Confused by Geometry Problem - Can You Help?

In summary, the conversation is about a geometry problem where m<S is 20 more than four times its supplement. The person tries to solve it by setting m<S as x and finding the supplement of m<S, which is x-180. They then work out the equation x=4(x-180)+20 and get the solution x=233.333... which doesn't make sense. They ask for help and realize their mistake, that the supplement should be 180-x instead of x-180.
Imparcticle
I was doing my geometry homework earlier and came across a problem:

Find m<S if m<S is 20 more than four times its supplement.

What I did:
m<S= x
supplement of m<S: x = (x-180)

how I worked it out:
x=4(x-180) + 20
x=4x-700
700=3x
233.333... = x

My answer for x is obviously wrong because when I try to find m<S, I get 233.33... again:
x=4(2.333...-180) +20
4(53.33...)= 213.333... + 20 = 233.3333...

This evidently does not make any sense at all. The problem said "supplement", and 233.333... is most certainly not an angle measure which agree with the definition of supplement, I believe.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
180-x .

okay. That does not make a difference.

yes .

Imparcticle said:
okay. That does not make a difference.

my mistake. It does make a difference.

1. What is the best approach to solving a geometry problem?

The best approach to solving a geometry problem is to first carefully read the problem and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, draw a diagram and label all given information. From there, use theorems and formulas to manipulate the information and find a solution.

2. How can I improve my geometry problem-solving skills?

Improving your geometry problem-solving skills takes practice and patience. It is important to understand the fundamental concepts and theorems of geometry and to continuously practice solving problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also greatly improve your skills.

3. What should I do when I get stuck on a geometry problem?

If you get stuck on a geometry problem, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. It may also be helpful to work on similar, easier problems to build your understanding. If you are still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate.

4. Can you provide tips for memorizing geometry formulas?

To memorize geometry formulas, it can be helpful to create flashcards or practice problems using the formulas. It is also important to understand the concepts behind the formulas rather than just memorizing them. Additionally, using the formulas regularly in practice problems can help with memorization.

5. What are the most common mistakes made when solving geometry problems?

Some of the most common mistakes made when solving geometry problems include misreading the problem, not labeling all given information, and using incorrect formulas or theorems. It is important to double check your work and make sure all steps are logical and accurate.