1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width of Finite Potential Well

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    For an electron in a certain rectangular well with a depth of 20.0 eV, the lowest
    energy level lies 3.00 eV above the bottom of the well. Find the width of this well. Hint: Use tan theta = sin theta/cos theta.

Equation for energy levels in a rectangular well: (2E-V0)sin[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar] = 2(V0E-E^2)^(1/2)cos[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar]

I have attempted this problem multiple ways, and I have done similar problems giving me correct results. The simplified equation I typically use for this type of problem is derrived from the energy levels in a rectangular well equation. It is:

tan((L*(2mE)^(1/2))/(2*hbar)) = ((V0-E)/E)^(1/2)

where I can solve for L with everything else known. I converted the energies to J using 1 eV = 1.6E-19 J, the mass of electron = 9.11E-31 kg, and hbar = 1.05E-34 Js. The right hand of the equation = 51^(1/2)/3, and then inverse tan of that is 1.173. I then solve the problem and get L = 2.634E-10 m or 0.263 nm. The answer in the back of the book is 8.36 nm.
    I have also tried using the Ti-89 solve function and Excel, but nothing gives me an answer even on the same order of magnitude. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?