Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wii keeps on killing

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html

I'm not sure which is more outrageous, the

or the

This was a qualified radiologist??? :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds like she was dehydrated.

A hydrated person would have to pee really bad after the first 40 minutes of the game. I mean unbearbly painful, and by the sounds of it, they went on over an hour for sure. I couldn't imagine doing that myself.

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

ranger

Gold Member

"water intoxication" from not peeing. This is something new to me.

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4
    Why is this important?

Rach, I think you are the Shock Jock of PF.

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I keep waiting for those disgusting eating contests to kill someone and put an end to it. Really, at the least you would think that someone would choke to death.

I had never heard of a water drinking contest before, and likely won't again.

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why does the name Tyco Brahe come to my mind?

8. Jan 14, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On another related note: The alleged champion beer chugger

awe, I think this one is a fake. There is a guy who can do exactly what you see here with a full glass, but in the slow shot it looks to me like the glass is nearly empty when he tips it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Jan 14, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I thought he couldn't pee because of bladder problems.

10. Jan 15, 2007 #9

verty

Homework Helper

Well it does concern physics in a way, if you think of the mechanism of water intoxification (osmosis).

11. Jan 15, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you conclude that? There are more people than just radiologists working in a radiology office...receptionists, accountants, cleaning staff, etc.

If she died of water "intoxication," it's more likely she started out normally hydrated in order for the water consumed to have had such rapid effects of over-hydration. They don't say anything about her size, but if she was one of the smaller competitors, the volume of water consumed would have been a greater percentage of her body weight than in a larger person.

There's an interesting paradoxical effect in "water intoxication" (more correctly, the problem is hyponatremia, or low sodium concentrations) that the kidney filtration rate is reduced along with urine output. It's easy to confuse the symptoms with dehydration, and make yourself worse by consuming even more water.

Here's a case report of water intoxication in an Ironman athlete who happened to be part of a larger study on hyponatremia that gave good insight into the basis of this problem.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/38/4/e16
    T D Noakes, K Sharwood, M Collins and D R Perkins. The dipsomania of great distance: water intoxication in an Ironman triathlete, Br J Sports Med 2004;38:e16.

This is the report of one aspect of the larger study that the case study came from...
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/38/6/718
    K A Sharwood, M Collins, J H Goedecke, G Wilson and T D Noakes. Weight changes, medical complications, and performance during an Ironman triathlon, Br J Sports Med 2004;38:718-724.

12. Jan 16, 2007 #11

J77

That's pretty irresponsible from the radio people - they should be investigated over this.

13. Jan 16, 2007 #12
    I have heard of this happening quite a few times actually. What a stupid contest, seriously.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?