Can Nanoscale Vibrations Affect Particle Positioning?

• Thread starter jeberd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the video clip shows salt being positioned on a vibrating substrate. Shrinking the particles to 10nm and spacing them 100nm apart would potentially cause problems due to the unchanged vibrational nodes of the plate. The frequency would also need to be scaled up to force the nodes together. It is unknown what the effect of this change would be. The article "Ultimate limits to inertial mass sensing based upon nanoelectromechanical systems" could provide more insight on this topic.
jeberd
First watch the video clip below of salt being positioned on a vibrating substrate...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9GBf8y0lY0"

...Then tell me why you think that this wouldn't work if I shrunk everything down so that the particles being used were ~10nm diameter and the spacings were ~100nm between features. I am hoping that it will, but I want to see where others foresee problems arising.

EDIT: and the frequency increased proportionally

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The vibrational nodes of the plate wouldn't change, so the relative scale would be totally trashed. I'm not sure what the effect of that would be. In order to change the nodes, you would also have to change the physical composition of the plate. Again, the effect is unknown (to me).

@Danger: Sorry, The frequency would also be scaled up to force the nodes together

[Double Post]If you think that it does work, leave a quick comment attesting so, please. Also, the video is somewhat interesting in of itself, so even if you don't want to help me out, you might get some entertainment from it.

Thanks.

I've actually seen that video before, and I agree that it's really neat to watch. As for wanting to help you... I wish that I could. Unfortunately, I just don't know anything about it. My first response was just a shot in the dark to let you know that your presence is welcome. :smile:

Why wouldn't this work?

There could be a variety of reasons why an experiment or hypothesis may not work. Some common questions include:

1. Are there any flaws in the experimental design?

It is possible that the experimental design is flawed or does not adequately test the hypothesis. This could include issues with sample size, control variables, or the choice of methodology.

2. Are there any external factors influencing the results?

Sometimes, external factors such as environmental conditions or human error can affect the outcome of an experiment. It is important to control for these factors and replicate the experiment to ensure accuracy.

3. Are the results statistically significant?

Statistical significance is an important factor in determining the validity of an experiment. If the results are not statistically significant, it may be due to chance rather than the hypothesis being incorrect.

4. Are there any confounding variables?

Confounding variables are factors that may affect the results of an experiment but are not accounted for in the study. These variables can lead to incorrect conclusions and should be identified and controlled for.

5. Is the hypothesis supported by the evidence?

Ultimately, the success of an experiment or hypothesis depends on whether the evidence supports it. If the data does not align with the expected results, it may be necessary to revise the hypothesis or conduct further experiments.