1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wien's Law

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1

O_o

Hi,

I'm supposed to prove that Wien's Law: [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5} [/tex] includes Stefan-Botlzmann's Law [tex] R(T) = \sigma T^4[/tex] and Wien's Displacement Law: [tex]\lambda_{max} T = b[/tex]

For Wien's Displacement Law:

I know that I would have to find when [tex]P(\lambda ,T)[/tex] graphed against [tex]\lambda[/tex] has a slope of 0. So I think I need to find the derivative with respect to [tex]\lambda[/tex]. But the only two equations for [tex]P(\lambda,T) [/tex] I have are [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5} [/tex] and [tex]P(\lambda,T) = \frac{8\pi kT}{\lambda^4} [/tex]

So if I take the derivative of [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{8\pi kT}{\lambda^4} [/tex] with respect to [tex]\lambda[/tex] I have
    [tex]8\pi kT} * (-4) * \lambda^{-5} = 0 [/tex] Where I'm guessing that everything except [tex] \lambda [/tex] is being held constant and I don't know what to do from there.

Any hints or corrections of things I said would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you need to start with Planck's equation, which may be part of the f() function, above. I don't think your expression for P in terms of T and lambda is correct (although it might represent Wien's guess). That function has no peak - it gives an "ultraviolet catastrophe" as lambda goes to zero - there is no lambda_max.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?