or maybe you've stumbled upon some internet cafe where some past nuisance posted from and had their IP blocked. Did you have the problem in multiple locations, or just one place?

4. Oct 7, 2005 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

I once tried to access the forums through a public proxy server.. Matter of fact most of them seem banned - perhaps the ban is for originating port rather than one domain. In either case you were probably on a LAN in some internet cafe that used outbound ports 8080 or 3128 or just 80?

5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks for the inputs.

The U.S. equivalent of my connectedness is having a single 900 number that anyone can dial in from anywhere and be connected to the Internet over a nation-wide Verizon, or Bell South, or SBC. I was never in an Internet cafe because I had my laptop with me and could dial that nation-wide ISP number.

A mentionable aspect is that the IP address was being blocked in a certain location but not in another location, although in both instances the IP was being assigned by the same nation-wide ISP. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?