Why Won't the Lightbulb Light Up?

In summary: But for you, I award 10/10 plus a gold star for persevering in the face of such ambiguity. :tongue2:In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of a light bulb not lighting up and the possible reasons for this. The conversation also brought up the possibility of a trick question and the potential danger of a battery exploding. There was also a discussion about the correct way to connect wires from a battery to a light bulb in order to make it light up. The conversation ended with a clarification about the ambiguity in the diagram provided and praise for the student's perseverance.
minimario

Homework Statement

Will the light bulb light up?
WYey4k7.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Why won't it light up? I see a path from the - to the +!

Physics news on Phys.org
minimario said:

Homework Statement

Will the light bulb light up?
WYey4k7.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Why won't it light up? I see a path from the - to the +!
There will be no effective voltage setup across the light.

It's a trick question. Once the battery explodes and catches on fire, there will be nothing to power the light...

@minimario -- Why will the battery explode? (That's a hint for the answer for this question...) :smile:

Likes Nugatory
berkeman said:
It's a trick question. Once the battery explodes and catches on fire, there will be nothing to power the light...

@minimario -- Why will the battery explode? (That's a hint for the answer for this question...) :smile:
why will it explode?

Let the OP answer first. It's his/her schoolwork question... :smile:

:/ idk hard

Draw a simple schematic to represent how the clipleads are connected between the 2 terminals of the battery and the 2 terminals of the light bulb. How should they normally be connected? How are they connected in the drawing?

What you are talking about?

minimario said:
What you are talking about?

Which word did you not understand?

I don't know how they are normally connected :/ (Should be positive to negative, or wat)

minimario said:
I don't know how they are normally connected :/ (Should be positive to negative, or wat)
Are you saying that you don't know how to connect wires from the terminals of a battery to the terminals of a light bulb to make the light bulb light up?

Chet

Connect one to the positive side, and one to the negative side

minimario said:
Connect one to the positive side, and one to the negative side
Excellent. But in your picture, both wires from the battery are connected to the same terminal of the light bulb.

Chet

Why are both wires connected to the same terminal?

minimario said:
Why are both wires connected to the same terminal?
Because, in the scenario for your problem, someone connected them incorrectly. Do you think that, if the wires from the battery were connected in the manner shown in the figure, the light bulb will light?

Chet

berkeman said:
Let the OP answer first. It's his/her schoolwork question... :smile:
PM?

minimario said:
WYey4k7.png
The drawing is unclear, unfortunately. This makes it ambiguous. You (and I) are seeing it differently to how the artist intended.

That's why berkeman set you the task back in post #7 of drawing a couple of sketches: they will help you to arrive at the explanation yourself, without needing to rely on others.

If you go on to study in the sciences this sort of ambiguity will crop up all too often, so you need to develop techniques for acknowledging the different interpretations and deciding which is likely the intended one. It's a little exercise in mind-reading!

Next step, go here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-wont-the-lightbulb-light-up.804904/#post-5052738

NascentOxygen said:
The drawing is unclear, unfortunately. This makes it ambiguous. You (and I) are seeing it differently to how the artist intended.
Really? Where is there ambiguity?

berkeman said:
Draw a simple schematic to represent how the clipleads are connected between the 2 terminals of the battery and the 2 terminals of the light bulb. How should they normally be connected? How are they connected in the drawing?

+1 to that.

Aceix said:
PM?

Done! :smile:

DaveC426913 said:
Really? Where is there ambiguity?
When I looked at the pencil sketch, I saw two wires headed for a light bulb. One of the wires has been extended by clipping it to a third wire so it's long enough to reach the bulb's far terminal.

I gathered that the bulb is not glowing, yet it's expected to. Rusty clips? Bulb not screwed fully in? Filament blown? Wire not electrically bonded to clips? Etc.

The crucial confused connection is cunningly colour camouflaged! ?:) Light yellow on a paper-white background does not for a clear image make.

Likes minimario
NascentOxygen said:
When I looked at the pencil sketch, I saw two wires headed for a light bulb. One of the wires has been extended by clipping it to a third wire so it's long enough to reach the bulb's far terminal.
The crucial confused connection is cunningly colour camouflaged! ?:) Light yellow on a paper-white background does not for a clear image make.

Curioser and curioser. I see no pencil sketch. I see a realistic, CG diagram. It has three yellow wires.

I was going to guess that the original image in post #1 was updated after you examined it, but post 1 and its diagram are quoted in post 2, so, unless someone updated BOTH post images, that doesn't make sense.

DaveC426913 said:
Curioser and curioser. I see no pencil sketch. I see a realistic, CG diagram. It has three yellow wires.

I was going to guess that the original image in post #1 was updated after you examined it, but post 1 and its diagram are quoted in post 2, so, unless someone updated BOTH post images, that doesn't make sense.
It's an example of those cases where I'm tempted to grade the examiner, rather than the hapess student facing this poor excuse for a diagram.

For this artist, I give his clumsy effort 2/10, must do better next time.

1. Why isn't my lightbulb turning on?

There could be several reasons why your lightbulb isn't turning on. It could be a problem with the electrical circuit, a faulty socket, or a burnt out bulb. It's best to check these things first before assuming there is a larger issue.

2. Can a lightbulb simply stop working without any warning?

Yes, lightbulbs can sometimes stop working without any warning. This is usually due to a filament inside the bulb burning out, or a faulty connection. However, if you notice multiple bulbs in your home frequently burning out, it could be a sign of a larger electrical issue.

3. How can I tell if my lightbulb is burnt out?

The most obvious sign of a burnt out lightbulb is when it doesn't turn on. However, you can also check the filament inside the bulb. If it appears broken or discolored, it is likely burnt out. You can also try replacing the bulb with a new one to see if that solves the issue.

4. Can using the wrong wattage bulb cause it not to turn on?

Yes, using a lightbulb with the wrong wattage can cause it not to turn on. This is because the wattage determines the amount of electricity needed to power the bulb. Using a bulb with a higher wattage than recommended can cause it to burn out quickly, while using a lower wattage can cause it not to turn on at all.

5. What should I do if my lightbulb still won't turn on after trying different solutions?

If you have tried different solutions such as replacing the bulb, checking the circuit and socket, and using the correct wattage, and the light still won't turn on, it could be a sign of a larger electrical issue. It's best to consult a professional electrician to properly diagnose and fix the problem.