Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wiki page for Physics forums

1. Jul 22, 2013 #1
    Hi,
    Physics forums has a base of 300,000+ members.It is a huge community. But I can't find a Wiki page for it. In Wikipedia,, when I search as "Physics Forums", I can't get information about this website. Why a Wiki page for this website, not created? Can someone create a page for this website?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2013 #2
    Its nice suggestion yeah

4. Jul 22, 2013 #3
    Wikipedia has strict guidelines as to what is considered "notable." If you have questions about the site, you can PM an admin and I'm sure they'll answer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

5. Jul 22, 2013 #4
    I'm pretty sure wikipedia would remove any such article.

What would likely be acceptable, though, would be a link to PF from the "Physics" wikipedia page, in the footer of the article.

6. Jul 22, 2013 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What possible reason is there to create such a page? If one wants to know about Physics Forums, its history, etc., one could get a more accurate answer by simply visiting the forum itself!

Zz.

7. Jul 22, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Are other websites reporting about PF?
    If not, there is nearly nothing to write about.

8. Jul 22, 2013 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that a technical term? Like ##\lim_{x\to a} f(x) = L## if ##|f(x)-L|## is nearly nothing when ##|x-a|## is nearly nothing? :smile:

9. Jul 22, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

"PF started 2003, has n posts, m visitors/day, it is a forum for physics discussions."
    That is nearly nothing.

"It won prize x" (I think I saw something like that), "y said Y about the forum, while z said Z", ...?

10. Jul 22, 2013 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually it started about 2000 or 01. I joined in Dec 01. PF2 started in 03 with a complete reset, All post counts were zeroed then so for all purposes it appears to have started in 03. By then we were getting most of the current rules and guidelines in place.

11. Jul 22, 2013 #10

jtbell

12. Jul 22, 2013 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I worry that if there were a wiki for PF, it would a magnet for editing by crackpots and trolls who have been banned from PF.

13. Jul 22, 2013 #12

Evo

Oh, very good point!

14. Jul 23, 2013 #13
  15. Jul 23, 2013 #14
    Yes, I totally agree to this point. Once accidentally, I read a blog of a crackpot, who was banned from physics forums for discussing some form of philosophy. He was authoritative and by his language, we could conclude that he was trying to take revenge on this website at all costs.

Thus, creating a Wiki page may be misleading to potential members..

16. Sep 25, 2013 #15
    It appears there is even a category for Internet forums
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Internet_forums

If started properly I'd support it's creation and would later help edit it. I can't start it though for conflict of interest.

I think it's a good idea. I'm not scared of trolls. Anyone want to take a try at it? Take a look at the other forum pages to see what a format that gets accepted looks like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook