Wikipedia Not Loading: Chrome Security Issue

• Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary: Windows and the Linux kernel don't play together nicely in this respect: when dual booting (or even using a Linux VM) I have found that I often need to fix the time settings in...That sounds like a Windows issue.Windows and the Linux kernel don't play together nicely in this respect: when dual booting (or even using a Linux VM) I have found that I often need to fix the time settings in...It might be something to do with Windows not recognizing that the VM is running on Linux.It might be something to do with Windows not recognizing that the VM is running on Linux.
bob012345
Gold Member
In the last week Wikipedia no longer loads on Chrome. I get a security issue. I believe it is because there is an issue involving security certificates that the Chrome browser cannot get anymore from the Wikipedia site. Anyone else seeing this? I have been told Firefox only works now. Any comments. (Unfortunately, I cannot load Firefox on my Mac laptop right now).

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have no problems at all with Chrome. I assume that your browser settings or extensions have changed.

fresh_42 said:
I have no problems at all with Chrome. I assume that your browser settings or extensions have changed.
I did not change anything before it stopped working (that I know of) others have reported this too.

bob012345 said:
I did not change anything before it stopped working (that I know of) others have reported this too.
The other option would be an Apple update that might have taken place.

fresh_42 said:
The other option would be an Apple update that might have taken place.
Well, Wikipedia stopped loading on my Ipad too and I have not updated my Ipad system or my laptop.

If it works on FF and does not on Chrome, then it has to be searched for in the browser settings, or the combination browser - OS. I have sometimes problems loading pages if the response time goes down (for various reasons). I would also check the space demand of your chrome instance. It can get quite high and causing trouble because it is not enough left.

Likes bob012345
fresh_42 said:
I have no problems at all with Chrome.
Same here. No problems.

This is the message I get and it's happening on more and more sites I try to go to now.

Your connection is not private Attackers might be trying to steal your information from personal.nat
Simply trying to log into a site and it is continually blocking me with this ...
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from personal.natwest.com (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Ok, fine, but I do not believe it yet it will not let me ignore it and go there anyway!

Likes sysprog and bob012345
If their certificate expired, it would affect everyone. I'm getting it fine on Chrome and Opera, but not on IOS. I would say it's Apple's problem.

Likes bob012345
anorlunda said:
If their certificate expired, it would affect everyone. I'm getting it fine on Chrome and Opera, but not on IOS. I would say it's Apple's problem.
Thanks. It might be an Apple issue. On my mac mini which has Chrome Version 91.0.4472.114 it works but on my mac laptop with V94.0.4606.71 and on my old Ipad it doesn't. Since both use the same wi-fi it can't be the internet provider. Also, my Ipad did not get to Wiki on a Corner Bakery wi-fi this morning so it may be Apple.

I have a new KaiOS flip phone that I can surf the net on. As of two weeks ago Wikipedia no longer works on it as well.

anorlunda said:
Isn't it probable that people have different certificates depending on a lot of factors? My certificate might expire now but yours in five years...

bob012345 said:
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
This is almost always IME because your clock is wrong, often due to a timezone/daylight saving setting.

bob012345 said:
Isn't it probable that people have different certificates depending on a lot of factors? My certificate might expire now but yours in five years...
No, you don't have a certificate. The certificate belongs to the website owner and is sent by their web server.

Likes bob012345
pbuk said:
This is almost always IME because your clock is wrong, often due to a timezone/daylight saving setting.
I'll check into that, thanks.

Turns out some apps say my clock is wrong but my clock appears to be correct.

The internet runs on Universal Time and so the system clock must be correct in that frame. The time displayed in an app is local time, derived from (1) the system time (2) the system time zone setting (3) the system daylight saving setting. It is possible that there are compensating errors among (1) (2) and (3) causing the 'correct time' to be displayed.

Windows and the Linux kernel don't play together nicely in this respect: when dual booting (or even using a Linux VM) I have found that I often need to fix the time settings in Windows.

Likes bob012345
pbuk said:
No, you don't have a certificate. The certificate belongs to the website owner and is sent by their web server.
Each device has a set of root certificates used to validate the certificate the site sends. It's possible that you have an updated one and @bob012345 has an old one which expired.

Apple issues system updates with the new root certificates for supported systems. Some software maintains its own set of certificates instead of using the system-wide ones. In either case, you just need to stay updated with recent versions of the software.

If you're running an old version of the OS, Apple may not have issued an update for it. You can go to the issuing authority to download the latest root certificate and install it manually.

I use an iPad 2 that Apple stopped supporting a long time ago. I can't get updates.

In the past week, I've been having trouble on that iPad with several sites including Wikipedia.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes pbuk, bob012345 and Tom.G
Great info @vela !

Anyone know where I can find how to actually use OpenSSL.exe to manually install a certificate? I'm using OpenSSL ver. 0.9.7c. which reportedly has that functionality.

Thanks,
Tom

vela said:
FYI, Let's Encrypt's root certificate expired on September 30. Wikipedia uses an SSL certificate signed by Let's Encrypt, so I'd guess that's the problem you're all seeing.
Oh good catch @vela - this had completely passed me by.

anorlunda said:
I use an iPad 2 that Apple stopped supporting a long time ago. I can't get updates.

In the past week, I've been having trouble on that iPad with several sites including Wikipedia.
Caution: installing root certificates from links you find on the internet is a huge security risk. Type the following into your browser address bar and select 'install' in the dialog:
https://letsencrypt.org/certs/isrgrootx1.pem

Tom.G said:
I'm using OpenSSL ver. 0.9.7c. which reportedly has that functionality.
Can you not upgrade to something more recent? The current release of OpenSSL is 3.0.0, but you should at least go to 1.1.1l (that's a capital I at the end: what were they thinking?). This should use the root certs distributed with your OS: of course you also need to ensure your OS is up to date.

Last edited:
I am not an expert but i would check for viruses and reinstall chrome.

Likes bob012345
Tom.G said:
Great info @vela !

Anyone know where I can find how to actually use OpenSSL.exe to manually install a certificate? I'm using OpenSSL ver. 0.9.7c. which reportedly has that functionality.

Thanks,
Tom
Thanks to @vela for links to the new certificates!

I discovered that certificate installation is a Browser function.

This works for older versions of Firefox (v 43.0.1):

1) Download one or both of these files and save somewhere on disk, I used the the .pem version

2) In Firefox, in the menu bar click
Tools
Options​
Advanced​
Certificates​
View Certificates​

3) In the pop-up window click the "Authorities " tab
click the "Import" button​
In the new "Select File..." pop-up, Navigate to where you saved the Certificate file and double-click on the file.​

4) Back out to the Firefox browser and you should be good to go without the "Untrusted " message.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes vela and bob012345

1. Why is Wikipedia not loading on Chrome?

There could be several reasons for this, but the most common one is a security issue. Chrome has a built-in security feature that can block certain websites, including Wikipedia, if it detects potential threats.

2. How can I fix the security issue on Chrome to load Wikipedia?

To fix the security issue, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, disabling any extensions or plugins that may be causing the problem, or updating Chrome to the latest version. You can also try accessing Wikipedia on a different browser to see if the issue persists.

3. Is it safe to override the security warning and continue to Wikipedia?

In most cases, it is safe to override the security warning and continue to Wikipedia. However, it's always best to exercise caution and make sure you trust the website before proceeding.

4. Can I add Wikipedia as an exception to the Chrome security settings?

Yes, you can add Wikipedia as an exception to the Chrome security settings by going to the "Settings" menu, clicking on "Advanced", and then "Privacy and security". From there, you can add Wikipedia to the list of allowed websites.

5. Will disabling Chrome's security settings make my browser less secure?

Disabling Chrome's security settings can potentially make your browser less secure, as it removes the built-in protection against malicious websites. However, if you trust the website you are trying to access, you can add it as an exception to maintain some level of security while still being able to access the site.