Wick contraction for same indices (Zee, "QFT in a Nutshell")

Your Name] In summary, the conversation discusses a question about Wick contractions in the context of evaluating a four-point Green's function in quantum field theory. The formula provided in Zee's book is examined, and it is explained that contractions can only be made between variables in the same term. This is why there is only one possible contraction in the term ∼λ.
rob_dd
Hey,

I thought I understood Wick contractions but a formula in Zee's "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" disproved me:

In the section on Feynman Diagrams it is tried to evaluate the "four-point Green's function" in (I.7.10) by the integral $$
\int_{-\infty}^\infty \left ( \prod_m \mathrm{d} q_m \right ) e^{-\frac{1}{2} q \cdot A \cdot q} q_i q_j q_k q_l \left [ 1 - \frac{\lambda}{4!} \sum_n q_n^4 + O(\lambda^2) \right ] / Z(0,0)
$$
which is said to be
$$ (A^{-1})_{ij} (A^{-1})_{kl} + (A^{-1})_{ik} (A^{-1})_{jl} + (A^{-1})_{il} (A^{-1})_{jk} - \lambda \sum_n (A^{-1})_{in} (A^{-1})_{jn} (A^{-1})_{kn} (A^{-1})_{ln} + O(\lambda^2)$$

My question is: In the term ## \sim \lambda ## why can't I make contractions like ij kl nn nn ? It seems to be impossible that i make connections nn or at least this term should be zero (?). But in the previous text in this book such connections were calculated and also in the derivation this should be possible I think. Another explanation would be that the diagonal elements of A vanish but I could not explain why.

Thank you for any help,
Robin

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Robin,

Thank you for your question. Wick contractions can be a tricky concept, and it's not uncommon for people to have difficulties understanding them at first. Let me try to clarify things for you.

In the expression given in Zee's book, the four-point Green's function is written as a sum of terms, each containing four momentum variables (q_i, q_j, q_k, q_l). Each of these four variables can be contracted with each other, as long as they are in the same term. For example, in the first term of the expression, we have q_i and q_j, which can be contracted with each other. Similarly, in the second term, we have q_i and q_k, which can also be contracted with each other. However, in the third term, we have q_i and q_l, which cannot be contracted with each other because they are not in the same term.

Now, coming to your question about the term ∼λ, let's look at the expression (A^-1)_{in}(A^-1)_{jn}(A^-1)_{kn}(A^-1)_{ln}. Here, we have four different variables, i, j, k, l, and n. We can make contractions between any two of these variables, as long as they are in the same term. For example, we can contract i with n, j with n, k with n, or l with n. However, we cannot contract i with j, i with k, i with l, j with k, j with l, or k with l because they are not in the same term. Therefore, the only possible contractions are in the form of nn, which gives us (A^-1)_{nn}(A^-1)_{nn}(A^-1)_{nn}(A^-1)_{nn}. This is why we have only one term in the ∼λ part of the expression.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is Wick contraction in quantum field theory?

Wick contraction is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify calculations involving creation and annihilation operators. It involves pairing up these operators in a specific way to eliminate terms that would otherwise contribute to the overall calculation.

2. How is Wick contraction performed?

Wick contraction is performed by pairing up creation and annihilation operators according to a specific set of rules. These rules involve identifying operators with the same indices and then replacing them with their corresponding propagator.

3. What is the purpose of Wick contraction?

The purpose of Wick contraction is to simplify calculations in quantum field theory by eliminating terms that would otherwise contribute to the overall calculation. This allows for more efficient and manageable calculations, particularly in perturbative expansions.

4. Can Wick contraction be applied to any quantum field theory?

Yes, Wick contraction is a general technique that can be applied to any quantum field theory. However, the specific rules for performing Wick contraction may vary depending on the particular theory being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wick contraction?

While Wick contraction can greatly simplify calculations in quantum field theory, it is not always applicable. In certain cases, the mathematical expressions generated by Wick contraction may not accurately represent physical phenomena, and alternative methods must be used.