Why Is Staring Considered Rude?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about staring at other people and the reasons why one shouldn't do it. One person admits to being drawn to a man's t-shirt and another talks about their rule to not date someone who can't maintain eye contact. The topic then shifts to whether or not the man was staring at a woman's shoes or down her shirt. Eventually, it is revealed that the person no longer dates and doesn't pay attention to what is happening around them.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Why you shouldn't stare...

Because somebody might notice

http://myfiles.dyndns.org/pictures/snlusher.jpg

I can't judge him. I'd probably do the same thing :biggrin:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
They show, I stare.

Actually, I'm too meek and timid and sensitive to stare.

What A Pair Of Hooters!

Actually I have to admit I was drawn to that guy's t-shirt first... its very green isn't it??

Men are so predictable. :rolleyes: (except for you son, yes, it is a VERY green shirt)

I had a rule to never to go out on a date with a guy that couldn't maintain eye contact with me.

He could've made it less obvious.

Actually i thought the sunglasses were a decent enough cover but maybe he was wearing them cos of the glowing green...

The_Professional said:
He could've made it less obvious.

Or more noticeable.

Evo said:
I had a rule to never...
'Had'? Meaning you don't anymore? Interesting... :biggrin:

rathma said:
'Had'? Meaning you don't anymore? Interesting... :biggrin:
I guess I need to explain that huh? I don't date anymore. I haven't been on a date in 6 years. I just got tired of it.

Last edited:
Hahaha. I never stare at girls eyes or anyone eyes when I talk to them... I just usual talk w/o noticing much of wtf is happening actually...

:cool: Is the dude natural or gratuitous?

What? He was just looking at her shoes. (Of course he was trying to see them down her shirt, past her belt and down her pant leg.) :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin:

He was looking at a spider near the green shirt guy's foot :wink:

Last edited:

1. Why is it bad to stare at someone or something?

Staring can make people feel uncomfortable, self-conscious, and even threatened. It can also be seen as rude or invasive of someone's privacy.

2. Can staring cause any physical harm?

No, staring itself does not cause physical harm. However, it can lead to tension or confrontation which may result in physical harm.

3. Is it okay to stare at animals or objects?

Staring at animals or objects is generally harmless, but it is still important to respect boundaries and not make others feel uncomfortable. Additionally, staring at certain objects or bright lights for a long period of time can strain your eyes.

4. Why do people sometimes stare unconsciously?

Staring unconsciously can be a result of daydreaming or being lost in thought. It can also be a habit or a sign of social anxiety.

5. How can I stop myself from staring?

If you catch yourself staring, try to redirect your gaze or shift your focus to something else. It's also helpful to be aware of your surroundings and respect others' personal space.