Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wierd symbol what is it?

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    My prof writes this symbol that looks (sort of) like this [tex]\ni[/tex] for "such that"

I just write the words "such that" in my notes...

But what is this symbol? I just choose the latex that looked most like what's on the board... is it the right one?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well in set builder notation usually [tex]\in[/tex] means "in" and "|" for "such that". Eg [tex]S=\{ k \in \mathbb{Q} | \sqrt{k} \in \mathbb{C} \} [/tex] means the set S is equal to the set of rational numbers such that sqrt k is a complex number.

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    I was introduced with this notation back when i started calculus. However most people use s.t rather than that.

5. Nov 2, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that if your professor does use that symbol, then it's very confusing. As Gib Z says, [itex]\in[/itex] means a member of and so the backward version means exactly the same: e.g. [itex]\mathbb{N}\ni n[/itex].

6. Nov 2, 2007 #5
    Okay. I just wanted to know if anyone else had seen it. I don't find it that confusing... I wanted to know if this is what it looked like becuse my prof writes it in this odd way.

7. Nov 2, 2007 #6
    The symbol for "such that" and epsilon has a bit difference. The symbol is larger. But I havent seen anything springer book using that symbol for such that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?