Wifi hotspot recommendations

In summary, Dave plans to travel to the pacific western United States and wants to upload data while he is there. He uses Verizon Wireless and AT&T, but is interested in other options. Iridium seems expensive, but might be worth it if the data needs are specific.
Tone L
Hi all,

I am planning a trip where I will travel to the pacific western United States. The states encompassing the trip are Idaho, Oregon, Washington and northern California.
I want to upload some data along the way. I have been seeing many maps that outline hot spot coverage with companies like Verizon Wireless and AT&T. However, I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience using another outlet. Or have you used these and they turned out pretty good?

Iridium seems expensive in general but might serve useful.

My resource:
https://www.sensorly.com/en/map/US/...=44.95969142394361,-114.11599015560716&zoom=6

Computer science news on Phys.org
Both Verizon and AT&T are good and have broad coverage. If you are in populated areas, gas stations, restaurants, libraries and motels also provide Wi-Fi.

Enjoy your trip.

Likes russ_watters and Tone L
Tone L said:
I am planning a trip where I will travel to the pacific western United States. The states encompassing the trip are Idaho, Oregon, Washington and northern California.
Are you American, as in from somewhere else in the USA ?
if you are, why don't you just use your phone as a wifi hotspot ?
If you don't have much data on your phone, maybe you should be looking for a better plan, seriously ! :)

If not from the USA, the same comments apply.

I am from Australia, using Vodafone Australia and have 40GB per month for a $45 / month cost and includes phone use
I use my own phone as a wifi hotspot for connecting my laptop, and the wife's ipad etc. to the internet
I even use it when traveling overseas to 85 of the top countries around the world and
it costs me is an extra $5 / day for international roaming with data.
So far have used it in the USA, New Zealand, Uganda and South Africa.Dave

Last edited:
Likes berkeman
I forgot to ask. Do you need to upload from wilderness mountain areas which get no cell signal? If so, then there are inexpensive solutions for text (google Inreach for example), but uploading photos or video needs an expensive satellite phone. The affordable choice is to wait until you return to civilization to do the upload.

anorlunda said:
I forgot to ask. Do you need to upload from wilderness mountain areas which get no cell signal?
Yes, exactly where I will need to be uploading!

Uploading status or text or pictures or video or audio?

anorlunda said:
Uploading status or text or pictures or video or audio?
Sorry for the delay. Text files.

1. What is a Wifi hotspot?

A Wifi hotspot is a physical location where you can access wireless internet connection using a Wifi-enabled device such as a laptop, smartphone, or tablet. It allows you to connect to the internet without using any cables or wires.

2. How do I find a good Wifi hotspot?

There are a few ways to find a good Wifi hotspot. You can use a Wifi hotspot finder website or app, ask for recommendations from friends or family, or look for public places such as coffee shops, libraries, or airports that offer free Wifi.

3. What makes a Wifi hotspot reliable?

A reliable Wifi hotspot should have a stable and strong internet connection, provide a secure network, and have a good coverage area. It should also have a user-friendly login process and offer good customer support in case of any issues.

4. Can I use a Wifi hotspot for personal or business purposes?

Yes, you can use a Wifi hotspot for both personal and business purposes. It can be used to access the internet, send and receive emails, make video calls, and more. However, it is important to check the terms and conditions of the Wifi hotspot provider to ensure it allows for commercial use.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a Wifi hotspot?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when using a Wifi hotspot. Since it is a public network, there is a risk of hackers intercepting your data. It is important to use a virtual private network (VPN) when connecting to a Wifi hotspot to encrypt your data and protect your privacy.