Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why, why, why?

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I just heard some crap from some people that the movie Avatar is racist.

Why?

Because a white guy was the hero.

Seriously, are we not allowed to have a white guy as the hero anymore? Is the US really that god-damned screwed up? (Pardon the terms) Was it just that we didn't have a race scandal lately, so some black racist had to think of something and threw out Avatar as an excuse to blame Whitey once again? (Note: this sentence typed in a furious rage, and does not represent the true opinion of the poster. I'm not a racist, OK?)

I'm tired of these stupid "racism" comments on movies, music, and innocent people, unless they have some firm basis on FACT!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I just read http://cinemaroll.com/cinemarolling/is-avatar-racist/" [Broken]since you provided no sort of references. Having seen the movie, I never even thought anything like this.

But its funny, white people are pulling the race card now :rofl: What a world.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Dec 27, 2009 #3

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Dec 27, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

I say "wow" to both links. Maybe tomorrow I'll write up a rant that claims Avatar discriminates against Asians.

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Good idea, I'll begin one that claims it discriminates against Native Americans.

Should be easy, what with all the ways any movie can be taken.

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You know, I can see the argument. It's not that the film is racist, it's that it is propagating the image of the backward savage race that needs a hero from the civilized world to swoop in and save them.

I have to admit, when I was watching it, I was rather dismayed to see that, among those very bravest, strongest and cunning Na'vi warriors, it was the alien that was better at everything - from taming their most feared predator, to being the best flyer, to saving their whole tribe.

Poor quaint savages.

8. Dec 27, 2009 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Can't you also see the other argument? This is yet another movie about evil white men who come in to exploit idealized, peaceful savages who are more admirable than any native society on Earth. The sole heroic white man only becomes a hero after he completely assimilates into NaVi society. (His taming of the feared predator was supposed to signify his assimilation, since it was said that only a true NaVi could tame the predator.)

9. Dec 27, 2009 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But that doesn't change the fact that the Na'vi would have perished without the human leading them. And not just once, several times he did what no Na'Vi warrior or leader could do.

10. Dec 27, 2009 #9
    It's damn one movie ...

11. Dec 27, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

is that a good thing? Or what?

:confused:

12. Dec 27, 2009 #11
    I just don't understand why people are so crazy about it and coming up with ridiculous conclusions.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  13. Dec 28, 2009 #12

cronxeh

Gold Member

Who cares if someone cries 'racism'. Deal with it :smile:

14. Dec 28, 2009 #13

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Yes, but if I dare to speak out about nonwhite racism, I will be branded as a racist ... If I do it publicly. So I pick here, an anonymous forum, to rant.

15. Dec 28, 2009 #14
    I can't really think of any element more common to action flicks than the hero who is somehow better than anyone at anything and single handedly saves the day for everyone.

As well the n00b, kid, or outsider who is better at a thing than those with great experience is a rather common story device. Its been done with everything from athletes to Jedi. The use that seems most similar to the movie (I have not seen it so I am only guessing based on descriptions here) is the white man who takes on the ways of the Native American. One might also take a look at Muad'Dib and the Fremen. The general intent of this sort of device is to show some sort of destiny for the character and/or that this thing is at the very core of their being. That they are like these other people even though they are not a part of them (the applicability here to the movie I am again only guessing at). It creates a reconciliation of the general conflict portrayed in the story.

Of course I can see how racists and xenophobes would have trouble with the realization of this sort of theme.

16. Dec 28, 2009 #15
    Why can't we all just get along? -Rodney King

17. Dec 28, 2009 #16

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Simple. There are those among us who cause these race scandals to appear as such, so as to further an agenda. I like to call them "normal Americans".

Yes, that's right. I think this behavior is normal.

18. Dec 28, 2009 #17
    To be honest, I think the reason why someone might think Avatar is racist is because the setting is sort of like Africa. In the jungle, they had an African accent, I at one point said it was racist to Africans just for laughs.

19. Dec 28, 2009 #18
    You're right.. Last time I was in Africa I couldn't stop staring at the floating pieces of land...

20. Dec 28, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Perhaps you should reserve judgement until you've heard them argue their case. I can see the argument, though it won't win everyone. Read the link in Char Limit's Post 3.

21. Dec 28, 2009 #20

cronxeh

Gold Member

This would be a documentary film if Africa had oil.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook