Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why we use sh*t

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    instead of simply typing ****! :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    oo, I got the answer!
    but still, doesn't make much sense

4. May 29, 2008 #3
    because they're are so many other four letter words that **** could be

5. May 29, 2008 #4
    oo, initially I didn't type ****; filter did that.

But I wonder why there's even such filter when people use sh*t anyways and it is considered acceptable.

6. May 29, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not always considered acceptable. It's both profane and vague, so it could cause communication problems in at least a couple of ways.

7. May 29, 2008 #6
    It's so that people know which bad word you aren't using. ;-p

8. May 29, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It does make it a wee bit bothersome anytime you need to mention a textbook authored by Lifsh!tz!

9. May 29, 2008 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because, for some strange reason, you think that if the software censor is not actually invoked, then you're not breaking the forum's language rules. Or, maybe, because you are intentionally violating those rules, and wish to thwart the software censor's attempts to obscure it.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  10. May 29, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, for example, one might confuse sh*t with shat, thus making the tense unclear.

11. May 29, 2008 #10
    Be@ts me. I don't run up against this problem.

12. May 29, 2008 #11
    why not just shit?
    or
    Shit

Anyway im far too young to be using thwese words or even understand them. I'm off to wash my mouth out now

13. May 29, 2008 #12
    I use the exclamation mark. I foresee a thread lock in the future, and possibly a banning, but that's just the psychic in me...

14. May 29, 2008 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have done that on several occasions...(So many awkward times I walked into a bathroom in use because of bad censorship.:yuck:)

15. May 30, 2008 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

SHIP
    HIGH
    IN
    TRANSIT

Knowing the history of a word makes it a lot less vulgar. It's obscene that such a word is censored.

16. May 30, 2008 #15

FINALLY i understand

17. May 30, 2008 #16

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I think a 'history of curse words' thread would be educational, but it would be kind of confusing talking about **** vs. **** or the advantages of **** over ****.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?