Why would you NOT date a nonintellectual?

• Thread starter Rainbow Rider
  • Start date
In summary: I ended up marrying a brilliant and beautiful engineer about to start grad school in the Harvard-MIT Medical Engineering/Medical Physics Program.A lot of these threads confuse intellect with meanness as if one has to have a lower IQ just to be nice.My wife is one of the kindest people I know and my true soulmate. The brilliant thing is just gravy, but there is a lot of gravy ...In summary, Dr. Courtney's wife is one of the kindest people he knows and the brilliant thing is just gravy.
Rainbow Rider
just curious!

Rainbow Rider

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Because "an" intellectual will be forever correcting your grammar.

Likes cronxeh, Mark44, Stephanus and 1 other person
Bystander said:
Regardless of my position on the unintellectual or intellectual scale that would not bother me at all actually I would welcome constructive criticism of ANY kind, I repeat, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Last edited:
Bystander said:

If you are correcting my "a" for "an" in the thread title, I thank you. May I ask if you are one of "those" who will NOT date a so called nonintellectual?

Beg pardon --- would have sworn the original text was, " a intellectual," and cannot recover what was in the "unanswered posts" list to support such a claim, nor the basis for the response.

Bystander said:
Beg pardon --- would have sworn the original text was, " a intellectual," and cannot recover what was in the "unanswered posts" list to support such a claim, nor the basis for the response.
Say what?

Sorry Bystander, you lost me here...but I stay dazed, confused and always finding my way to the Rainbow.

I apologize if I offended you, that was not my intention. I think i misunderstood what you posted.

Last edited:
Can't think of any reason.

Likes Rainbow Rider
I dated lots of girls in high school and college. I think the intellectual spectrum was well represented.

I ended up marrying a brilliant and beautiful engineer about to start grad school in the Harvard-MIT Medical Engineering/Medical Physics Program.

A lot of these threads confuse intellect with meanness as if one has to have a lower IQ just to be nice.

My wife is one of the kindest people I know and my true soulmate. The brilliant thing is just gravy, but there is a lot of gravy ...

Dr. Courtney said:
I dated lots of girls in high school and college. I think the intellectual spectrum was well represented.

I ended up marrying a brilliant and beautiful engineer about to start grad school in the Harvard-MIT Medical Engineering/Medical Physics Program.

A lot of these threads confuse intellect with meanness as if one has to have a lower IQ just to be nice.

My wife is one of the kindest people I know and my true soulmate. The brilliant thing is just gravy, but there is a lot of gravy ...
Your perspective is appreciated.

There is always something amusing about guys discussing what type of girl they would or would not date. A hot gal could emerge from a dumpster and we'd all have our brains scrambled and falling over each other to help her out.

Hint...I'm much older than most here. All the rational thought breaks down. A good looking gal gives us that 'come hither' look and we are powerless.

I agree that the brilliant thing is just gravy.

'No, I wouldn't date Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie). She isn't an intellectual'. That statement disproves multiverse theory because all things (such as that statement) are not possible.

Dr. Courtney said:

I completely agree with the perspective that Dr. Courtney provides here; I find it quite amusing that intellect and kindness/personality are somehow conflicting character traits. I am in a relationship is very much a brilliant intellectual, and who is also a beautiful and kind woman with a great sense of humour.

Bystander said:
That's one of my weekness. I can't keep from correcting.

Being either intellectual or what you would consider nonintellectual is a matter of perception. But to answer the question for practical purposes I would say intellectual incompatibility.

Bystander said:
The thread title is "Why would you NOT date a nonintellectual?"

gjonesy said:
Being either intellectual or what you would consider nonintellectual is a matter of perception. But to answer the question for practical purposes I would say intellectual incompatibility.

You're possibly thinking of the original thread of which this is a parody?

Pythagorean said:
You're possibly thinking of the original thread of which this is a parody?

Actually I was playing devil's advocate by stating the obvious. (Intellectuals wouldn't have much in common with nonintellectuals as far as conversations go maybe)

That in no way implies intelligent people couldn't date someone who isn't as intelligent. Plenty of basic commonality within the human species that other qualities can be just as valuable in a partner. I would and actually do date what many of you would consider an "nonintellectual". But she is smart sensitive, and fun. She has far to many great qualities to list here. So what if we can't have meaningful conversations about science. I don't really care,...we have so many other things in life to concern ourselves with.

Likes Pythagorean
gjonesy said:
Actually I was playing devil's advocate by stating the obvious. (Intellectuals wouldn't have much in common with nonintellectuals as far as conversations go maybe)

That in no way implies intelligent people couldn't date someone who isn't as intelligent. Plenty of basic commonality within the human species that other qualities can be just as valuable in a partner.I would and actually do date what many of you would consider an "nonintellectual". But she is smart sensitive, and fun. She has far to many great qualities to list here. So what if we can't have meaningful conversations about science. I don't really care,...we have so many other things in life to concern ourselves with.

I agree with your perspective. I have a handful of partners - if I were so picky, I'd only have one.

Likes gjonesy
Pythagorean said:
I agree with your perspective. I have a handful of partners - if I were so picky, I'd only have one[/QUOTE

Variety is the spice of life :smile:

intellectual ?

[PLAIN said:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intellect][/PLAIN]
Full Definition of intellect
1 a : the power of knowing as distinguished from the power to feel and to will : the capacity for knowledge
b
: the capacity for rational or intelligent thought especially when highly developed

We confuse intellect with education sometimes.
Takes some time to sort it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes gjonesy and needing
jim hardy said:
We confuse intellect with education sometimes.
Takes some time to sort it out.
I totally agree. My ex-sister-in-law has a PHD in library science. But has zero "common sense" . Small practical problems with very simple solutions would sometimes baffle this otherwise highly intellectual person.
It was very comical at times.

Why? I like to feel smart, that's why. No need to feel dumb all the time.

Why would you NOT date a nonintellectual?
Uhm...because the nonintellectual don't know how to date or be dated.

1. Why is intelligence important in a partner?

Intelligence is important in a partner because it allows for deeper and more meaningful conversations, shared interests, and similar problem-solving abilities. It can also lead to a stronger emotional connection and a more fulfilling relationship.

2. Is it fair to judge someone based on their intelligence?

It is not fair to judge someone solely based on their intelligence. However, it is important to have a partner who is intellectually stimulating and can engage in thoughtful discussions with you. It is also important to recognize that intelligence comes in many forms and should not be limited to traditional academic measures.

3. Can a relationship work if one person is highly intellectual and the other is not?

Yes, a relationship can work if one person is highly intellectual and the other is not. What matters most is mutual respect, understanding, and open communication. Both partners can learn from each other and grow together, as long as there is a willingness to do so.

4. How do you determine someone's intelligence in a dating context?

It can be challenging to determine someone's intelligence in a dating context as it is a complex and multifaceted trait. Some ways to gauge intelligence may include observing their communication skills, problem-solving abilities, and interests. However, it is important to remember that these are just indicators and do not define someone's entire intellectual capacity.

5. Are there any potential downsides to dating someone who is highly intellectual?

While there can be many benefits to dating someone who is highly intellectual, there may also be some potential downsides. These can include feeling intimidated or inferior, difficulty in finding common ground, and potential differences in values or communication styles. It is important to address these potential issues and communicate openly with your partner to ensure a healthy and fulfilling relationship.