Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wierd integration of exp(-t²)

1. May 18, 2012 #1
    Dear All,

I computed an integral that looks like erf(x) without problem: [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-t^2} dt = \int_{-\infty}^{0} e^{-t^2} dt + \int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-t^2} dt = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} [-erf(-\infty)+erf(+\infty)] = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2} [-(-1)+1] = \sqrt{\pi}. [/tex]

However, what about the change of variable: [tex] u = t^2? [/tex]
    Hence: [tex] du = 2 dt [/tex] and: [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-t^2} dt = \frac{1}{2} \int_{+\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-u} du = -\frac{1}{2} [e^{-u}]_{+\infty}^{+\infty} = 0. [/tex]

I just want to be sure: the second integration doesn't make sense, because the lower and upper bounds are the same, right?

Thanks.

Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2
    This is exactly why one splits up an integral from -∞ to ∞ into two parts and takes the limit of each: the normal rules of integration don't necessarily apply.

4. May 18, 2012 #3
    No

du=2tdt

5. May 18, 2012 #4
    Indeed, my bad, thanks to both of you.

6. May 18, 2012 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've already been told about the problem with du. Another problem here: u cannot be negative, yet you have the integrations limits being -∞ to +∞.

7. May 18, 2012 #6
    Dear D H,

Thanks for your reply. It's now clear to me that this change of variable is for positive values only.

Regards.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook