Understanding the Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with understanding the Wien Bridge Oscillator circuit and its mathematical functions. They provide a link to a helpful Powerpoint presentation and ask for clarification on the correct ratio and the role of resistors R1 and R2 in the circuit. They also express confusion about why the circuit creates sinusoidal voltage.
Omri
Hi all,

I am doing a project on electronics about the Wien Bridge Oscillator. I learned about impedances and operational amplifiers and now I'm trying to understand the Wien Bridge circuit. I'm having some problems understanding it and I would be very happy to get some help. I still have not understood why oscillations occur in this circuit, what are the conditions for oscillations to occur, and how it works mathematically. I would be extremely thankful if anyone could instruct me or relate me to some good material about it.

EDIT: to be more specific, I've been trying to understand the analysis here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien_bridge_oscillator" [Broken]
If it gives some more specific reference... but I am totally willing to try other materials as well.

Thanks a lot,
Omri
:smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can anyone please help...?

Check out this informative Powerpoint presentation: http://jeremya.com/engr/engr332/WienBridge-Oscillator.ppt [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the ratio should be:
[tex]\frac{V_O}{V_A} = \frac{Z_S + Z_P}{Z_P}[/tex]
and the presentation says it's inverse. In addition, I don't really understand how the resistors R1 and R2 affect the system - am I supposed to multiply the right hand side of the equation above by [tex]1 + \frac{R_2}{R_1}[/tex] to get it right?
The most significant question I have is, why does the circuit create sinusoidal voltage? I can get why oscillations will occur but I don't get why they should be sinusoidal.

Thanks for you help :-)

1. What is a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit?

A Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit is a type of electronic oscillator circuit that produces a sine wave output at a specific frequency. It uses a feedback network of resistors and capacitors to generate the oscillations.

2. How does a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit work?

The Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit works by using a feedback network of resistors and capacitors to create a phase shift between the input and output signals. This phase shift allows the circuit to produce self-sustaining oscillations at a specific frequency.

3. What are the components of a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit?

The main components of a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit are a feedback network of resistors and capacitors, an operational amplifier, and a frequency-selective element, such as a variable resistor or a thermistor.

4. What is the frequency range of a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit?

The frequency range of a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit is typically between 1 Hz and 1 MHz. This can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors and capacitors in the feedback network.

5. What are the applications of a Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuit?

Wien Bridge Oscillator Circuits are commonly used in audio signal generators, frequency synthesizers, and communication systems. They are also used in scientific research and testing, as well as in various electronic equipment and instruments.