Proving Wien's Law Includes Stefan-Boltzmann & Wien's Displacement Laws

In summary, the conversation revolves around proving Wien's Law and understanding its relationship with Stefan-Boltzmann's Law and Wien's Displacement Law. The speaker suggests finding the derivative of P(\lambda, T) and uses two equations, P(\lambda, T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5} and P(\lambda, T) = \frac{8\pi kT}{\lambda^4}, to do so. They also mention the importance of Planck's equation and point out a potential issue with the given equations.
O_o
Hi,

I'm supposed to prove that Wien's Law: [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5} [/tex] includes Stefan-Botlzmann's Law [tex] R(T) = \sigma T^4[/tex] and Wien's Displacement Law: [tex]\lambda_{max} T = b[/tex]

For Wien's Displacement Law:

I know that I would have to find when [tex]P(\lambda ,T)[/tex] graphed against [tex]\lambda[/tex] has a slope of 0. So I think I need to find the derivative with respect to [tex]\lambda[/tex]. But the only two equations for [tex]P(\lambda,T) [/tex] I have are [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5} [/tex] and [tex]P(\lambda,T) = \frac{8\pi kT}{\lambda^4} [/tex]

So if I take the derivative of [tex] P(\lambda,T) = \frac{8\pi kT}{\lambda^4} [/tex] with respect to [tex]\lambda[/tex] I have
[tex]8\pi kT} * (-4) * \lambda^{-5} = 0 [/tex] Where I'm guessing that everything except [tex] \lambda [/tex] is being held constant and I don't know what to do from there.

Any hints or corrections of things I said would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to start with Planck's equation, which may be part of the f() function, above. I don't think your expression for P in terms of T and lambda is correct (although it might represent Wien's guess). That function has no peak - it gives an "ultraviolet catastrophe" as lambda goes to zero - there is no lambda_max.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Proving Wien's Law includes Stefan-Boltzmann's Law and Wien's Displacement Law involves understanding the relationships between these laws and how they are derived. Let's start with Wien's Law:

P(\lambda,T) = \frac{f(\lambda T)}{\lambda^5}

This equation describes the spectral radiance emitted by a blackbody at a specific temperature (T) and wavelength (\lambda). The function f(\lambda T) represents the spectral distribution of the blackbody radiation, which is dependent on both the temperature and wavelength. This equation is derived from Planck's law, which states that the spectral distribution of blackbody radiation is proportional to the temperature and wavelength. Therefore, Wien's Law already includes the relationship between temperature and wavelength.

Now, let's look at Stefan-Boltzmann's Law:

R(T) = \sigma T^4

This equation describes the total radiative power emitted by a blackbody at a specific temperature (T). The constant \sigma is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann constant and is equal to 5.67 x 10^-8 W m^-2 K^-4. This law is derived from the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the total radiative power emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. Therefore, Stefan-Boltzmann's Law is already included in Wien's Law, as it is represented by the function f(\lambda T) in the numerator.

Lastly, let's consider Wien's Displacement Law:

\lambda_{max} T = b

This equation describes the relationship between the peak wavelength (\lambda_{max}) of blackbody radiation and its temperature (T). The constant b is known as Wien's displacement constant and is equal to 2.8978 x 10^-3 m K. This law is derived from Wien's Law, where the peak wavelength occurs at the maximum of the spectral distribution. Therefore, Wien's Displacement Law is also included in Wien's Law, as it is represented by the factor \lambda^{-5} in the denominator.

In conclusion, Wien's Law already includes both Stefan-Boltzmann's Law and Wien's Displacement Law. These laws are all interrelated and derived from the fundamental principles of blackbody radiation. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of these laws. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is Wien's law?

Wien's law, also known as the displacement law, is a physical law that describes the relationship between the wavelength of maximum emission of a black body and its temperature. It states that as the temperature of a black body increases, the wavelength of maximum emission shifts towards shorter wavelengths.

2. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the total radiation emitted by a black body as a function of its temperature. It states that the total energy emitted per unit surface area of a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

3. How does Wien's law include the Stefan-Boltzmann and Wien's displacement laws?

Wien's law is a combination of the Stefan-Boltzmann and Wien's displacement laws. It mathematically relates the maximum wavelength of emission to the temperature of a black body, taking into account both laws.

4. How can Wien's law be proven?

Wien's law can be proven experimentally by measuring the spectral radiance of a black body at different temperatures and finding the wavelength of maximum emission for each temperature. The data can then be plotted and compared to the theoretical curve predicted by Wien's law.

5. What are the practical applications of Wien's law?

Wien's law has many practical applications in fields such as astronomy, thermal imaging, and material science. It is used to determine the temperature of celestial objects, analyze thermal images, and understand the behavior of materials at high temperatures.