Width of Finite Potential Well

In summary, to find the width of a rectangular well with a depth of 20.0 eV and a lowest energy level 3.00 eV above the bottom, you can use the equation tan((L*(2mE)^(1/2))/(2*hbar)) = ((V0-E)/E)^(1/2) and solve for L by rearranging the equation and plugging in the given values. The width of the well is 8.36 nm.
JX21
For an electron in a certain rectangular well with a depth of 20.0 eV, the lowest
energy level lies 3.00 eV above the bottom of the well. Find the width of this well. Hint: Use tan theta = sin theta/cos theta.

Equation for energy levels in a rectangular well: (2E-V0)sin[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar] = 2(V0E-E^2)^(1/2)cos[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar]

I have attempted this problem multiple ways, and I have done similar problems giving me correct results. The simplified equation I typically use for this type of problem is derrived from the energy levels in a rectangular well equation. It is:

tan((L*(2mE)^(1/2))/(2*hbar)) = ((V0-E)/E)^(1/2)

where I can solve for L with everything else known. I converted the energies to J using 1 eV = 1.6E-19 J, the mass of electron = 9.11E-31 kg, and hbar = 1.05E-34 Js. The right hand of the equation = 51^(1/2)/3, and then inverse tan of that is 1.173. I then solve the problem and get L = 2.634E-10 m or 0.263 nm. The answer in the back of the book is 8.36 nm.
I have also tried using the Ti-89 solve function and Excel, but nothing gives me an answer even on the same order of magnitude. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer is 8.36 nm. The equation for energy levels in a rectangular well is: (2E-V0)sin[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar] = 2(V0E-E^2)^(1/2)cos[(2mE)^(1/2)L/hbar] In order to solve for L, you need to rearrange the equation into the form of tan((L*(2mE)^(1/2))/(2*hbar)) = ((V0-E)/E)^(1/2). For this problem, you are given that the depth of the well is 20.0 eV and the lowest energy level lies 3.00 eV above the bottom of the well. This means V0 = 20.0 eV and E = 17.0 eV. Plugging these values into the equation gives you a right hand side of ((20.0 - 17.0)/17.0)^(1/2) = 0.45. Now you can use the inverse tangent function to solve for L. Inverse tangent of 0.45 is 26.18 degrees. This means L = 2 * hbar * (2mE)^(-1/2) * tan (26.18) = 8.36 x 10^(-9) m or 8.36 nm.

1. What is a finite potential well?

A finite potential well is a concept in quantum mechanics that refers to a region in space where a particle is confined by a potential barrier. The potential well has a limited width and depth, and the particle's energy is restricted to a certain range within the well.

2. How is the width of a finite potential well determined?

The width of a finite potential well is typically determined by the width of the potential barrier. This barrier acts as a boundary for the particle's motion, and the width of the well can be adjusted by changing the height or shape of the barrier.

3. What is the relationship between the width of a finite potential well and the energy levels of a particle?

The width of a finite potential well affects the energy levels of a particle within the well. A wider well allows for more energy levels, while a narrower well restricts the number of energy levels. This relationship is described by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known.

4. How does the width of a finite potential well impact the behavior of particles?

The width of a finite potential well can significantly impact the behavior of particles. For example, a wider well allows for more possible paths for the particle to take, leading to a greater likelihood of tunneling through the potential barrier. On the other hand, a narrower well may confine the particle to a smaller region and limit its movement.

5. Can the width of a finite potential well be changed in a physical system?

Yes, the width of a finite potential well can be changed in a physical system by altering the potential barrier. This can be done by adjusting the shape or height of the barrier, or by introducing external forces such as electromagnetic fields. These changes to the potential well can have significant effects on the behavior and energy levels of particles within it.