1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Width of Slicon Strip?

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A strip of doped silicon 270 µm wide contains 9.1E22 conduction electrons per cubic meter and an insignificant number of holes. When the strip carries a current of 110 µA, the drift speed of the electrons is 44 cm/s. What is the thickness of the strip?

2. Relevant equations

Where I is current, n is electrons per volume, A is cross sectional, v is drift velocity

3. The attempt at a solution

I've plugged into the equation above the variables given in the problem and solved for area. But how to find thickness, given the width? I think there's a missing link somewhere.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    Think about it: which area is that?
  4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    It's the surface area of the strip. I've thought about it. I have the width and the surface area but I cannot solve for thickness.
  5. Sep 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it's the cross sectional area of the strip - does this help you find the thickness?
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    Yes, just divide that by the width. Thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?