Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why wasn't my post counted?

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    I noticed a couple of times during the last few days that whenever I posted a reply to a thread it did not get counted. This might seem to be a pretty trivial problem. But does anyone know the reason why this happens?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2
    The general discussion forum doesn't increment your post count. We try to have it be a loose measurement of meaningful discussion. Not that there isn't meaningful discussion in GD, but you know...

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no need to beat around the bush, Greg. :biggrin:

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends upon how you define "meaningful." :biggrin:

Can you change the color of the font on the announcement in GD about the post counts, or, well, anything that might help people see what's apparently hidden in plain view? A lot of people have been asking the same question lately.

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is it really important the # of posts? (easy for me to say :wink:) Shouldn't the content,quality,relevance and usefulness for the reader prevail?

Daniel.

7. Apr 12, 2005 #6

Gza

You pretty much said it all right there, dex. People need to stop complaining about not having their posts count. Last time i checked, there wasn't a prize for highest post count (great, next time i check, there'll be a little ribbon reading "highest posts" next to Dex's avatar, .) :biggrin:

8. Apr 12, 2005 #7
    OK! So...trivial postings in GD [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] zero post count...:biggrin:

Now I don't know how to define 'trivial' :wink:

9. Apr 12, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No ribbon,Russ is well ahead :uhh: Anyway,it realy doesn't matter.Plus that it's provisional...It could change really easily.

Daniel.

10. Apr 12, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, it really doesn't matter, but since there's a post count there for everyone to see, those who start off in GD get puzzled why their post count stays at 0 for a while. There is that announcement there about it, but it seems to blend into the headers on the page and I don't think they see it...well, I know they don't see it since they keep asking about it.

11. Apr 12, 2005 #10
    Ughh MB, no fun. :biggrin:

Greg, you should make new members pass a pf quiz that goes over the basics of the forum :smile:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  12. Apr 12, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the key questions should be:how many times are u allowed to post a new thread on the same topic...?I know a few who might fail:tongue2:

Daniel.

13. Apr 12, 2005 #12
  14. Apr 12, 2005 #13
    You searched all 365 pages of that?

15. Apr 12, 2005 #14

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A genuine nerd should always care about statistics,numerology and forum post counts.:tongue2: And he should do anything (literally) to satisfy his enoumous need of (useless) knowledge...

Daniel.

16. Apr 12, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: You can sort by post count.

Hey, wait! I'm in the top 30, and with two more posts, I'll tie with Les Sleeth and move into the top 29. :devil: Nevermind what I said, post counts are an incredibly important indicator of status at PF. :rolleyes: :rofl: :tongue2:

17. Apr 12, 2005 #16
    Ahh woops, I thought there would be an option for it. I see it now :smile:

18. Apr 12, 2005 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And you probably have a good quarter million posts in GD...

19. Apr 13, 2005 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: I do sometimes wish I could get a count of posts there, just to be able to quantify how much time I'm really wasting. I'd say I might even surpass your post count if those counted, but with the politics subforum, you'd still give us all a run for our money. :tongue:

20. Apr 13, 2005 #19
    Yuupp, you've heard of those quantity vs. quality posters, right? Post count sure is an important indicator... For instance, somewhere a wee bit over 60 posts must be sign of utter quality.
    :approve: :biggrin: :tongue2:

21. Apr 13, 2005 #20

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear,

The database has 6,446 posts from you, including those in GD and any posts which have subsequently been deleted.

- Warren

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?