Unraveling the Mystery of Non-45 Degree Slopes

In summary, the patterns for calculating velocity and potential energy in terms of time and displacement, respectively, involve calculus and the slope of the graph. The area under the graph, whether it is a triangle or not, represents the value of the equation, and does not depend on the slope being 45 degrees.
JFS321
Hi all,

I notice the patterns such as v = 0.5at^2 and PE(spring)=0.5kx^2, etc...but, all examples I have seen show the slope (acceleration, or the spring constant, k) as being a 45 degree angle. Thus, the area of the triangle underneath the graph makes good sense (x^2 or t^2).

But, let's say we have an example where the spring constant is much larger or much smaller. Why is x^2 still valid as the base x height, if the two are not equal values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I'm just tired, but I'm really confused about your question. So that people don't start answering every question except what you meant, would you mind clarifying? (also, x, not v in your first one)
What do you mean a or k is a 45 degree angle?
I'm guessing that the answer you are looking for is going involve integration. What level of math are you comfortable with?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm evidently tired too.

I have it answered. All it took was writing PE = 0.5 k(x) times x. I couldn't intuitively see the x^2 mentally.

JFS321 said:
Hi all,

I notice the patterns such as v = 0.5at^2 and PE(spring)=0.5kx^2, etc...but, all examples I have seen show the slope (acceleration, or the spring constant, k) as being a 45 degree angle. Thus, the area of the triangle underneath the graph makes good sense (x^2 or t^2).

But, let's say we have an example where the spring constant is much larger or much smaller. Why is x^2 still valid as the base x height, if the two are not equal values?

Those terms come from calculus derivations. Are you familiar yet with differential and integral calculus?

JFS321 said:
Hi all,

I notice the patterns such as v = 0.5at^2
that is s = 1/2at^2
(and PE(spring)=0.5kx^2, etc...but, all examples I have seen show the slope (acceleration, or the spring constant, k) as being a 45 degree angle.
when you plot v vs.t, and the acceleration is constant, then you have a linear equation v = at, and the slope of the line is the acceleration. Thus, the area of the triangle underneath the graph is 1/2 at^2. Or since F=kx, the slope of the line is k. and the PE is 1/2kx^2. But the slope is not always 45 degress, it could be much higher , say 60 degrees , but the area under the curve (straight line) is still the same, the area of the triangle.
Tey don't have to be equal. The area of the triangle is still 1/2kx^2 for the spring PE case, whether k is 1 (straight line graph for f = kx, k=1, 45 degree slope, or k is greater than 1 (higher slope and thus greater angle) or less than 1, (less steep slope , angle less than 45 degrees).

What is a non-45 degree slope?

A non-45 degree slope is a slope that does not have an angle of 45 degrees. In other words, it is any slope that is not a diagonal line on a graph.

Why is it important to unravel the mystery of non-45 degree slopes?

Understanding non-45 degree slopes is important because they are commonly found in real-world situations and can provide valuable information about the relationships between different variables.

How do you calculate the slope of a non-45 degree slope?

The slope of a non-45 degree slope can be calculated by finding the change in vertical distance (rise) divided by the change in horizontal distance (run) between two points on the slope. This is known as the rise over run formula.

What factors can affect the slope of a non-45 degree slope?

The slope of a non-45 degree slope can be affected by various factors such as the steepness of the slope, the direction of the slope, and the units used to measure the slope.

How can understanding non-45 degree slopes be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding non-45 degree slopes can be applied in many fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in analyzing data, making predictions, and solving practical problems that involve relationships between variables.