Why was the F block of the periodic table created?

In summary: For instance, Cerium is more abundant than Copper).In summary, the F block in the periodic table consists of elements that are artificially synthesized. These elements were primarily created out of curiosity and for scientific research purposes. However, they are now widely used in various technologies such as fluorescent and LED lamps, cell phone cameras and flashlights, smoke detectors, and even in weapons. Some of the elements, like Promethium, are naturally unavailable and can only be created through artificial synthesis. Additionally, four of the lanthanides are named after the same town in Sweden where they were first discovered, and these elements were initially called "rare-earth" elements due to their low content in minerals and difficulty in separation.
nineteen
Basically, the F block is a series in the periodic table that consist of elements that are artificially synthesized. My question is, why were these elements synthesized? What was the need of synthesizing such elements?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I am confident others with expertise in this area will provide specific scientific reasons, but arguably the underlying one is the same that accounts for all science - Curiosity.

Likes nineteen
Ophiolite said:
I am confident others with expertise in this area will provide specific scientific reasons, but arguably the underlying one is the same that accounts for all science - Curiosity.
Thank you for the answer.

nineteen said:
Basically, the F block is a series in the periodic table that consist of elements that are artificially synthesized.

Nope. All lanthanides and some actinides are perfectly 'natural'.

My question is, why were these elements synthesized? What was the need of synthesizing such elements?

I am with Ophiolite on this one.

Borek said:
Nope. All lanthanides and some actinides are perfectly 'natural'.
My research is on Lanthanides and to very slightly correct Borek's statement, Promethium (Pm), the 5th element in the lanthanide series, is naturally unavailable. It can only be artificially synthesized and is radioactive.

nineteen said:
Basically, the F block is a series in the periodic table that consist of elements that are artificially synthesized. My question is, why were these elements synthesized? What was the need of synthesizing such elements?
By the way, look up to the ceiling in some building. If you see a fluorescent lamp or LED lamp, the chance is, there are f-block elements in it. Specifically, Ce, Eu, and Tb for fluorescent lamps, and Ce for LED lamps. (Just to note that these days, there are increasingly more "warm" fluorescent lamps and LED lamps, which the composing elements are different.) If you have a cellphone or iphone or whatever phone with a camera, there's a little yellowish device next to it that you can use it for flashlight. Most likely, it is made out of Ce:YAG on a blue emitting diode.

If I recall correctly, smoke detectors contain Americium (I forgot the specific isotope), a crucial element for the device to work. There are also depleted Uranium ammunition and armor plates. Neodymium is commonly used in lasers and magnets. Gadolinium compounds are used as an imaging agent for MRIs.

Basically, they are used everywhere.

Likes Ygggdrasil, nineteen and Ophiolite
HAYAO said:
My research is on Lanthanides and to very slightly correct Borek's statement, Promethium (Pm), the 5th element in the lanthanide series, is naturally unavailable. It can only be artificially synthesized and is radioactive.

My bad, completely forgot about it :frown:

nineteen said:
The first non-natural actinide elements where synthesized in the Manhattan atomic bomb project. Namely Plutonium was used in the "Fat man" bomb droped on Nagasaki.

Likes nineteen
HAYAO said:
My research is on Lanthanides and to very slightly correct Borek's statement, Promethium (Pm), the 5th element in the lanthanide series, is naturally unavailable. It can only be artificially synthesized and is radioactive.By the way, look up to the ceiling in some building. If you see a fluorescent lamp or LED lamp, the chance is, there are f-block elements in it. Specifically, Ce, Eu, and Tb for fluorescent lamps, and Ce for LED lamps. (Just to note that these days, there are increasingly more "warm" fluorescent lamps and LED lamps, which the composing elements are different.) If you have a cellphone or iphone or whatever phone with a camera, there's a little yellowish device next to it that you can use it for flashlight. Most likely, it is made out of Ce:YAG on a blue emitting diode.

If I recall correctly, smoke detectors contain Americium (I forgot the specific isotope), a crucial element for the device to work. There are also depleted Uranium ammunition and armor plates. Neodymium is commonly used in lasers and magnets. Gadolinium compounds are used as an imaging agent for MRIs.

Basically, they are used everywhere.
Wow! Thank you so much for the information. Your comment is very helpful thank you again.

DrDu said:
The first non-natural actinide elements where synthesized in the Manhattan atomic bomb project. Namely Plutonium was used in the "Fat man" bomb droped on Nagasaki.
Thank you for commenting, it is very informative.

Fun factoid: four of the lanthanides are named after the same town in Sweden, the location of the mine that produced the ores from which they were first discovered.

747px-ASM_ytterbymine.jpg

(source: Wikipedia)

Attachments

• 747px-ASM_ytterbymine.jpg
    747px-ASM_ytterbymine.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 685
Likes BillTre, nineteen and HAYAO
jtbell said:
Fun factoid: four of the lanthanides are named after the same town in Sweden, the location of the mine that produced the ores from which they were first discovered.

(Pic here)

(source: Wikipedia)

And because these minerals contained rather low content of lanthanide ions and was also difficult to separate each other due to similar chemical properties, they were named "rare-earth" (lanthanides + scandium and yttrium). This is a very misleading name because rare-earth elements are rather plentiful in Earth's crust.Fun fact: "Rare-Earth's" in Japanese is "希土類 (kidorui)", however it used to be written "稀土類 (also read kidorui)". The first letter of the latter form literally only means "rare". However, it was changed later into the first letter of the former form, which can mean "rare", "hope", or "noble". I am speculating that this is because they realized the importance of these elements after their properties were studied.

(Note to moderators: I believe using foreign language was appropriate in this case.)

Likes BillTre, nineteen and DrDu
Further to the etymological point. At the time the term 'rare earth' was coined, 'earth' was sometimes used as a synonym for an oxide, which was the form in which most (well, some... i think the historical issue may be a bit muddled, or maybe it is just my recollection that is) rare Earth's (at the time) were found. Just one of those quirky linguistic things.

diogenesNY

Likes BillTre

1. Why is the F block of the periodic table called the "lanthanides and actinides"?

The F block of the periodic table is called the "lanthanides and actinides" because it contains two series of elements: the lanthanide series (also known as the rare earth elements) and the actinide series. These series are named after the first elements in each series, lanthanum and actinium, respectively.

2. What are the characteristics of elements in the F block?

Elements in the F block have similar properties, such as high melting and boiling points, high densities, and the ability to form colorful compounds. They also have very similar electron configurations, with the outermost electrons occupying the f orbitals.

3. Why were the elements in the F block placed at the bottom of the periodic table?

The elements in the F block were placed at the bottom of the periodic table to conserve space and make it easier to read. Placing them in a separate row at the bottom also allows for the periodic table to maintain its rectangular shape.

4. When were the elements in the F block discovered?

The elements in the F block were discovered between the late 18th and early 20th centuries. The lanthanides were discovered in the late 1700s and early 1800s, while the actinides were discovered in the early 1900s.

5. Why are the elements in the F block often referred to as "inner transition metals"?

The elements in the F block are often referred to as "inner transition metals" because they have properties that are similar to both the transition metals and the nonmetals. They are also located within the transition metals in the periodic table, making them "inner" transition metals.