1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width of a Wigner-Seitz cell

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Treating Sodium (Na, bcc, a= 4.23 Angstrom) as a free electron metal with a single valence electron per atom, calc. the Fermi wave vector and compare with the distance to the Brillouine zone boundary closest to the origin.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have obtained the Fermi wave vector via

[tex](4/3)\pi k_{F}^{3} = (N/L)(2\pi/L)^{3}[/tex]

and obtain 0.92 inverse Angstrom.

For the Brill. zone, I understand that this must be constructed from the reciprocal lattice, and I have found (using [tex]a_{1}^{*} = (2\pi/V)(a_{2} \times a_{3})[/tex] that this gives an fcc set of lattice vectors (but perhaps this move was unnecessary?).

I have been given the hint that [tex]|a^{*}| = 4\pi / a[/tex], but when I determine the magnitude of my [tex]a_{1}^{*}[/tex] I find it to be a factor of root 2 less than this.

Is there some simple formula that is being used here to decide what the lattice width must be for this Wigner-Seitz cell? Should I think of the 'origin' as being at the centre of this cell. I'm not sure what it is I should be doing in order to 'compare with the distance to the Brillouine zone boundary closest to the origin'.

Cheers.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?