• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

instead of simply typing ****! :smile:

Answers and Replies

oo, I got the answer!
but still, doesn't make much sense

because they're are so many other four letter words that **** could be

oo, initially I didn't type ****; filter did that.

But I wonder why there's even such filter when people use sh*t anyways and it is considered acceptable.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not always considered acceptable. It's both profane and vague, so it could cause communication problems in at least a couple of ways.

It's so that people know which bad word you aren't using. ;-p

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It does make it a wee bit bothersome anytime you need to mention a textbook authored by Lifsh!tz!

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why we use [deleted for content] ...
Because, for some strange reason, you think that if the software censor is not actually invoked, then you're not breaking the forum's language rules. Or, maybe, because you are intentionally violating those rules, and wish to thwart the software censor's attempts to obscure it.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not always considered acceptable. It's both profane and vague, so it could cause communication problems in at least a couple of ways.
Yes, for example, one might confuse sh*t with shat, thus making the tense unclear.

Be@ts me. I don't run up against this problem.

why not just shit?
or
Shit

Anyway im far too young to be using thwese words or even understand them. I'm off to wash my mouth out now

I use the exclamation mark. I foresee a thread lock in the future, and possibly a banning, but that's just the psychic in me...

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes, for example, one might confuse sh*t with shat, thus making the tense unclear.
I have done that on several occasions...(So many awkward times I walked into a bathroom in use because of bad censorship.:yuck:)

Pythagorean
Gold Member
SHIP
HIGH
IN
TRANSIT

Knowing the history of a word makes it a lot less vulgar. It's obscene that such a word is censored.

SHIP
HIGH
IN
TRANSIT

Knowing the history of a word makes it a lot less vulgar. It's obscene that such a word is censored.

FINALLY i understand

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I think a 'history of curse words' thread would be educational, but it would be kind of confusing talking about **** vs. **** or the advantages of **** over ****.