How can I measure black line width using a robot and QRB1134 sensor?

• Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Width
In summary, you need to measure the width of a black line with a robot using a sensor, PWM, and a microcontroller.
brad sue
Hi,
I would like to measure black line width (width of 0.5 inch)with a robot.
I don't know how to do it.
I use a QRB1134 sensor and the Analog/digital converter.
please can someone guide me on the procedure for this please?
C.

Engineering news on Phys.org
brad sue said:
Hi,
I would like to measure black line width (width of 0.5 inch)with a robot.
I don't know how to do it.
I use a QRB1134 sensor and the Analog/digital converter.
please can someone guide me on the procedure for this please?
C.

Your question is kind of vague. You mention a robot -- what are its capabilities? You mention a sensor -- what kind of sensor is it? You mention an ADC, but no mention of a microcontroller (uC) or any other circuitry for operating the ADC and getting results out of it. What is your level of expertise with these things (robots, ADCs, uCs)? Are you actually building this, or just doing a paper design? What course is this for (what year)?

berkeman said:
Your question is kind of vague. You mention a robot -- what are its capabilities? You mention a sensor -- what kind of sensor is it? You mention an ADC, but no mention of a microcontroller (uC) or any other circuitry for operating the ADC and getting results out of it. What is your level of expertise with these things (robots, ADCs, uCs)? Are you actually building this, or just doing a paper design? What course is this for (what year)?

Sorry about that!
So far the robot is just running according certain command : turn left , right etc.. The motor speeds are controlled via the pulse width modulation (PWM).
The sensor is the QRB1134. It is a photo transistor.

The MCU I used is the freescale MC9S1C32 and it has a ADC integrated. so I have no more circuitry to add but connecting the line sensor and a pull up resistor. I have worked with the ADC before but not much.

To measure the width of a black line , I think I need to compute the speed of the robot and the time the robot runs 0.5 inch. Do you think I must calculate the speed or just use the PWM?
If not how to have a precise value of the speed?

Thank you

You can do some experiments to see if you can correlate the PWM percentage with robot speed to within whatever your target accuracy is. Be sure that the robot is up to speed before running over the line, however.

Alternately, you could put another opto sensor on a wheel rim, and put little lines on the rim that you can count at the same time you are running over the black line...

1. What is the significance of the width of a black line on a robot?

The width of a black line on a robot is important because it determines the accuracy and precision of the robot's movement. A wider line allows for more room for error in the robot's navigation, while a thinner line requires the robot to be more precise in following the line.

2. How does the width of a black line affect the speed of a robot?

The width of a black line can impact the speed of a robot in two ways. If the line is wider, the robot may need to slow down in order to accurately follow it. On the other hand, a thinner line may allow the robot to move at a faster pace, as it requires less precision. However, the overall speed of a robot is also influenced by other factors such as its motor and programming.

3. Does the width of a black line affect the type of sensors a robot needs?

Yes, the width of a black line can impact the type of sensors a robot needs. For example, a wider line may require a sensor with a larger detection range, while a thinner line may require a sensor with a higher resolution. It is important to choose the appropriate sensors based on the width of the line in order for the robot to accurately follow it.

4. Can the width of a black line vary depending on the surface it is drawn on?

Yes, the width of a black line can vary depending on the surface it is drawn on. For example, a line drawn on a smooth surface may appear thinner than a line drawn on a rough surface. This can impact the accuracy of the robot's movement and may require adjustments to its sensors or programming.

5. How can the width of a black line be measured on a robot?

The width of a black line on a robot can be measured using a ruler or caliper. Simply place the measuring tool on the line and record the measurement. It is important to measure multiple points along the line as it may not be consistent throughout. Alternatively, the robot's sensors can also be used to measure the width of the line as it follows it.