Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Why we fight

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1
    I saw this documentary today and it was absolutely mind-blowing. It reminds me a lot of Orwell's 1984. It seems that the government is revealing lesser and lesser to the public and trying to enlarge their power. I cannot fathom why they want to. What comes out of more countries coming under your belt? 'Just' money? What are they trying to accomplish? Please explain to me. I am quite naive when it comes to all this.

Any other points of discussion on this topic welcome.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2
    I am unsure what this documentary is about exactly. Perhaps you could provide us with a synopsis of those points in the documentary that you are interested in. The more particular the better. And if you are aware of anyplace it may be viewed for free (legally) online that would be great as well.

To this point...
    I believe that modern technology has left the government with little control of information flow. I also do not believe that government has been as free with information in the past as you might think. In previous times we were reliant upon the government to release information to us regarding government activity. With the incredible growth in numbers of people with information on government activity, and persons paying attention, as well as the ease of releasing such information to a very wide audience the government can no longer very easily control what happens with that information. The result is that it is not so easy for the government to keep a thing a secret, disperse misinformation, or tell only part of the truth. Any number of people may come forward, anonymously, with information on government activity at any time and out a secret, expose misinformation, or tell the whole truth. Restricting the flow of information and not saying anything unless it needs to be said reduces the likelihood that any discrepancies may arise.

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3
    The title was?

5. Jun 22, 2010 #4
    Here is the documentary for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgDBOuJn9G0&feature=related

6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The synopsys reads like a conspiracy theory:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_We_Fight_(2005_film)

7. Jun 22, 2010 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Watching the first segment of the film, yes, this is conspiracy theory (and propaganda). The idea that a group of Washington power-brokers had been plannig the Iraq war since 1992 is absurd and unsupported by evidence... As is the assertion in the second segment that the atomic bomb drop in Japan was motivated primarily by the desire to demonstrate it to the USSR and the US had been stalling by ignoring Japanese attempts to surrender all summer in order to gain the time needed to finish and drop the bombs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook