Why would someone feel lonely?

• Thread starter beanryu
  • Start date
In summary, loneliness is a feeling of discomfort and dissatisfaction that arises from being alone for extended periods of time, which goes against our nature as social animals. It can also be influenced by fears and psychological issues. However, this feeling can be alleviated through social interaction.
beanryu
Since you people are so smart, can you tell me what is loneliness, or why would someone feel lonely?
I don't know why, sometimes at night, after listening to some "emotional provoking" music, I would feel lonely, and would suddenly want to have a girl to be next to me right at that instance. Why would I feel lonely?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there are 2 possibilities here:
1) are you thinking of being with just any girl? If so, you're lonely (perhaps just er.. horny)
2) are you thinking of a particular girl? If so, you aren't necessarily lonely, you're just in love.

If you accept that humans are social animals, then being alone (for extended periods of time), then that human would feel uncomfortable. If you accept that humans are hardwired to interact with each other, then having only 4 walls to interact with will seem unnatural and dissatisfying. We aren't barnacles after all (most of us anyhow). Feeling lonely can also have to do with fears or other psychological issues. I guess it depends on what social interaction does for a person and why it does that. What does it do for you?

mood change so quick... i am not feeling lonely now... because tomorrow is SATURDAY!

On the internet, no one knows you are a barnacle.

1. Why do some people feel lonely?

People can feel lonely for a variety of reasons. Some common factors that contribute to loneliness include social isolation, lack of meaningful relationships, feeling misunderstood or different from others, and experiencing major life changes or transitions.

2. Is loneliness a mental health issue?

Loneliness can be a symptom of various mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety, and social anxiety disorder. However, feeling lonely does not necessarily mean a person has a mental health disorder. It is important to seek professional help if loneliness is impacting daily life and well-being.

3. Can loneliness be genetic?

There is some evidence that genetics may play a role in a person's susceptibility to loneliness. People with a family history of mental health issues or those who have certain genetic variations may be more prone to feeling lonely. However, environmental and social factors also play a significant role.

4. Can technology contribute to loneliness?

While technology can provide a means of connecting with others, it can also contribute to feelings of loneliness. Social media, in particular, can create a false sense of connection and comparison, leading to feelings of inadequacy and isolation. Additionally, relying heavily on technology for communication may lead to fewer in-person interactions and deeper connections.

5. How can loneliness be managed?

There are various ways to manage and cope with feelings of loneliness. Building and nurturing meaningful relationships, engaging in social activities, seeking therapy, and practicing self-care can all help combat loneliness. It is also important to address any underlying mental health issues that may be contributing to feelings of loneliness.